Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

The Offical Anti-Haul Thread

By this point most of us have watched an anti-haul video (or a hundred) but I don't see a current anti-haul thread on the BIC and I think it could be fun to start a running "anti-consumerism" thread for a bit of a change. For those that aren't familiar with the term an anti-haul is listing off things you are NOT going to be adding to your cart for whatever reason that may be. Rather it's because you simply don't like the look of that new palette release or if you've been eyeing something for a while and are itching to buy it but you really know that you don't need it (or that you really shouldn't be buying it). I'm starting a no buy this month and I know many people are on a low/no buy so why not have some fun with our budgeting by dragging some products, helping talk ourselves out of the new product releases or old cult classic favorites that you "just had to try" by raving why we are not going to buy it! This is also the spot to voice why you simply aren't inspired by a product even if everyone else is rushing to add it to their cart. So, don't beat around the bush and share your anti-haul products 🙂

Some Ground "Rules":

1. This is the place to be open and honest, don't tip-toe around the point because you think you might hurt some peoples feelings that enjoy a certain product. If you have strong opinions, let them out! (Example: The packaging is hideous and the product is overhyped!)
  2. Tell us why you are not interested in the product get as specific (or not) as you'd like but please do let us know why you aren't going to buy it. You may be helping someone else be talked out of a product as well 🙂 (Example: I already own 25 other lipsticks in a strikingly similar shade of mauve)
  3. If someone is anti-hauling and dragging a product you like, do not get offended. How boring would the world be if we all wanted/liked/bought the exact same things? Not everyone has the same taste, what is ugly to someone is gorgeous to someone else.
  4. Products are inanimate objects, please do not argue over disagreeing about products. The products feelings will not be hurt if it is anti-hauled or dragged by another BIC-er online and I'm sure plenty of people will go buy it. Not every product is for everyone, if you want to purchase a product go ahead and don't let anyone here stop you. Let's not argue about something as trivial as disagreements about makeup packaging, perfume scents or eyeshadow colors. It isn't worth it and we are all better than that. 
  5. Use this place as your soap box outlet and have lots of fun doing it! 🙂

Additional anti-consumerism support and threads:

2022 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD 

2021 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD 

Monthly Misses: January 2022 

Monthly Misses: December 2021 

samantha-march-anti-haul.jpeg

Tags:

Re: The Offical Anti-Haul Thread

@Mellmars1185 saw this briefly in store during the sale and liked it better.  I'll have to look again.   Kicking myself...hate these LE palettes.  But I guess they all are these days.  Does Sephora even do that cash discount on $50 purchases around the holidays anymore?

@greeneyedgirl107 I know what you mean. When this palette first sold out. I was having FOMO. I don't recall a discount on $50 purchases during the holidays?

@Mellmars1185 Thanks for weighing in.  I think they did away with the cash off $50 2-3 years ago.  It used to be a nice little promotion.  I'm going to say $10 off BI, $15 off VIB and $20 off Rouge.  But I might be mistaken.

@greeneyedgirl107 Oh my, I almost forgot about that Reward... they haven't rolled that out in a few years but I sure do miss it. It was super nice during the holidays especially for a last minute gift spring or a little "treat yourself" moment. Here's to hoping we can get a little something for the holidays this year... hmm maybe a VIB/Rouge exclusive? ~fingers crossed~

@Mellmars1185 @makeitup305 thanks for the support!  Weird, but I didn't receive emails about these tags....is this happening to anyone else?

@greeneyedgirl107 I reported it on the Re: Beauty Insider Community Feedback . I was also experiencing it. I got an answer if you want to check it out 😊

@Mellmars1185 I got this tag!  Thanks for reporting this previously, and letting me know to find the answer.  I've been so MIA on the boards.  It's a long story, but other than working way too much, I've been spending all my free time shopping for jeans.  It's a journey since styles have changed since I bought 5-7 pairs from before the pandemic...and those don't fit!  Plus...and I'm aware this is a first world problem...the best mall in my area is north of the city and I'm south - I can't hit it constantly like I do the one in the south which I go past when I come home from work.  So, I feel like I'm not getting the best stores/selection.  I could go on and on.

PM me if you want a link to Rakuten.  No pressure whatsoever.  I joined years ago after hearing buzz on BIC - or else I never would have jointed.  Here's what they're doing right now for promotions:

• Refer your friends.

Send your referral link to friends and family.

• They join and spend $40

Qualifying purchases must be made within 90 days of joining and total $40.

• You each get $40!

Refer more friends by 11/16 to get more $40 bonuses.

@greeneyedgirl107 yes, hold on strong!

Anti-Haul Summer 2022PAT McGRATH LABS Mothership X Eyeshadow Palette: Moonlit Seduction

pat+mcgrath+moonlit+seduction+palette.png

All The Details:

Spoiler
Y'all I'm not going to lie this is a flippin' beautiful, drop dead gorgeous and absolutely appealing palette to me. However, during the times when I'm on a no-buy I try my best to be a little bit less impulsive and a little bit more critical. When I first saw this drop heart eyes were flying everywhere, I currently own wayyy too many palettes and 0 from Pat McGrath-a brand I've been wanting to dip into for so, so long. I really thought this was going to be the one. Maybe not now during my no-buy but in the future... wrong. I really have to pause on the eyeshadow in general, I will maybe MAYBE allow myself to buy one eyeshadow palette for the rest of 2022 because I have so many that it's just not something I can continue to buy more of. I already have my eyes on a particularly pricey eyeshadow palette that calls my name more than this one despite of how tempting this gorgeous Pat McGrath palette is. It's gotten to the point where I almost feel guilty whenever I purchase a new eyeshadow palette, sad face. Unfortunately, this one is just not going to be mine and I'm coming to terms with that. Plus the $128 price tag is a bit much (although the palette I'm eyeing is a bit more than that 👀😬) but I feel like since I'm such a neutral-boring-brown-basic eyeshadow type of gal through and through, that I would likely only use half of this eyeshadow palette. I'm going to live vicariously through the BIC guys/gals that pick this up and am looking forward to seeing everyone's looks with this stunning palette. 

résiste-tempt.gif

Note to Self: I want it, but I have to pass. 

Anti-Haul Summer 2022: The Guerlain Ombres G Quad Eyeshadow Palettes (all of them...)

Screen Shot 2022-08-07 at 1.40.35 PM.png

All The Details:

Spoiler
Oh Guerlain, how I love you. When I genuinely think of luxury one of the brands I instantly think of is Guerlain from their beautiful pearl-shaped eye catching highlighters to their gold flecked primers to their high end prices, how could anyone think otherwise? I love a good splurge item but is it just me or are these shades simply a bit... dated? Don't get me wrong, they are beautiful shades but I truly think I own multiples of every single shade offered in each quad they are releasing the summer/fall of 2022 in other palettes I own. This just feels a bit... disappointing, especially for a brand like Guerlain. The fact they included mini plastic sponge applicators and virtually non-usable mini brushes in the palette is also not my favorite aspect. For $85.00 is this anywhere near worth the price tag? Absolutely, positively not (in my opinion, of course. To each their own) There are just so many high-end brands that offer so much more in eyeshadow palettes for even less than $85. My huge viseart palettes that are filled with usable, wearable and great quality colors come with 12 shades for $80.00-this simply is a no from me. In general, I've always loved Guerlain products but their eyeshadow palettes were never something that caught my eye or grabbed my attention enough to purchase. Sigh

What do you think? Am I being too harsh? Will you be purchasing the Guerlain Quads, if so-which one(s)? 🙂

expensive-marilyn-monroe.gif

Note to Self: Spend the $85 elsewhere, sis. 

@QueenMarceline I won’t say otherwise to convince you to break no buy low buy as I’m overwhelmed with lots of my makeup junks that I love dear and near 😂🤣 I tried Guerlain eyeshadows here and there in the past but most of them are so so. These are actually solid. I got the blue quad and probably get the Silver one too. However I’m not sure this is a good marketing move. They could offer half the products for 2/3 the price and I can see these will sell liked hot cakes. But who knows what Guerlain strategy is. 

@blackkitty2014 The blue quad is honestly most unique and appealing to me, so you made good choices 😛 ❤️ haha

@QueenMarceline I also will not be buying any. $85 for only 4 shades is a big nope for me. ...actually high price items are losing their appeal to me in general. 

@Samtian Yeah it's a bit much for me... four shadows just isn't enough. I'll stick to their other luxury goodies but the shadows are just not doing it for me at all.

Anti-Haul Winter 2022: Jaclyn Cosmetics

maxresdefault.jpeg

All The Details:
Spoiler
I used to watch Jaclyn Hill all the time back in the day, but I haven't seen her around or really felt the pull to watch her content in a long time (before the infamous hairy lipstick incident). I did love her collab with Becca for the Champagne Pop highlighter and I was happy that she re-launched her brand so that the most recent thing we remember from her won't forever be hairy lipsticks... yikes. I was open to this new brand (even though I'm really starting to get bored of the celebrity/influencer) brands but when I saw this dropping at ULTA I was pretty intrigued and was hoping to see some cool new products. However, nothing really caught my eye other than maybeee the highlighters. Most of the products have ~3 star averaging reviews on the ULTA site thus far which isn't promising. The reviews of this brand in general have been pretty rocky. I have enough highlighters and since that's the only thing that caught my eye I think I'm going to skip this one all together, at least for a while. Sorry Jaclyn...

giphy-8-1500566248.gif

Note To Self: Thank you. Next.

@QueenMarceline I was actually really excited about her nude lipstick collection before all the drama. Nothing else has really caught my eye. I do have a mini highlight and I like it but not enough to go buy something else. 

@makeitup305 The BECCA version or her new ones from the Jaclyn Cosmetics line. 

@QueenMarceline I've had both. Champagne Pop was actually my first expensive highlighter, although it was never my favorite once I had more. I had her face palette with Becca, as well, which was really nice. I now have a mini baked highlighter of her own brand. 

16495720248765044087983390655973.jpg

16495721654504307820101348491368.jpg

 it's the shade Iced. It's a peachy champagne and really nice. I dont think anyone needs to go run out and buy it, though.

@makeitup305 I own the champagne pop but usually like going with a lighter or pink highlighter instead. That shade actually looks pretty up my alley, how's the performance? I could be wrong but I think the ULTA reviews were a little less-than-stellar (3-3.5 stars if I'm remembering correctly). 

@QueenMarceline I think it looks great if your skin is not set or if you use a spray over it, it melts in beautifully. On my dry skin, just by itself it's not as flattering.

@QueenMarceline. Ditto here. Frankly, I've no desire to purchase a famed vlogger product.

But Good for Jacyln to enjoy a degree of success in a crowded marketplace. I've heard her name but haven't watched her tutorials, etc. 

7 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos20
  • samantha-march-anti-haul.jpeg
  • Clinique-Cheek-Pop™-HighlighterLimited-Edition-2022-Tiger-Banner-2.png
  • Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 11.52.02 PM.png
  • HairSupport_Mobile_1080x.jpeg
  • 4117d0ed2c0ca066b5e8bb4842ad14e0-brex-310_800x.jpeg
  • ariana.jpeg
  • hot-to-get-away-with-murder-htgawm.gif
  • fenty-beauty-by-rihanna-diamond-bomb-how-many-carats-gloss-bomb-universal-luminizer-diamond-milk-review-swatches.jpeg
  • 518826CB-A12F-4144-A7A3-3EABA13EAF2A.jpeg
  • 1d6932ef6d191505cfcec872e3645131.gif
  • 2f_sku_136042_1000x1000_2.jpeg
  • 200w (1).gif
  • maxresdefault.jpeg
  • giphy-8-1500566248.gif
  • 16495720248765044087983390655973.jpg
testing