Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

March Madness
 - Competition is in the air. Find a worthy dupe of a ๐Ÿ’ฐmask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge - PART II

It is quite the TLC for the nose @eshoe. A little too much for me to do on a routine basis. 

It seems that @SchylarR tried this one and had similar feelings about it, @itsfi. At least youโ€™ve cleared out a bit of room for another mask now! ๐Ÿ˜‰

@itsfi wow that sounds really time consuming, I don't realize how long it takes

It was @lmaster! Here I was thinking each step would take no more than 5 minutes each. Not so. ๐Ÿ˜† 

@itsfi Sounds kinda fun! I need to dig out my strips. I hate them lol. 

You donโ€™t like nose strips @Samtian?

@itsfi Yes and No. I like looking at the stuff it pulls out, but it hurts lol.

@itsfi 

the little piggy noses are so cute!

They're super cute @nuinui933. Not gonna lie, that's why I picked up this set - the packaging. ๐Ÿ˜‚

I have some โ€œSโ€ to wrap up from last week! 

Spoiler
Volition silt gelee mask: 
so this is one of my favorite clay masks. I will say, this is a new tub and the formula doesnโ€™t seem the same. The color is slightly lighter, the smell was slightly different and the texture seemed slightly different. It still did a good job but it wasnโ€™t quite as creamy as my first tub which was disappointing 

briogeo superfood body cream: 
I am obsessed with this new body moisturizer. It smells amazing! Itโ€™s the perfect blend of coconut and banana though more heavy on banana. If absorbs really well and is non sticky 

when snow magic face mask. This is a standard bio-cell like sheet mask. The fit was nice as usual for the brand. If had a sort of citrus like scent which was pleasant. I left it on for the full 30 minutes and it was nice and cooling. I didnโ€™t find it super brightening but it was hydrating, I would use it again! 

Also finally got to try the sol de janero strength and smooth shampoo and conditioner. So I did love how this smelled. My hair was left super soft after using it, but almost like too soft. I donโ€™t think it did a very good job of smoothing - thereโ€™s this sort of thing that happens to my very curly hair that I heat style when itโ€™s like too soft so it ends up just being puffy and frizzy. Iโ€™m glad I got to try it and I loved the smell but I wouldnโ€™t buy 

87CF1EFD-C1F8-4272-8792-4104F309E764.jpeg

โ€ƒ

7D37F002-4E51-4BA2-9C0F-879C64C953F8.jpeg

โ€ƒ

@Kim888  I didn't even know that body cream existed- it definitely sounds great! The scent you described sounds exactly how the Briogeo banana shampoo & conditioner smells - have you tried those?  
Glad to hear the When mask turned out pretty decent for you! I didn't find it to have the greatest brightening effects either, and I also don't love that there's alcohol- but like you, I'd still use this one again!

Hmmmm @Kim888 the Briogeo sounds like Glow Recipe Banana Soufflรฉ Moisture Cream for your body๐Ÿฅฐ

@Kim888 The body cream sounds delightful!

The briogeo body cream sounds so delicious @Kim888 

@Kim888, I also thought the SdJ shampoo/conditioner left my hair feeling too soft. I thought it was just me. I *think* it may be the shampoo more than the conditioner, but can't say for certain. I am going to have to pick up that Briogeo body cream - the scent on it sounds fabulous!

@Kim888 

that body cream sure sounds like it smells nice.

Ooh, glad to hear your liking the new Briogeo cream, @Kim888. I ordered it this weekend and can't wait for it to get here!

Well I wrapped up my Holika Holika sheet masks weeks. My opinion is these serve as decent filler masks. With one big exception: if you don't do lavender (like @WinglessOne) all the versions I used except for the charcoal have lavender extract, lavender oil or sometimes both. I bought a few boxes at Marshalls and was sent some other varieties from @Shosh85 and @missjeanie - big thanks again to both of you sweeties!

My faces:

Spoiler
LemonLemonAcai BerryAcai BerryCucumberCucumberGreen TeaGreen TeaCharcoalCharcoalRiceRiceShea ButterShea ButterStrawberryStrawberryPlaceholder for Pearl - picture is missing :(Placeholder for Pearl - picture is missing ๐Ÿ˜žAvocadoAvocadoDamask RoseDamask Rose

The material is nice and thin and the fit was good for me. Easily smooshable where needed and although I'd like an extra centimeter on the forehead, I'll overlook it. Looking at the packages, the varieties seemed to have similar ingredients including good like centella asiatica and glycerin, maybe like matricaria extract which can promote wound healing but for some can be an irritant, and then going more into potential irritant territory with lavender, bergamot, orange and other citrus extracts. I personally enjoy lavender in baths as relaxation before bed but am not a floral scent fan, especially on my face. The wear time was 20-30 minutes. I don't know why some stayed moist longer than others but think I'd never go 10 from the instructions saying 10-20. Some tended to focus on nourishing or moisturizing while others claimed brightening, wrinkle-helping and other results. My conclusion is that in general the results weren't that different from mask to mask. My skin looked fresh and even but I didn't get a wow. I got minimal to no tack with all of them. I always put moisturizer over top because I don't think just an essence mask is enough to moisturize my skin. I tend to do this for almost every mask I use so these were no different. The packages only contained the slightest dab of excess serum to use on the neck -or- hands, not enough for both. But since I wasn't wowed by the serum, I didn't feel like I was missing out by not being able to use extra serum again on my face. Most fall into a use again but not repurchase category though I have some that I probably wouldn't yearn to try again because of scent preferences.

Breaking down the scents I got from the masks and if I saw additional results

Spoiler
Acai Berry - perfumy scent, had orange, bergamot and lavender in ingredients but didn't really pinpoint those scents just general perfume

Avocado - smelled like lavender but not overpowering, this one claimed it helped with wrinkles and well, no results in that category unfortunately

Charcoal - light floral scent, for some reason masks made of black material seem to have an edge on the others for fit, just a bit better than the rest for that

Cucumber - kinda floral scent, did not stand out

Damask Rose - smelled like..rose, so at least that was expected

Green Tea - light to medium green tea scent that lingered during wear, probably one of the better ones in my opinion because of green tea scent compared to floral

Lemon - pleasant lemon scent, also appreciated because that was expected

Pearl - heavy lavender smell but also maybe sage-like or grassy, my husband got medicinal from it, it did brighten slightly better than the others but not compared to other brightening masks I've used

Rice - holy lavender! I use I think mild scent with rice and this was right in your face

Shea Butter - also strong lavender scent, I used this one during tv time before bed which was preferable to lavender in the daytime

Strawberry - I tried this one before and remember it not giving any strawberry vibes. To me the scent was like a leftover lemon that had been soaking in iced tea with a touch of floral. Odd, but that's the best description I can think of for it. So the scent was odd but okay

Moral of the story: I'm on a mask no-buy to tame the collection. As I use more masks, it encourages me to be more selective in which 10 packs I will pick up in the future. Even with sharing there's a lot to use so it's gotta be a strong mask to warrant 10 coming into the collection. I'll use what I have and probably have a mini Holika Holika showdown again in the future. But in the end these wouldn't be ones I'd choose to pick up again. If there was a variety pack of these, maybe I'd play the Holika Holika comparison game again but I don't need 10 of one version. I like showdowns or duels or whatever with masks. Fine to try not to buy for me.

I'm with you on these ones @ShortErica .  I'm glad I got to try some out, but I wasn't wow'd by any of them.  They'll due as filler masks, but a 10 pack would be a no go for me again as well.  Those dang 10 packs are the death of me... I go through phases of 'use stuff up/don't buy too much' and then the 'you need to have everything' ones.  I've gotta start being a lot more selective when I start going back to stores.  Those TJ's/Winners 10 packs are easy to avoid when I'm not in the stores lol

So true @missjeanie. Not seeing 10 masks for say $8-10 for the pack makes resisting a lot easier

I really had no clue there was so many different ones @ShortErica good job trying these all out

testing