Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Insiders
|

Love for Brushes

I'm developing a love for brushes of all kinds.  I bought a few higher end brushes and they are amazing.  They are incredibly soft and my makeup glides on like a dream.  There are so many interesting shapes. I am really interested in creating a beautiful brush collection.  Show your brushes and share any cleaning and storage tips and let us know which ones are your favorites.

Tom Ford Brushes.jpeg

Re: Love for Brushes

@QueenMarceline they've definitely only had brushes and makeup bags for the past couple of years, maybe more. Their makeup was ok but I never had the best luck. We'll see how it pans out.

@eshoe @itsfi so cute 

CE77A5F4-A819-49DC-B315-EF561F6AC5AE.jpeg

Thank you for the tag @SportyGirly125. I saw that this will retail for $135 and launches on December 28.

It is, @SportyGirly125! I am holding out for Beautylish’s Lunar New Year brush. I am anxiously awaiting a sign-up notification!

Thanks for the tag @eshoe!!!

I sent you a PM, @Luvstravel - it is live now!

You’re welcome, @Luvstravel!

Thanks @eshoe It has been a long year with delays on different house items ( doors, windows, paint, crown molding) so we are so ready for it to be finished 😊

Email notification to sign up and sneak peek, @Luvstravel!

4E05A9C0-77F1-442C-BAE4-E224AD59FD07.jpeg

Oh I could imagine you are more than ready to get settled in then, @Luvstravel! Hoping it is soon, with no more delays.

Hi @eshoe I've been out of the beauty loop this year while our house is being built (should be in by the end of February!!!) but I was also wanting the Beautylish Lunar Tiger brush. Could I possibly get you to tag me when the sign up comes out in case I miss it? Thank you.

@Luvstravel you got it! And how exciting, congratulations and I hope everything is completed on time for you☺️

@SportyGirly125I love this brush.I already signed up and  it's going on my shopping list.

@SportyGirly125  that brush is so stinking cute!

What's Up Nails rebranded to What's Up Beauty (late last year, earlier this year?) and came out with an eyeshadow palette and 6 eye brushes. By chance, has anyone here tried the brushes? (I'm guessing no, but it never hurts to ask 😋)

In any case, they are made in Japan, goat hair (and goat hair + synthetic in the pencil brush). They sell individually for $20-23, or the set of 6 for $120, but they are offering 40% off through noon on the 18th (so $71.xx for the set). As someone who has been mildly interested in higher end/natural hair brushes, I'm vaguely tempted, but since I've always been extremely allergic to the price of them, haven't done a ton of research, so...I don't know what I don't know. Anyone have any input/thoughts based on their experience with goat hair in general (or these brushes in particular)? I'm looking around for actual reviews now, but any sort of "geez RG, that set looks subpar because..." or "that looks like it could be a decent intro to natural brushes" would be greatly appreciated!

Screenshot_20211216-130738.png

Screenshot_20211216-130722.png

Screenshot_20211216-130930.png

Screenshot_20211216-130939.png

@RGbrown  Nope, I haven’t tried these brushes. I visited the brand's site to read everything they say about each brush. I have 2 criticisms: 

1. “Soft white goat hair” isn’t detailed enough (to me) to describe handmade Japanese brushes. I’ll assume these are made with either ototsuho or sokoho goat hair. The latter is more expensive than the former... hmm, since the brand says their brushes are "made from high quality natural materials,” maybe they’re sokoho. Saikoho is a step above sokoho, but I have no idea if any of these brushes contain any saikoho hairs. That’d be something to ask the brand. 

I’ve criticized Rephr for this, too: on their product pages, they just call their bristles “natural hair.” But they do specify on their FAQ page that they use a blend of sokoho and saikoho hair, which is how nearly all my Rephrs feel on my skin. 

2. I laughed at the brand’s note about the ferrules being double crimped “for long lasting stability” because I’ve have 2 MAC 217S brushes quickly go all loose-ferrule on me, and they’re also double crimped. 🙄 I mean, double crimping isn’t pointless and several brands do it. But it doesn’t always extend a brush’s life, no matter how well you care for the brush. 

Aside from all that, I can’t critique these brushes much. I wish the brand would show side profiles of each brush. If you wound up buying them, let us know what you think! 

@WinglessOne 

I wound up forgetting all about them and missing the deal, and while I'm mildly sad about it, I'm not terribly upset with myself over it, which tells me I was right when I said I didn't need them. That is great info for me to keep in mind though, and I really appreciate your insights. Thank you!! 💕

@RGbrown   The fact that they are handmade in Japan got my attention, but...and this is a totally newbie opinion, from the picture they look like they aren't trimmed very well- like whomever was trimming the hairs and putting them together did it unevenly.

@RGbrownthose are really pretty.

@AMK721 

They are! I thiiiink I've about talked myself out of them, I just don't wear makeup enough anymore to justify buying them for them to simply sit around and gather dust, but the idea is still floating around in the back of my head. If I remember before the sale ends, I might snag them anyways 😋

@RGbrown  I hear ya, sometimes the money is better spent on something else.

testing