Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

March Madness
 - Competition is in the air. Find a worthy dupe of a ๐Ÿ’ฐmask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge - PART II

Ooo I think I was looking at that cleanser. How long have you been using it @Shosh85?

@ShortErica @WinglessOne  I have two cleansers in rotation right now - this CosRx one and the Paula's Choice Hydrating cleanser. Before that I was using the CeraVe hydrating cleanser. I have been using the CosRx cleanser every night for about a week and I use the PC in the AM. Most products that foam/bubble up cause me a lot of dryness, and it does leave my skin feeling drier compared to the PC and CeraVe cleansers, but not so dry that my skin feels stripped. It kinda feels like it's giving me a bit of the deeper clean compared to the other two.

Do you have a preference of PC vs CeraVe @Shosh85? My latest bottle has a slight plastic scent when applying but doesn't last. Just enough to bug me. My on deck is a La Roche Posay cleanser but if you are impressed with PC, maybe that will be the next I check out. Thanks!

@ShortErica  I do think that the PC hydrates a wee bit better than the CeraVe and I love the lotion-y consistency. I probably should start taking notes on other products I use besides masks, because I don't remember a whole lot about the CeraVe. I honestly don't remember how it smelled, I just remember not loving it or hating it. I'm not so sure you'd like the scent on the PC any better - I don't think I'd describe it as plastic - in mask language I'd describe it as your standard sheet mask kind of scent. ๐Ÿ˜… I don't love it, but I really only smell it for a few seconds. I'm wondering how @WinglessOne would describe the scent on the PC, since I feel like I can't really describe it well. ๐Ÿค”

Hmm.. @Shosh85. The thing that bugs me about the CeraVe is I've used bottles and bottles and there was never a scent and now there is. And according to my bottle it is the same exact ingredients as the last bottle I had. So I felt like my trust was violated and it's time to move on. Plain ole sheet masks sounds okay.

@ShortErica  That's so weird. I don't remember the scent too well, but I feel like I would've remembered a plastic scent ๐Ÿค” My first thought, like @WinglessOne already mentioned, is that maybe the actual bottle/plastic is different. I'm almost tempted to buy a bottle and sniff it, ๐Ÿ˜‚ and if it weren't for liking the PC more, I probably would be. 

@Shosh85 I mean I was thinking of sniffing bottles at the store but don't think they would appreciate that. ๐Ÿ˜‚

@ShortErica @Shosh85 To me, the Paula's Choice Optimal Results Hydrating Cleanser kinda smells like banana peel. Not banana, just the peel. There's no banana extract or added fragrance in the cleanser, so I have no idea what's responsible for that scent. ๐Ÿ˜„ And honestly, I kinda like it. Something about it is nice in the morning, when I'm waking up in the shower. 

It's weird that the CeraVe cleanser suddenly has a scent. If the ingredients are the same and the formulation hasn't been juggled (maybe there's now a higher % of one ingredient, I dunno)... hmm. I wonder if the scent is from the bottle, not the productโ€”if CeraVe now uses a different kind of bottle. Even if it looks the same, it might be made of something different than the old bottles. Whatever's causing it, if the scent bugs you, then it makes sense to switch cleansers. ๐Ÿ™‚ But yeah, the PC cleanser definitely has a scent. 

Thanks for the scent analysis @WinglessOne. I'm sad something that was a staple for me needs to be switched but you're right, if it bugs me it's time to do it.

I'm with you @Shosh85 I tend prefer sweeter dessert type wines too.  Canadian Ice wine... I could drink it in an 8 oz glass lol.  Love some gewรผrztraminers and rieslings too!

@missjeanie @Shosh85  It's been a long time since I had ice wine... now I'll have to pick up a bottle next time I'm at my favorite wine retailer. 

My favorite dessert wines are pedro ximรฉnez, port, and gewรผrztraminer. Some folks are intimidated by port and px (sherry), but you don't have to spend lots of money to get a good one. I'm a big fan of tawny port, which isn't nearly as pricy as bottle-aged vintage port. I also love riesling, but more as a dinner wine than dessert wine. It's great with spicy foodsโ€”and any kind of food, really. "Never trust someone who hates riesling" was one of my college professors' mottos ๐Ÿคฃ and you know what, there's some truth to that. 

@WinglessOne I haven't had port in years!!  In the Navy we use it to toast the Queen, I've loved it since that first toast!

@WinglessOne @Shosh85 @missjeanie, riesling with spicy food is delightful! ๐Ÿท

@itsfi I love spicy food too!

It's soooo good, isn't it @missjeanie?!!!

@missjeanie  I was actually with a group of people from work, (I was a dental assistant for over a decade) and my boss was making fun of my sweet tooth. ๐Ÿ˜‚ I don't remember any of the names of the different wine I had, I just know I liked the sweet stuff. ๐Ÿ˜‹๐Ÿ˜‰ Now I kinda wanna try some Canadian Ice wine!

@WinglessOne, flights of French and Argentinian Malbecs? I feel like I need to see if Argentina makes any masks (sheets or otherwise) to make a real go of a wine and sheet mask evening! ๐Ÿ˜‰  Hmmm ... ๐Ÿค” homework for me. But first, I must look for an Argentinian Malbec; not sure Iโ€™ve had one before. 

Oh ... right, back to the sheet mask. ๐Ÿ˜‚ Dewytree has some very impressive masks. Love that this one is 100% Cica extract. 

I love this idea of a wine and mask pairing @itsfi !

We can thank @WinglessOne for the inspiration @missjeanie! Iโ€™m always interested in wine pairings; thatโ€™s typically involved food, but Iโ€™m completely open to expanding that to masks. ๐Ÿ˜‚ It may mean I have to sip my wine through a straw, which makes me cringe ๐Ÿ˜ฌ  a bit when I think about it, but if the wine and the masks are good, I can live with the cringe and the judgment that may follow. ๐Ÿ˜ 

@itsfi Most Argentinian malbec you'll find in stores comes from the Mendoza area, but a couple other regions also produce good wines. If you've ever had a French malbec, expect the Argentinian version to be more fruit-forward and softer (less backbone). It's generally very tasty. It's a great red wine that nearly everyone likes, once they've tried itโ€”even folks who turn their noses up at "new world" wines. Malbec out of Argentina is getting more expensive each year, as those wines gain more popularity and notoriety. But one of my favorite things about these wines is how they illustrate that "more expensive" doesn't automatically mean "better." 

ANYway... I also wondered if there are any sheet mask brands from Argentina. I couldn't think of one off the top of my head, so I added it to my rabbit hole list. If you fine one, let me know! 

Completely agree with you @WinglessOne  on pricing and quality - they are not necessarily reflective of the other. Iโ€™m sure Iโ€™ve had a Malbec or two at some point, ๐Ÿ˜ but itโ€™s probably been a while. I get set on certain varietals and havenโ€™t been venturing out to try new ones as often as I did previously. The Argentinian Malbecs sound like something I would enjoy.

Iโ€™ll be sure to keep you posted if I find an Argentinian mask. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ Would love to know if you discover anything going down that rabbit hole. ๐Ÿ˜‰ With my mask stash โ€œdwindlingโ€ down, Iโ€™ve been thinking of how I want to approach curating new masks. 

testing