Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

Capsule Makeup Collection Challenge

Hello, BIC Beauties! If the idea of makeup capsules piques your curiosity, or you're interested in seeing what's in the beauty collection or weekly makeup bag of your fellow BIC beauties, jump right on in - with questions, comments or a capsule of your own to share.
0 - 8.18 edit capsule post 1.jpg

0 - 8.18 edit capsule post 2.jpg

0 - 8.18 edit capsule post 4.jpg
To add a fun take on putting together a makeup capsule, I've included theme(s) for the weekly capsule - some weeks, I have enough products in my stash (eek!) to make a whole capsule based on the prompt; other weeks, I have just one or two items that fit neatly within theme. Whether you find yourself in the same place or somewhere in between, jump right on it and share your weekly makeup capsule. Check out the FAQ section below ⤵️ for more info on this challenge.

CURRENT MAKEUP CAPSULE THEME:   

WEEK 35 (August 26 - September 1) - The August 2024 Throw Down!, Throwback, and/or Throw Out? Makeup Capsule - In a nod to @danielledanielle's always amazing alliteration acumen 😉, @cianni's brilliant idea for a chopping block capsule, @missjeanie's throwback suggestion, and @ather's inspired battle theme, here are your choices for capsule prompts for the last week of August 2024 -

*  Throw Down! Are there a couple (or more) similar products that you want to pit against each other? Toss 'em in with your choice of makeup this week to duke it out. 🥊

Throwback - okay, this can be taken a few ways and it's all up to what you're up for this week. "Throwback" can mean (A) taking your capsule look (in whole or part) to days gone by - love the bright bold makeup of the 80s? Go for it. 90s brown lip liner your thing? Add it to your capsule. Blue eyeshadow and frosty lips from the aughts (2000s) more your speed? You do you. Or, maybe "throwback" for you means (B) going back to a previous theme from this challenge, whether all the way back to January or just last week. Here's another chance for a Take 2 / Do Over capsule.

Throw Out? - Is there a product or two or three or ... that you're on the fence about. Taking an approach from @cianni, put 'em on the chopping block this week to see whether their performance saves them from elimination or shows them the door.

Upcoming Makeup Capsule Themes: [Updated 8.26.2024] Take a sneak peek at the themes to come.

Spoiler
Week 36 - (September 2 - 8) - The Workhorses Makeup Capsule - In celebration of Labor Day, gather the workhorses in your stash and put together a makeup look with one or more tried-and-true beauties that you can rely on to work for you! This could be a chance to pull out those products for a pretty and polished, quick and easy look @ather @caitbird @peculiarzmakeup.

Week 37 - (September 9 - 15) - The Runway Inspired Makeup Capsule and/or The "BIC Inspired" Makeup Capsule  - New York Fashion Week is taking place September 6-11; show us the beauties that make up your runway inspired capsule. (I had fun with the play on The Met Gala theme earlier this year and thought, why not add NY Fashion Week to the mix, as well. Attendance at NYFW may be something I should add to my list of things to do, @danielledanielle!) OR, put together a capsule with one or more products inspired by your fellow BIC beauties - this theme, I know is a favorite among many, including @CynthieLu and @Mellmars1185

Week 38 - (September 16 - 22) - The LatinX Founded / Owned Beauty Brands Makeup Capsule - LatinX Heritage Month is celebrated annually in the US from September 15 to October 15. As one way to recognize the contributions and influence of Hispanic and Latin Americans in the beauty industry, let's put together a capsule that includes one or more products from a LatinX owned or founded beauty brand. See spoiler below for a non-exhaustive list. 
Spoiler
Below are some LatinX founded or owned makeup brands. This is a non-exhaustive list. Brands with an asterisk (*) next to the name are available at Sephora (in store or online, or both). If the founder/owner is not easily identifiable by the brand name, his/her/their name appears in the parens. 

*Artist Couture (Angel Merino)
*Beautyblender (Rea Ann Silva)
Besame Cosmetics (Gabriela Hernandez)
Dominque Cosmetics (Christen Dominique)
*Melt Cosmetics (cofounded by Lara Arellano)
*Rare Beauty by Selena Gomez
Reina Rebelde (Regina Merson)
More weekly capsule themes for September can be found by clicking on this link - September 2024 Capsule Makeup Themes - I'll update this section periodically to highlight the themes for approaching weeks.

Previous Makeup Capsule Themes: [Updated 8.26.2024]

Spoiler
1 - The First (of the Year) Makeup Capsule
2 - The Quick & Easy Winter Edition Makeup Capsule
3 - The $20 USD ($27 CAD) & Under Makeup Capsule
4 - The "On the Go!" Makeup Capsule
5 - The Best of January 2024 Makeup Capsule
6 - The Black Owned / Founded Beauty Brand Makeup Capsule
7 - The Lunar New Year - Year of the Dragon Makeup Capsule and/or The "Things I Love" Makeup Capsule
8 - The "BIC Inspired" Makeup Capsule
9 - The Best of February 2024 Makeup Capsule and/or The "On The Chopping Block" Makeup Capsule 
10 - The International Woman Owned / Founded Beauty Brand Makeup Capsule
11 - The "One Brand" or "All The Brands" Makeup Capsule 
12 - The "Springing Forward" Makeup Capsule and/or The Pops of Color Makeup Capsule 
13 -  The Fast & Furious / Quick & Easy Makeup Capsule and/or The March 2024 "On Top" or "On The Chopping Block" Makeup Capsule 
14 - The "Do Over" or "Take 2" Makeup Capsule
15 - The Makeup-Artist-Founded Brand Makeup Capsule and/or The Sephora Spring Savings Makeup Capsule
16 - The BIC Inspired (Summer Edition) Makeup Capsule and/or The Sephora Spring Savings Makeup Capsule
17 - The "Green" Makeup Capsule and/or The Sephora Spring Savings Makeup Capsule
18 - The  April 2024 "On Top" or "On The Chopping Block" Makeup Capsule and/or The "More Play Time With My Sephora Savings Event Hauls" Makeup Capsule
19 - The AAPI Owned / Founded Beauty Brand Makeup Capsule
20 - The "Sleeping Beauties" Makeup Capsule and/or The "OMG, More Stuff From the Sephora Spring Savings" Makeup Capsule
21 - The "My Best Self" Makeup Capsule
22 - The  May 2024 "On Top", "On The Chopping Block" or "On Repeat" Makeup Capsule
23 - The Love Is Love Makeup Capsule
24 - The Repurposed Makeup Capsule and/or The Multi-tasking Makeup Capsule
25 - The "Welcome, Summer!" Makeup Capsule and/or The "Good Stuff" Makeup Capsule
26 - The June 2024 "On Top", "On the Chopping Block" and/or "On Repeat" Makeup Capsule
27 - The Indie Brands Makeup Capsule and/or The Summer Vacation Makeup Capsule
28 - The "If I Were To Curate My Ultimate Makeup Capsule" Makeup Capsule (aka The "These are My Favorite Products" Makeup Capsule) 
29 - The Sticks and (Gem)Stones Makeup Capsule and/or The Pops of Colour: Summer Edition Makeup Capsule
30 - The BIC Inspired Summer Edition Makeup Capsule and/or The Pan It! Makeup Capsule
31 - The New, Old, or "Is It Time For This To Go?" Makeup Capsule
32 - The Take 2 / Do Over Makeup Capsule and/or The "Sleeping Beauties" Makeup Capsule 
33 - The Day-to-Night (or Date Night): Summer Edition Makeup Capsule and/or The "Outside My Comfort Zone" Makeup Capsule
34 - The Samples Makeup Capsule and/or The Newness Makeup Capsule 

FAQs: [Updated 4.28.2024]

Spoiler

What is a capsule makeup collection?  

A capsule makeup collection is a selection of makeup products that can be used to put together different looks for a variety of occasions. For some of us, that may mean a group of essential products for your everyday look plus a few extra items for a more glam or dramatic look; and, for others of us, that may mean, a lineup of our holy grail product(s) in each makeup category. My ideal capsule makeup collection probably falls somewhere in between - we'll (hopefully) find out at the end of the year! I don't see myself as a minimalist, but I don't have an extensive collection of makeup either. I appreciate the collections of people who fall within both camps but I float somewhere in between - on the one hand, my brow product collection would earn a gold star if we were using a minimalist approach to makeup; my lip product lineup, on the other hand, would not. 🤣 It would most definitely not.  

Why have a capsule makeup collection?  

Everyone will have their own reasons for having (or not having) a more streamlined makeup collection. Over the years, I've just become more interested in having less beauty products on hand (well, except for lip products, lol) - a handful of items I use or reach for more frequently with maybe a few additional products that are go-to's for me for special events or occasions.  Don't get me wrong, I love trying new products and I don't see that changing. I just like the idea of having a simpler collection (I appreciate that "simpler" can be relative), curated to my needs and lifestyle.

Why weekly? 
A few years ago, beauty & lifestyle blogger Serein Wu, did a weekly series (on her blog and YouTube channel), Makeup Bag Monday, where she rotated her makeup bag each week with new product launches and makeup already in her collection. Every Monday, she shared the products she selected for the upcoming week and provided detailed makeup reviews on the makeup she used for the previous week. I may not post detailed reviews, but will at least try to include a weekly recap (probably at the end of the week) of what products I like and which ones didn't work for me.  If weekly works for you, great. If not, feel free to join in based on what works best for you.

What if I don't have enough products to fit the theme for a full face?

No need for your entire makeup capsule to fit the weekly theme(s). Just one will do. And, even if you don't have one that fits squarely within a theme, feel free to post your makeup capsule. We'd love to see what you're using and hear your feedback on the products as you put them to use. 

Re: Capsule Makeup Collection Challenge

This community has shared the best makeup and skin care recs imo. 🙏❤️ I love living vicariously through your haulin' 😊 @WinglessOne 

Awwww, I do use them pretty frequently. 😉 @danielledanielle (I put them on my year end faves list too. 🏆) I love the products that last all day. 💖

@CynthieLu Amazing capsule. It is heart warming to hear how BIC has influenced you over the years and how your makeup collection had grown. 

Thank you! @Mellmars1185 I think this week's will be another fun one too use 😉🩷

@CynthieLu, wonderful choices. The bag has such a fun print. The Rare Beauty highlighters always sell out quickly. Hourglass knows how to do a holiday palette! They’re hits year after year.

Thank you 😊 That bag I believe was an old Estee Lauder GWP bag. @itsfi I love how handy those little things come in. 🩷😉

Week 7 -- Lunar New Year and Things I LOVE

Okay so I don't have any actual Lunar New Year Products, but I went for the Red/Gold theme and the LOVE theme mixed together.  I took this week as a bit of a personal challange to wear red lips everyday.  It went better than I thought it would!  But I for sure have preferences with formula!  Red looks awful when it bleeds!

429050311_365717816291527_2729568543712962029_n.jpg

Spoiler
About Face Foundation -- I'd seen a few people online mention this as a wonderful foundation and picked it up over the weekend.  I love trying new things.  This foundation is a good match colour wise but it leans a smidge dry/matte for my skin at the moment.  I'll try it with a few other primers and see if that makes a difference, otherwise it may be a summer foundation for me.  I did find that it faded though the day nicely and didn't transfer to my winter coat collar so that was a big plus!

Live Tinted Colour Corrector -- I think this shade is just too dark for me.  I was shopping after a few drinks and saw that Live Tinted had a three piece set and snatched it up without really looking at the shade of corrector inside.  I did find that if I go really lightly with this and tap it into my skin it can be quite effective.  If I go too heavy drawing it on and use a beauty blender to blend it, it blends away too much.  Bonus for shiny gold packaging!

Fenty Concealer -- Picked this up new to try as well.  So far I quite like it, but it may be a bit of a lighter coverage than I love. Needs more use to determine my feels on this one. 

ND Concealer -- This is my current love and I tossed it in incase the Fenty was a dud for me.  Did not use it through the week though.

Givenchy Powder in Voile Rose -- I love this one.  The subtle pink tint gives a touch of a brightness to my skin.  The formula is fine enough that it gives a blur to the skin while not completely mattifying.  

Winky Lux Blush -- This is such a fun blush in a gold orb.  I find the rose shade to be super flattering on my skin tone and I smile every time I dip into the rose, a little sad that the rose won't last, but glad to have it in my life now.  I need to find a winky lux display and see what else they have.  This is my first product from the brand and it's a hit. 

426742615_1411466269742772_552085468158740253_n.jpg

Spoiler
Look... I never said my capsules would be small lol

Juvias Place Shadows in Nude -- These are a bit peachy for my liking.  The formula is lovely, but the shades just aren't a fav.  This came from my weekend shopping and the store didn't have palettes of the two shades I wanted, so I snagged this one without giving it proper thought.  That said, two of the shades were golds that I wore as one and dones.  I'll snag another palette from the brand when I see one in stock.  I snagged this a bit of an effort to expand my Black owned Brands stash... it was feeling weak after last weeks capsule. 

Merit Solo Shadow Social -- This is a shadow that I wanted, then didn't after seeing it on display (it was way too dry), then was convinced that I needed it on BIC.  Once I got one that didn't have the cap off it in a display case... I fell in love.  The shade is my perfect cool toned mauve one and done.  

About Face pigments -- These fell into the "I love new things" category.  Both shades alone are meh, but mixed together, they're a great brown!  I'm still playing with these... but so far they have me interested to keep playing and keep an eye out for shades.... 

YSL NU Lip and Cheek -- This is a deep red shade that is quite sheer in practice.  I put it on my hand and use a stippling brush to apply to my cheeks and it's quite nice.  It fell into the red blush theme and was a wearable red.  I have two other shades that I use as a blush as well, but they're much more subtle, this can be punchier.  I've tried it on the lips and ... meh.  

Kosas Brow Gel -- falls into the LOVE category.  I LOVE tinted brow gel and have been forcing myself to use a pencil in order to pan it out of my life.  This week felt like a lovely return to tinted brow gel.  

Nars Pro Prime -- My longest love shadow primer.  I have oily lids and this just works.  

Sephora and Stila liquid liner -- I knew that with all the red lips I wanted to do some black winged liner and pulled these two out as I had no idea if either was really still viable.  I used the Stila twice and it's getting down to the end, so I'm going to keep it out and try to use it a few more times before I'll need to trash it.  I didn't use the Sephora since the Stila was still okay.  Neither are favourite formulas or packaging.  I really prefer a brush tip.  My old fav was the KVD, but it's just not a brand for me anymore.  I do hear that the DM is a wonderful option so that'll be the next one I pick up after I finish off these. 

Urban Decay Heavy Metal Glitter Liner in Gold -- This was my nod to gold make up... I wore it over the black liquid liner one day and on it's own as liner another.  The glitter in this does move around if I touch my eyelid.  It's not something I'd wear on the regular at all, and I did get a look or two at work... glitter isn't the normal for my office at all.  That said, I thought it was fun.  I'd do this again. 

DM Colorfix mattes in shade Valentine -- I saw a photo of someone else on BIC who'd used this as a blush and I thought... I can do that!  I thought it was going to be way too pigmented but it sheered out really nicely!  I tried this as an eyeliner one day when I wasn't going out of the house and it came out... okay.  I think if I try again I'd do it as a line of black with a line of the hot pink on top.  This is not something my skills will allow me to do before work so it's a weekend experiment some day.  

Kjaer Weis Mascara -- I've had this open for some time and it's... gloopy.  I managed to make it work, but it was a lot of work.  I have too many mascaras in my stash opened and un-opened to struggle bus it with this one.  She's going to the empties bag as a declutter. 

429003232_3027617317371854_3796709083379949309_n.jpg

Spoiler
I went for a variety of lips this week to accommodate the pink and glitter liner looks, with a healthy dose of red.  
YSL Candy Glaze -- I picked a red shade and a nude shade as this formula is a LOVE for me.  It's soft, easy to apply, not too pigmented, and I can apply without a mirror if need be... the cap is just shiny enough that I can use it as a guide on the red shade. 

Sephora Collection Lip stick -- My SO picked this shade out when we were shopping... he said he LOVES me in a full on lipstick... that said, I put this on over the SC Lip Jelly Stain... and it bled like mad.  I tried it with the SC lip liner in this weeks capsule... it bled.  I need to try it with a lip liner that I actually like to see if it still bleeds.  The shade was great though, so there's that.

SC Lip Liner -- I picked up a few of these as they were on sale half off and I don't have a stupid amount of lip liners yet... felt like a safe purchase.  Turns out these are way too creamy to be a lipliner for me.  They feel like a regular lipstick.  I prefer a drier more long lasting formula.  I'll try and use this one and the other up, but they won't be a repurchase item.

SC Lip Jelly Melt -- This is one that I liked in the past, I only used it once this week under another lipstick so I need to give it another shot and see if I still like it.  I picked too many lip products this week lol.  

Chanel Lip Balm -- This is way more tinted than what I'd call a balm.  It's also way more red than I thought it would be when I picked out the shade online.  i wore this one day and found that my lips were getting quite dry at the end of the day with a few applications.  I wore it another day to see if was a one off or if it was really drying.  It's really drying.  Such a sad thing for such a pretty packaging and such a hefty price tag.  I need to think about what to do with this one.  

Ami Cole Lip Oils in Smitten and Romance -- True Loves.  Both of them.  

Summer Fridays Lip Balm in Cherry -- More of a red pigment than I usually go for, but I'm oh so happy to have this one.  Easy to wear, feels so plush and hydrating.  

Juvias Place Lip Gloss -- I snagged this this last weekend as well.  It was just calling to me from the display, such a gorgeous purple/plum/berry the Royal name is fitting.  I didn't swatch it in store and assumed it would be a bit more sheer than it is.  This gloss is PIGMENTED!!  It does feel so nice on the lips though, and it looks great blotted out or worn at full pigment.  I really fell in LOVE with this one this week and I can't wait to see a Juvia's Place display again to see what other shades I might need.  

@missjeanie  Great picks!! I am obsessed with those Ami Cole glosses! 

@ather @Aren’t they just the best!! I was blown away with how much I’ve fallen for the formula! 

@missjeanie  so good! It’s in my capsule this week too! 

Wow pretty pictures @missjeanie I spy so many great items in your capsule, especially the Givenchy powder and the DM Colorfix.

@AznAngelLiz The Givenchy is just so lovely. I’ve been forcing myself to get use out of other powders always wanting to reach for this one. The DM is also so much more versatile than I thought it would be! I thought it would be a lip product for me, but I’m loving it most as a blush! 

I love your capsule photos, the heart is a sweet touch 💝😍 @missjeanie You beautifully curated this one, wow!

And the flower on the Givenchy Powder is stunning, it's in perfect shape 🤩 how did they do that? I love fancy touches like that. 😉

Thanks @CynthieLu !!!

@missjeanie, I love seeing your capsules. We’ll all have different sizes when it comes to our capsules and what our ideal collection will look like. Part of this adventure is finding what is a good collection for you. 

I spy some beauties I love also in this week’s capsule - the NARS primer is a go to for me; I feel like every other eye primer I use or have used (including for this challenge) is just auditioning to be its understudy. 😆 Loooove those 2 Ami Cole lip oils! 🩷♥️

Oh, I’ll be very interested to hear your thoughts on the about face products at the end of the week.I’ve had my eye on a few items from the brand, including that new foundation (even though ummm, my stash is hardly lacking in foundations I already love). 

P.S. Yaaaay for a declutter this week! 🙌🏼 

P.P.S. Do you think for the Chanel lip balm, it might work if you sliced off part of the balm and mixed it along with some clear lip balm, into an empty jar. Apply it with your fingers or a lip brush. The mix of the Chanel and some lip balm might diffuse the color a little and make it less drying on your lips. 

Oh!! @itsfi  I’d also considered doing a mix with the Chanel, but I fear I’d use a pot version even less. 

Oh, that would defeat the purpose. Hmmm, I wonder how you might reach for the Chanel more @missjeanie?

@itsfi @I feel like we might need a ‘repurposed’ challenge week??? Products you’ve turned into something you didn’t originally intend them to be?? I might actually try it out as a blush!! 

Oh, that's a good one @missjeanie! Taking notes ... 

@itsfi I’ve been mixing the About Face foundation in here and there and the more I use it the more I like it. The doe foot applicator is kinda weird for me, simply because it doesn’t come in or out of the bottle as easily as I think it should. I’m the only one using my foundations so the idea of a doe foot doesn’t bother me. The foundation is best worn for me (so far anyhow) in a more sheer layer with hydrating, moisturizing, base products. It wears really nicely through the day, lasting about 8 hours without touch ups that way. The ‘paints’ I’ve been mixing and using as a one and done shadow look. I’ve only used them a few times but I can see how more creatives would love them. For me I suspect mixing is going to be too much work early in the mornings. I’m going to keep and eye for other shades though… I’m not done playing with these yet! 

19 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos523
  • giphy
  • Ami (Left), Gxve (Right)
  • Makeup Capsule Week 1 - 1.jpeg
  • Makeup Capsule Week 1 - 2.jpeg
  • 20240103_175143.jpg
  • 1000021268.png
  • Week 1 - Workday 1
  • Week 1 - Workday 2
  • Week 1 - Going out