Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

March Madness
 - Competition is in the air. Find a worthy dupe of a ๐Ÿ’ฐmask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: RE: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge - PART II

The Tatcha Luminous Deep Hydration Lifting Mask 4 x 0.68 oz/ 20 mL masks is the other one that I know of, @ladyassassin. I donโ€™t see it in a single here, unfortunately! The brand has it, though, and at $25 itโ€™s quite a splurge for a single use mask๐Ÿ˜ณ 

Re: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge - PART II

@ladyassassin  This is my fav too!

W = watermelon. Tonightโ€™s mask was the new Sephora Clean Watermelon Face Mask. 

I wish I could remember how I felt about the original "dirty" version of this mask, for comparison.I wish I could remember how I felt about the original "dirty" version of this mask, for comparison.

Notes: 

Spoiler

Claims: Hydrates, plumps, and tones skin. 

Ingredients: As with most Sephora sheet masks, this oneโ€™s star ingredient is near the end of the ingredients list. But rice ferment has high placement, so this mask should provide some brightening. And the amino acids found in sake should help to smooth skin texture and provide hydration. 

Spoiler
Aqua (Water), Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Rice Ferment Filtrate (Sake), Polyglyceryl-10 Laurate, 1,2-Hexanediol, Hydroxyacetophenone, Lecithin, Parfum (Fragrance), Sodium Polyacrylate, Sorbitan Caprylate, Xanthan Gum, Sodium Hyaluronate, Citrullus Lanatus (Watermelon) Fruit Extract, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate 

Performance: This thin, meshy, eucalyptus fiber mask contained almost all the clear runny gel serum available in the sleeve. Like the grapefruit mask, this one didnโ€™t cover as much of my jaw as Iโ€™d like. I did lots of eyehole tailoring, widening the holes at both corners and the top, mostly to keep the sheet from drooping down into my upper lash line and getting serum in my eyes. I also shortened the nose, widened the mouth hole, and shortened the philtrum to keep it off my cupidโ€™s bow. Iโ€™ll have to remember to make all these cuts on each of the Sephora Clean masks I boughtโ€”preferably before I put them on my face. 

There wasnโ€™t much of a watermelon scentโ€ฆ more like a very light watermelon scent thatโ€™s quickly lost in a rather prominent scent of sea shore candle buried in powdered laundry detergent. The sheet was comfy and cooling. This mask is meant to be worn for 5 minutes but I went a total of 35, then spent a couple minutes massaging and pressing in residual serum. I had no pilling and some mild tackiness. 

Results: Nicely hydrated and brightened skin, with a bit of bounciness. The maskโ€™s fragrance clung to my skin after I applied moisturizer; I canโ€™t smell it much right now, but I still hope it completely disappears overnight. I keep picking on the scent but I donโ€™t hate itโ€ฆ eh, itโ€™s just not at all what I expected from a watermelon mask, and itโ€™s not my favorite skincare scent in general. 

If this mask didnโ€™t have this โ€œhey, thatโ€™s not watermelonโ€ fragrance and Sephora lowered the price of singles (or offered a value-priced pack of 5 or 10), Iโ€™d consider buying more of this one. $5.50 USD seems a bit high for whatโ€™s mostly a hydrating rice ferment mask. My superstar hydrating mask (Abib Mild Acidic pH Heartleaf) costs $4 per individual sheet, and the box of 5 LuLuLun Premium Kyoto Geisha masks (which contains sake lees) works out to $4.60/mask, soโ€ฆ Iโ€™m just sayinโ€™. 

@WinglessOne  I was having trouble pinpointing the scent on this one and your description was spot on! ๐Ÿ‘Œ I was pleased with the results as well, but it's hard to get past that scent. ๐Ÿ˜ฌ

@WinglessOne those old "dirty" masks ๐Ÿคฃ

@ShortErica  ๐ŸคฃI will forever be annoyed by the whole "clean" beauty trend. 

RE: Re: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge - PART II

@WinglessOne, this is the version I had in my recent gratis, and I think I described it as having a laundry detergent-type scent. It really threw me off guard! I bought the Lychee version to try, hoping for better luck with that one. Iโ€™ve never tried to cut a mask prior to placing it on my face; most times Iโ€™m lucky just to get it unfolded before dripping most of the serum all over the sink. I might try it just out of curiosity sometime ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ

Re: RE: Re: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge - PART II

@eshoe  That laundry detergent fragrace seems to be in a lot of Sephora's sheet and stick masks. Sephora really loves that scent for some reason! 

I also bought the lychee mask, and a few other: spirulina, pomegranate, pineapple (which I might regret; we'll see how my face handles it), and coconut. Interestingly, the coconut mask contains more watermelon extract than this watermelon mask. ๐Ÿ˜„ Anyway, can't wait to hear your thoughts on the lychee mask! Let's hope it doesn't smell like laundry. 

@WinglessOne  Have you tailored a mask while it was on your face? If so Iโ€™m impressed!!

@ather  Yep, I tailor most masks while they're on my face. ๐Ÿ™‚ I use a pair of blunt nosed brow/beard trimming scissors that have curved-out tips, so I can't accidentally stab myself while cutting. 

I'm still considering buying a second larger pair of scissors for jobs like chin trimming, but these do the job just fine.I'm still considering buying a second larger pair of scissors for jobs like chin trimming, but these do the job just fine.

I do cut some masks before putting them on my face, though. I use a lot of different LuLuLun masks, so I pretty much know how their sheet fits me. I can tailor those as soon as I pull 'em from their pouches/box. 

@WinglessOne I didn't care for this one much, I agree the scent was mehhh, and I felt it stayed pretty tacky

@lmaster  I wasn't too annoyed with the tackiness; I've used masks with far more tack than this one. Moisturizer helped tone it down some. But that scent... could've done without that. This mask should've smelled like watermelon, dang it! 

Also, I don't know why Sephora markets this as a watermelon mask. They should call it a rice/sake mask instead, since there's more of that in the formula than watermelon extractโ€”and rice ferment is good stuff. Hmpf. 

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge - PART II

Doesn't really fit the theme but it is green & named after another planet๐Ÿคท๐Ÿ’š Fit? its a clay mask Smell? strong, but just don't eat or go near food & you'll be ok. I opened the fridge without thinking & spent the next 5 min trying to find out what went bad๐Ÿ˜ฃ then remembered what mask i had on....๐Ÿคฆ Consistency?easily spreadable, a mousse- like clay. It does dry down but doesn't feel tight. Ease of use?ok, I was able to remove this mostly with my hands & it could be done but using a cloth was much easier, which I used for about half my face Would I  purchase/try again?maybe for purchase. I did feel this cleared my pores better than the Eradikate did on my trouble areas & I left that on overnight. My skin feels smoother but not stripped. I've used this before & do have more samples of this to use before I make up my mind whether or not to buy. I'm finding moving all my opened masks to one drawer has really helped to actually USE them. Right now, ๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’š. one star deducted for the scent, but if this works. I can deal with the smell!

@sonnydee  Meh, too bad about the scent! I agree though, if the results are good enough I could put up with it ๐Ÿ˜ฌ

just gotta grin & bear it @Shosh85๐Ÿ˜

just gotta grin & bear it @Shosh85๐Ÿ˜

RE: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge - PART II

@sonnydee the scent is something Iโ€™ve heard mentioned more than once here. BUT also that it works incredibly well, soooooo.....

@sonnydee  Iโ€™ve never tried this one. Now Iโ€™m curious to try it!!

@sonnydee, I love the results from this mask. Agree with you about the scent but itโ€™s not a dealbreaker for me. To me, itโ€™s fine if a mask doesnโ€™t fall within a theme, but yours here does fit! W is for woman founded and woman owned (I donโ€™t think the brand has been sold)! 

Love that you are going through your open / partially used masks. It definitely helps to have them in one place! 

@sonnydee  Each time I try a Saturn sample, I can't handle the sulfur scent longer than 20 minutes. I'm glad you're able to deal with it and actually get overnight use from it! 

oh @WinglessOne sorry for the confusion- I forgot to put...

oh @WinglessOne sorry for the confusion- I forgot to put a wear time. I left Saturn on for about 30 min. & Kate Somerville Eradikate as a spot treatment, on overnight. KS had a much more pleasant scent but not sure about the effectiveness yet๐Ÿค”

Re: oh @WinglessOne sorry for the confusion- I forgot to put...

@sonnydee Ah, I see. Yeah, EradiKate smells much better than Saturn. ๐Ÿ™‚ I always wonder how anyone can handle that strong sulfur scent overnight. Anyway, you're still doing better than me at 30 minutes with Saturn. ๐ŸคฃI'll have to wait til I have a spot that might respond to sulfur and my nose is too congested to smell much, before I try going longer than 20 minutes with Saturn again. 

testing