Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Nailed It
|

Show Me Your Nails 2.0

Due to some technical glitches with the original Show Me Your Nails Thread, I am starting a new thread with @vegchililover78's blessing (She says "hello," by the way!).

Please share your nail looks, nail art and manicures!

69F442B5-7FA6-41C9-B9F9-3C495B8E78CB_1_105_c.jpeg

...And don't forget to check out @Beadshopgirl's Nail Stamping Thread for stamping inspiration! ❤️  

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Nailed-It/The-Nail-Stamping-Thread/m-p/3328865

Re: Show Me Your Nails 2.0

@WinglessOne  Oh my how do you choose one!  These are so beautiful 😍.  I really like the magnetic ones so much😄

Ohhh your mystery bag contained so many gorgeous polishes @WinglessOne! 😍 The magnetic shades turned out phenomenally; my eyes keep going back to 20. Thanks for the reminder; I picked up a mystery bag from the brand; went back to my email and it looks like I ordered at the very end of August so I’ll have to look up tracking details. 💅🏼 There’s also the possibility it arrived and is squirreled away in the corner with some other packages 📦 that need some attention. 

@WinglessOne  These are all great colours! 

Thanks @ather !

They are soo lovely @WinglessOne I can see where them being numbered sequentially doesn't feel as random as I know I might/would have expected from a mystery bag. But your totally right, these are all stunners at the end of the day 😁 I love the turn out of your bag!

Thank you 

@CynthieLu  @Titian06  @Mellmars1185  @JoSometimes and @RGbrown! I don’t normally post my polish hauls in this thread; instead, I post them in the monthly hauls threads. My exception is any mystery bag/box/bundle purchase: I like to share those in this thread in case anyone’s curious about the ~mystery~ or bought the same surprise bundle and wants to compare notes. 😄 I could start cross-posting my normal polish hauls here… maybe I’ll do that if I get an amazing deal on something, or find a very unique polish somewhere, or wanna share my experience buying from a new-to-me retailer. 

If anyone’s interested, I think Beautometry still has these mystery bags for sale. 

@WinglessOne I don’t even know where to begin with these! They’re all so pretty and unique!

I hope your hands recover quickly! 

@WinglessOne Wow! These shades are so stunning. I am really drawn to shade 30 because I personally do not own anything like it. It looks so glam. I wonder if these are still available. I am going to check out this brand. I hope you can enjoy them soon.

Right? @Mellmars1185 @WinglessOne They look soo good I wish I grabbed one too 😉

These are so pretty, @WinglessOne ! 🤩  Looking forward to you modeling these great colors!  I didn't get this one.  So many choices; this one didn't make the cut.

@WinglessOne 

😍😍😍 So many purdies! I almost feel sad now that I passed these up (almost lol, I have too many and am feeling it for the moment), but I can't wait to see what you do with them 💖 Here's hoping we see some of your manis soon!

I have a question for all my Nail Gurus!  I see some people on social media who use an old school eye shadow foam 'brush' to rub a powder onto their nails and get a glazed or duochrome look.  Is this something that would work with eye shadow?  Or is the powder a special powder?  Would it work on any old polish and then seal with a top coat?  

@missjeanie 

They're probably using some form of chrome/mermaid powder in most of those videos, it's all the rage these days, but sure, you could try it with eyeshadow too. The nail powders are just finely milled loose pigments AFAIK, and while eyeshadow has other stuff added, they're mostly just pigments too.

Would you be using regular polish or gel?

Oh heck, here's how with both 🙂

Regular polish:

Powders will not stick to fully dry regular polish, so there are two ways...

1. Paint your base color, and wait 3-4 minutes or so for the "not tacky when touched, but definitely not dry yet either" moment. It's a tricky moment to find, though not impossible.

2. Gently apply the powder. The sponge applicators are popular, but I never have much luck with them, I always have a hard time telling how much pressure I'm using and wind up denting or smearing the polish. I find my fingertip to be a bit better, or the best is to use a nail stamper (rub the powder on the stamper, then lightly stamp it on your nail).

3. Add topcoat. If you are using a superfine chrome powder, you'll want to go with a waterbased one first, as the solvents in a regular topcoat will break down the chrome finish into a more "pixelated" glittery look. If you don't care about a chrome finish or aren't using a chrome powder in the first place, your regular topcoat will be fine!

The alternate method: instead of waiting for the magic moment, apply your base color, let dry completely, even use your quick dry top coat if you want to speed that along, then add a layer of a sticky base (Orly Bonder, CND Stickey, among others) and let that dry. They dry tacky and will grab the powder for easier application; apply with a foam applicator or finger or stamper. Then follow up with topcoat as above.

I find the "magic moment" application to have a slightly smoother end result, especially for chromes, but the alternate method is vastly quicker and easier with less frustration.

For gel:

Do your base coat and color as usual, and a layer of no wipe topcoat. Add chrome powder with applicator/finger/stamper/whatever you so desire, then add another layer of topcoat. 

@RGbrown I have both regular and gel polish and have found the last few years I prefer gel as it lasts longer for me and I don't really get chips.  I'm going to try this out with gel tomorrow night!  Thank you for the tips!  I've got a few quite shiney shadows that I don't use on my lids so might as well give it a go on my nails!  

Oh I'm pumped to try this now!  

@missjeanie  Good luck! I have tried it with eyeshadows and it was ok. I prefer the chrome powder myself. Also using a no wipe gel top coat is best! Can’t wait to see it. 

@missjeanie 

Oh oh oh, that reminds me of something else...wear time will go down a bit with a powder layer because it effectively acts as a barrier against the top layer having much to adhere to. When you do your no wipe topcoat layer under the powder, do not cap your tips with it, and be sure to brush off any excess powder off the tip after you've applied it. Then when you do the topcoat over the powder, be sure to cap your tips this time, giving that edge of the topcoat a little bit of grip around the front of your nail to help extend wear a little.

Good luck, and I can't wait to see how it turns out! 💖

@RGbrown This is the encouragement and know how I needed!!

@missjeanie - Let us know how it goes and show pics (even if not perfect).  I'd love to know how eyeshadow works for you! 🤔

@Titian06 Oh of course!  I'm in bed already otherwise I'd be doing it now! lol

Decided to rework my purple and red polishes a little, and I'm so much happier with them now ❤️💜

Homemade polish 19.2 (pinky, ring, thumb): I poured it into a mixing cup, tripled the amount of suspension base, and added a little more red & blue liquids to rebalance the purple jelly, and the concentration of flakies/glitters is much better! It's still predominantly a sparkly red polish, but now the purple base shows through here and there, and I love it 😍

Homemade polish 18.2 (middle, index): I roughly doubled the suspension base in this one and application was so much nicer, plus the flakies and glitters show a little better now that everything has a little more room to spread out. The red accents are still subtle, but they aren't overwhelmed by the volume of shimmer pigment anymore. 

IMG_20230914_170540865~2.jpg

Overcast daylight (the white dots are blotting out a small boo boo that I forgot to hide with a bandaid first 🙃 we're also ignoring the lump near the tip of my thumbnail...managed to gouge it before it was dry, but didn't succeed at smoothing it back out very well, whoops)

IMG_20230914_170450817~2.jpg

Indirect light

IMG_20230914_170656997_HDR.jpg

Another angle for a slightly better close up of each 

Gorgeous!! Simply gorgeous @RGbrown!!! 💜💜❤️❤️

testing