Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

March Madness
 - Competition is in the air. Find a worthy dupe of a ๐Ÿ’ฐmask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge - PART II

Thin milky serum sounds great @WinglessOne 

F is for Focus and Fresh Food 

Spoiler
I tried out the Deeep Focus white action complex mask. This was a super interesting two part mask. There are two eye patches and then a normal sheet mask went overtop. The mask itself smells โ€œmaskyโ€, was generally a good fit, and was super creamy and well Saturated. The super interesting thing is that the eye patches dissolve! I wore the mask for about 20 minutes and the patches had fully dissolved at that point. So in terms of whitening/brightening, this is extremely impressive. I was really surprised at how visible the brightening was, especially under my eyes!! It is quite tacky though - itโ€™s still a bit tacky like an hour later. I would still definitely use it again. 

the fresh food one was meh imo. Fit was okay, a bit narrow. It was saturated well but it did have a sort of chemically scent - I was expecting a fruity scent given the packaging. It wasnโ€™t particularly plumping - I donโ€™t really feel it did anything 

F1113F17-2657-42A6-97E5-69630ED95F8A.jpeg

โ€ƒ

4882AD17-EB3D-4ABC-890F-4764C5B0B018.jpeg

โ€ƒ

I laughed at the "masky" scent feedback and then I thought, is that good or bad, @Kim888? I love using eye gel patches underneath my sheet mask, especially when I morning mask, but it is so interesting that the eye patches in this mask dissolve!!! Interesting that your undereye area stayed tacky for so long.

That's too bad about the Cranberry mask being more meh, @Kim888 but at least the Deep Focus sounds like it turned out well!

@Kim888  Oooh, the Deeep Focus Mask sounds great! I've heard of dissolvable eye patches before, but haven't yet tried them! They sound interesting...and fun! I love that you described the scent as "masky" haha! It's not as good as fresh & fruity, but it could definitely be worse! 

Dissolving eye patches is so interesting @Kim888 What will mask creators think of next?!

Wish it had a fruity scent too @Kim888 chemical scents are not appealing

Mornin' maskers! ๐Ÿ‘‹ The "blind pick" theme is one of my favorites of the masking challenge. Thank you @veronika23 (hope you are well! Miss you!) My blind picks are not completely random though. Except for being dehydrated year-round, my skin can, at times, be sensitive. This week and part of last week has been one of those times. So instead of just reaching into my bin of masks and just picking a mask, I decided to make a game of it.  ๐Ÿ˜Š Though I'd probably make a game of it even if my skin wasn't being so picky highly selective. This time, I reached for my bag of Scrabble tiles, closed my eyes and drew a tile . . . and M it is! 
Mediheal.jpeg
M is for moisturizing, Mediheal, magic?, and multi-masking - I applied The Ordinary Salicylic Acid 2% Masque 1.7 oz/ 50 mL (not pictured) (thanks again @PrettyPaint!) on a couple of spots an let it sit for a few minutes before applying the sheet mask. I will do this with my spot treatment masks or place an acne dot over my blemishes before layering a sheet mask on top.  

Spoiler
Mediheal N.M.F. Intensive Hydrating Mask is not a new mask to me, but this particular one is - Mediheal reformulated and repackaged a few of their sheet masks. In addition to the new look, the mask itself also has a new feature - the mask, which is said to be made out of 100% cotton linter, is pressed with "MEDIHEAL" in various places. You can see the imprint of the mark when you first pull the mask out of the packet. The idea is that the "MEDIHEAL" becomes more visible when the "treatment is complete." I'm pretty sure that's a fancy way of saying that it shows up when it's time to remove the mask, but it seems like you'd know without the imprinted name becoming visible, either by keeping track of your wear time (directions recommend 10-20 minutes) or by feeling / seeing that the mask is drying up. I could see this new feature being helpful for those new to sheet masks though.  

Material, Adherence & Fit
I can't recall whether this is the first time I've heard of a mask's material being identified as cotton linter. According to SpringerLink (an online resource containing scientific, technological and medical journals, books and reference works), cotton linters are the "relatively short fuzz left on cottonseed after the cotton ginning process [and] is the purest cellulose in chemistry having hundreds of end uses." 

Here, the material of the mask is soft, thin and adheres beautifully to the skin and wore comfortably for the nearly 40 minutes I had it on my currently dehydrated-combo skin (oily T zone, dry cheeks). Fit was excellent - I only had to snip off an inch from the bottom; I didn't have to make any incisions or adjustment to the holes for the eyes or mouth! 

Performance:
I generally keep a sheet mask on for 20-30 minutes and typically around that mark, most masks are still damp and certain areas of the mask start leaning on the drier side of damp at that point. I don't usually keep a mask on until it's completely dried out; in part because I've read that longer doesn't necessary mean better. I wanted to see how IF the "MEDIHEAL" would be visible so I checked the mask every so often after the 20-minute mark. I first started seeing it around the 25-minute mark but the mask still had plenty of the clear, watery, clean-scented essence containing several good-for-your-skin ingredients. Half of the strip of material right above my lip was almost completely dry and I could see the MEDIHEAL imprint clearly after about 38 minutes. So the imprint does show up. The mask claims to be moisturizing and to provide intense hydration and it delivered. Between the two though, I'd say it's more hydrating than moisturizing. My skin looked clear, fresh faced and even though my eyes felt a wee bit tired, my face, thankfully, didn't look it. Mediheal's sheet masks are ones that work well for my skin; I don't know if there's a mask within the collection that I would say is supremely stellar, in that it's one I have to haul backups of immediately, but most I have used have been in the repurchase category and the same holds true for this one. 

Ingredients:  from medihealus (dot) com
Spoiler
Water (Aqua/Eau), PEG/PPG-17/6 Copolymer, Glycereth-26, Glycerin, 1,2-Hexanediol, Willow (Salix Alba) Bark Extract, Butylene Glycol, Xanthan Gum, Hydroxyethyl Urea, Panthenol, Trehalose, Betaine, Arginine, Polysorbate 80, Carbomer, Allantoin, Adenosine, Disodium EDTA, Frankincense (Boswellia Serrata) Resin Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Ethylhexylglycerin, Cabbage Rose (Rosa Centifolia) Flower Water, Green Purslane (Portulaca Oleracea) Extract, Polyglutamic Acid, Witch Hazel (Hamamelis Virginiana) Water, Sweet Almond (Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis) Seed Extract, Mushroom (Fomes Officinalis) Extract, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis) Leaf Juice, Beta-Glucan, Glutamic Acid, Phenylalanine, Glutamine, Proline, Alanine, Fragrance (Parfum)

Love Mediheal, @itsfi! I don't think I've tried one of the reformulations yet but the idea of using visual cues with the imprint on the mask is an interesting one. I can definitely see that being helpful for newer maskers or even for multitasking maskers who might not being paying particular attention to the clock or how the mask is feeling against their skin. 

@quspork, do you have any favorites from the brand? I noticed that they have in the past done a lot of collabs - with Line Friends characters and BTS, but the collabs seem to be with new packaging and not necessarily new masks. I was surprised to learn from this new redesign that the left side of the area above my upper lip is the first to dry out. I would have put money on it being my cheeks first, which, itโ€™s a good thing I didnโ€™t actually put money on that. ๐Ÿ˜† 

@itsfi  Love it! Such a creative way to incorporate the theme!

I agree, the Mediheal masks I've tried have been nice, but nothing super amazing.

It's funny, I remember seeing the word MEDIHEAL on a mask I did once, but I didn't read the directions and didn't realize it had a purpose! Haha! I'll have to watch out for that when I use my other masks from the brand ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜ƒ

@Shosh85, yeah, itโ€™s interesting to see how different brands fall out of categories for me the more sheet masks I use and how many skin needs change as Iโ€™ve aged. I still like Mediheal sheet masks and most masks by them are ones I would happily use again - theyโ€™re solid and I know what to expect; I donโ€™t instinctively jump at the chance to purchase them... unless thereโ€™s a new mask I happen upon, then Iโ€™m sure my knee jerk reaction is โ€œoooh? What is this?!โ€ ๐Ÿ˜‚ Some things never change. ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ๐Ÿ˜ 

That is definitely a unique way to choose a mask @itsfi 

Ha! ๐Ÿ˜‚ Ohhh, unique. You just gave me a "U" for one of the letters of the week. Thank you @lmaster๐Ÿค— What's left of the sheet masks I want to use up by the end of the year are grouped by a mask's purpose, so I thought this would be more of a blind pick. 

@itsfi  This mask sounds neat! Love the scrabble tile idea.

Thank you @emaisgr8! Gotta put the Scrabble tiles to good use. lol. ๐Ÿ˜„

That's a cool way to pick a mask! Thanks for your thoughts. Miss you too @itsfi  ๐Ÿ–ค

Thank you @veronika23! My skin is just beginning to mend from breaking out after using a concealer that didn't agree with my skin and dealing with "maskne", and I didn't want to risk aggravating it with a mask drawn completely at random, so I did this instead. I do enjoy the "blind pick" challenge - it's a lot of fun. โค๏ธ I'll revisit it again and again during the rest of the year. ๐Ÿ˜€

@itsfi  oh no! I hate when that happens. At least you know what made you breakout... and totally understand why you wouldn't want to completely blind pick a mask. Hope it clears up fast. ๐Ÿ˜Š

@veronika23, thank you, V! ๐Ÿ˜Š I didnโ€™t even consider the concealer could be the culprit until a BIC lovely @danielledanielle posted about a similar result from the concealer. ๐Ÿ˜” So thankful she mentioned it; otherwise, Iโ€™d probably still be reaching for it and making things worse!! ๐Ÿ˜‘ Now I know, and my zit zapper products have been working overtime. ๐Ÿ˜† Good thing about it is that Iโ€™m going through my stash at a faster pace. ๐Ÿคช๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚ 

@itsfi   Ohhh. It's good someone posted about it then! Hahaha well at least nothing will be going to waste... I've been having a hard time using all my products/doing a full routine... I really need to use up what I have before it goes bad. ๐Ÿ˜‚

2 Replies
testing