Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Monthly Misses: December 2021

Another month has flown by.  Now's the time to take a look back, and sound off on the products that just didn't work for us.  It could be a fragrance that didn't last, a gloss that was gloppy or a spray that didn't hold.  We want to know - b/c it'll help us make informed decisions and we can compare and contrast our experiences.

lead-square-v3-1631889822.jpg

Re: Monthly Misses: December 2021

I received a GWP of TOM FORD Black Orchid Parfum Fragrance . Not a fan. 

@Mellmars1185 Lol I genuinely am starting to think we have very similar taste because this was legtimately my most hated perfume that I tried in 2021. It's even more horrendous when it mixes with my body chemistry (didn't think that was even possible). 😁

@QueenMarceline I am wearing it today and i just applied it with a rollerball and it is very long lasting. Oh well  at least it will help me declutter my collection!

@Mellmars1185 I think I actually mentioned that in my official Sephora review of it... it lasted forever. I regretted spraying it because it somehow just stuck to my clothes forever and was SO strong which is terrible when you truly dislike the scent. 

I've had a few of the minis of the Elemis Pro Collagen Cleansing Balm sitting in my stash so I finally decided to try it after finishing up a Farmacy Green Clean Makeup Removing Cleansing Balm Limited Edition Very Cherry 3.4 oz/ 100 mL.   Why do people LIKE this stuff?!  I'm still working on that same mini...and I have even more sitting in my collection 😂.  Ughh, total fail. 

@CookieGirl1 Oh no! I love the OG version of this but have been dying to try the cherry. Sorry it didn't work out for you! 

I just remembered what my monthly fail was: Kiehl's Since 1851 Ultra Facial Cleanser .  Here's my review:

I had one of these hanging around from a Kiehl's set, and I finally got around to trying it. I wasn't impressed. To begin with, it was hard to gauge how much to use. I started with a small pearl sized amount, and it didn't lather up like I thought it would in my hands. Once I applied it to my face, it still seemed like I'd need to use more. Then all of a sudden it was like I had applied way too much, and it was hard to rinse off. I felt like it just kept going and going - to the point where I felt like it was filmy. This might be due to the inclusion of SLS. I stopped using SLS cleansers years ago because my skin just couldn't handle them anymore. This one left me with that dreaded squeaky-clean feeling. Plus, the smell was medicinal and lingered for a bit. If I was out of cleanser, this would do in a pinch but otherwise I won't be reaching for it.

@greeneyedgirl107 Sorry this didnt work out for you and thanks for your feedback! It doesn't sound something I would want to purchase. 

I am not sure if this is a November or a December fail but unfortunately I am definitely allergic to tarte Knockout Tingle Treatment Toner 5 oz/ 150 mL . I looked like I had a bad sunburn. I had to baby my skin for about 2 - 3 weeks. I will be staying away from AHA/BHA toners.

@Loretta55  Ouch! Sorry you had a bad reaction to that toner. How frequently did you use it? Asking because the reaction sounds more like over-exfoliation than an allergy. And/or, you might've had skin irritation (not an allergic reaction) from one of the non-exfoliant ingredients in that toner. Lactic acid's usually safe if used just 1-3 days a week and not layered with another AHA exfoliant. And some folks can use salicylic acid more frequently without irritation. I'm saying all this because you might still be able to use other exfoliating toners or leave-on exfoliants after all. 🙂 But I understand wanting to steer clear to avoid another bad reaction. 

Also, I'm totally not defending Tarte's toner here. I can't use it because of a couple of bad-for-me ingredients it contains. Plus, a leave-on exfoliant shouldn't cause users to "feel the burn" (as Tarte advertises) each time they use it. Anyway, I'm glad your skin's feeling better now! 

@WinglessOne @Loretta55 agree, I think thats what happened when my face got red after using a vit. c toner after exfoliating once.

but I got Biossance Squalane + BHA Pore-Minimizing Toner 4.0 oz/ 120 mL  and have had no issues w/that after exfoliating, and I think bha's supposed to be better w/vit c. than aha? 🤔

I am now using The INKEY List Lactic Acid Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL @WinglessOne . Unfortunately I suffer from milia so I need to use a mild exfoliant nightly. I was using Knockout nightly but the reaction occurred in the morning when I used the Vitamin C treatments.

I'm sorry to hear that, @Loretta55 !  I'll be sure to avoid this product.

I don’t feel that it a bad product @Titian06 @because prior to getting my Covid vaccination it did work for me. Just use with caution.

@Loretta55  Oh no, that sounds miserable. I'm so sorry. I think I have a sample of this somewhere and I may just toss it to be careful. 

I first used that prior to getting my Covid vaccination @PrettyPaint. It took care of getting rid of a couple of large milia with no scarring. I have noticed that some of my skincare items have been giving me negative reactions but none as bad as what I got with Knockout Tingle. 

This is my December fail 

IMG_20211220_210619517.jpg

🤢 

lol, I like this one! Sorry you hated it! Fragrance is so interesting and unique how we each respond to different scents! @lmaster 

@sister13 yes, and I tell you, I do have a problem with just spraying in the air, and not giving it a chance on my actual self, I've seen how a scent can transform when it's actually on you

I'm sorry to say that my fail this month was Gucci Flora Gorgeous Gardenia Eau de Parfum .  Everyone raves over the beautiful bottle and the light smelling scent with lovely gardenia and brown sugar notes.  The gardenia was not light, nor lovely.  I could not detect the brown sugar (I love molasses!).  All I could smell was the migraine-inducing gardenia.  I was afraid this would happen, but hoped the brown sugar would tone down the gardenia so I could wear it.  That didn't happen...bummer!

31 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos2
  • lead-square-v3-1631889822.jpg
  • IMG_20211220_210619517.jpg
testing