Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

Spring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights ๐Ÿ’ฎ

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

@itsfi 

How cute! I am going to do something like this next year - great idea.

@missy94612, it makes for a fun gift.

What a perfect mask for the day, @itsfi. yum to Reeseโ€™sโ€ฆsomehow I missed those this Easter. Thankfully they are a year-round treat! 

@eshoe, thank you. Itโ€™s always great to discover a new material that works so well. 

@itsfi Super cute and festive mask!

@Mellmars1185, thank you. I havenโ€™t made my way through all their offerings but the  JMsolution sheet masks Iโ€™ve used have all been good to my skin. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ 

@itsfi awwww that looks so cute!!! Sounds spectacular

@lmaster, it was wonderful. Always fun to discover a new material. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ 

๐Ÿ˜‚I love the Easter re-creation of the mask packaging, @itsfi!

@quspork, I thought for a split second about using actual carrots, but the Reeseโ€™s Pieces looked more appealing. ๐Ÿ˜‚ 

Love the bunny theme @itsfi - this one sounds interesting, itโ€™s nice when something adheres so well!

@Kim888, the material on this one was amazing! I've been really impressed with JMsolution sheet masks, and am looking forward to trying the others I have in my stash from this brand.

@itsfi  This sounds great.  The sheet itself is wonderful.  

@Cissy63, it was wonderful! I've had great results with every JMsolution mask I've tried so far; happy that continued to be the case with this one. 

Oh God @itsfi ! this is sooo cute ๐Ÿฅ•๐Ÿฅ•๐Ÿฅ•. I got a chance to finally try reese's for the 1st time (we don't have them here in Italy, but somehow, I found them in a store)....they are good, but I find that the filling is too salty....is it just me? I love peanut butter, but I was expecting more sweetness to it ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™€๏ธ

@Skunk12puzzola, the packaging on this one is very cute. I love that it performs so well - a good one inside and out.

I could eat watermelon year-round, but it's probably better suited to the warmer months and the summer in particular. ๐Ÿ‰

Hungry - SC Watermelon Vitamin E mask.jpg

Spoiler
My intro to this line of masks was the matcha tea version; that varietal did not agree with my skin, and I hadn't planned on trying another mask from the range, but when @Margalee had good things to say about this SEPHORA COLLECTION Vitamin Mask Watermelon + Vitamin E, I put it on my list for the spring sale. This is a thicker leaning cream that claims to provide a shot of hydration to the face and body.  I had some reservations about putting something on my face, which is very sensitive, that can also be used on my body, which is generally not sensitive. I did a patch test on the side of my neck and having not experienced any irritation or additional sensitivity, I applied it all over my face and left it on for the recommended 10 minutes before rinsing off with a lukewarm washcloth. 

Results-wise, my still-on-the-drier-side skin felt soft, smooth and lightly hydrated, but not any more than I experience with other hydrating masks. I attribute that to my skin type and think that this mask might be better suited for those with normal, combination or oily skin. It's fine for those with dry skin too but for me, it wasn't what I would consider a thirst quencher for dry or dehydrated skin. That said, I would be interested in trying it again in the warmer seasons when my skin is less dry and more combo (oily T-zone, normal elsewhere).

As for its performance as a body mask, I haven't used it in that manner - it seems odd to wash up, apply this all over and then rinse off again. So, instead, I've used it as a body cream / moisturizer and that has been working nicely.  There's a scent to it, but it was very light and did not compete with any other scented products I might use afterwards, like a perfume. The scent itself doesn't really smell full on watermelon to me - I can pick up the slightest bit of a watermelon smell, but to my nose, it has a very faint, fresh, soft floral scent. Not bad, just not the watermelon scent I expected. I'll plan to use this again on my face when summer rolls around, but for now, this will be a nice body cream or even a hand cream, because I do like how soft and hydrated but not greasy my skin feels after using it.

SC watermelon mask swatch 1.jpg
SC watermelon mask swatch 2.jpg

@itsfi I appreciate your run down on this one. I have tried it (as well as the matcha and grapefruit) and found it a littleโ€ฆdifferent? There is a certain thickness to it that makes it feel like a humectant on my face. Like when runners wear the foil suits - that warm, uncomfortable feeling. 

Interesting that you tried it as a body moisturizer. I was thinking of using it as a foot mask, then wrapping my feet with plastic wrap (maybe even reusing a grocery bag? ๐Ÿ˜‚) and socks. It just did not bode well for a face mask.

@eshoe, interesting; humectants generally don't make my skin feel thick or uncomfortable like you described, but it could be different skin types and climate. Occlusives or emollients, on the other hand, are typically thicker in consistency, and coat the skin, creating a barrier between it and the air so I might normally associate the thick feeling or the sauna like feel/effect of a foil you mentioned to be more the result of an occlusive or an emollient. Do you normally experience similar feelings with products containing glycerin? Or squalane? Or shea butter? 

Hmmm @itsfi; I had a feeling I was maybe using the wrong word to describe it. It definitely sounds more like an occlusive or emollient from what you describe. There are (thankfully) not many products I have tried that make my skin feel โ€˜suffocated.โ€™ So few that I could not name another one right now, although I know they exist๐Ÿ˜‚ 

It is possible that a high concentration of glycerin might be it. Serums with that near the top of the list tend to feel heavy as well. 

@eshoe, glycerin is a common humectant found in skincare products aimed at hydration. It is often the second ingredient listed after water in sheet masks. Does your skin often feel heavy when you use sheet masks? 

Everyoneโ€™s skin responds differently to different products under differing conditions, so yours may just not respond well to humectants or certain humectants. I wonder though if itโ€™s the shea butter in this particular mask that might have yielded the feeling of heaviness or that your skin felt suffocated. Shea butter is a humectant, occlusive and emollient. Itโ€™s not uncommon for people to describe it as heavy. Itโ€™s found in a lot of body butters and body creams as a result of its moisturizing properties. 

21,372 Replies
testing