Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: 31 Days of Perfume Challenge

Day 8 YSL Black Opium, one of my top 5 favourites! It's a chill day off for me with no plans and I didn't know if I wanted to use this today or save it for a day going out or occasion. Decided I like to smell good for me and no one else haha! 

Day 7: tried Chanel No 5 again. It does smell good but..Yawn. I'm not sure why I tried this again, I know I feel this way 🙃

Day 8: Dolce and Gabbana light blue. Whoa I did not like this at all initially BUT, a couple hours later, it's really nice! Light floral, not sickly sweet. I dig it!

@Alicehoopz - D&G Light Blue is one of my favorites!

I really need to smell light blue again, I completely forget it but everyone seems to love it. 

Day 8: Elizabeth and James Nirvana Black and White

This is a classic staple for me and I can't stop wearing them together lol. 

http://www.sephora.com/nirvana-black-P383914?skuId=1570266&icid2=products%20grid:p383914

http://www.sephora.com/nirvana-white-P383912?skuId=1570233&icid2=products%20grid:p383912

Spoiler

Day 7: Stella by Stella McCartney

Day 6: Miss Dior Absolutely Blooming

Day 5: Flower by Kenzo

Day 4: Maison Margiela Replica Lipstick On

Day 3: Commodity Gold (LOVE)

Day 2: Moschino Fresh Couture

Day 1: YSL Black Opium

Do you wear them layered, individual or both? what is your favourite way to wear these! I have the full size of Nirvana White, it's just one of those scents I know I can always throw on and know that I'll like it. I have a rollerball of Nirvana Black too, but I haven't tried layering them yet! I love the Nirvana Black once it has really settled into my skin, and they both have such staying power! If I apply them directly on my skin, I swear I can still smell both of them even after showering!

Anonymous Insider

Day 8 Nirvana Black

Day 8: Lavender and Peppermint essential oil. 

I have an early visitor, and she's angry, so lavender and peppermint oil help calm her down. 

Catching up!

NMC24RK_au.jpg

Day 7: Ombre Leather by Tom Ford. Yesterday was a very, very cold day. I actually reached for something else that was darker, but in spite of the temperatures, it was also a really sunny day! Ended up wearing this well balanced leather - probably the truest leather I have tried to date, with the right amount of smokey, but balanced by a floral.

Notes:

Violet leaf, cardamom, jasmine sambac, black leather, white moss, patchouli

Day 6: Straight to Heaven by Kilian. I think that this is one I need to revisit - it was super light on my skin, and I read it as a "clean" wood (I actually thought it might be oud, but I don't see oud on the notes list). I didn't get a lot of musk, or rum! Looking at the notes now, I feel like my nose is way off.

Notes:

Martinican rum absolute, dried fruits accord, Javanese nutmeg oil, hedione, cedarwood, Indonesian patchouli oil, ambergris, vanilla absolute, white musk

Spoiler
Keeping running tally so that I won't repeat!
Day 5: Bapteme du Feu by Serge Lutens
Day 4: Fir Balsam by L'Antichambre
Day 3: Borneo 1834 by Serge Lutens
Day 2
: Maison Margiela Replica Dancing on the Moon
Day 1: Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford 

Day 8:  Escada - Joyful

Notes:  Blackcurrant Sorbet, Melon, Mandarin, Violet leaves, Pink Peony, Dewy Magnolia, Nectarine, Honeycomb, Florymoss, Sandalwood

Compiled:

Spoiler

Day 7:  Escada – Born in Paradise

Day 6:  Moschino – Moschino Fresh Couture

Day 5:  Chanel - No. 5 L'eau

Day 4:  Elizabeth & James - Nirvana Bourbon

Day 3:  YSL - Black Opium

Day 2:  Pacifica - Tunisian Jasmine Lime

Day 1:  Juliette Has a Gun - Not a Perfume

Day 8: Gucci Guilty (sample vial)

I was indifferent about this one when I first tried it awhile ago, but I've started reaching for it more recently. 

Spoiler
Day 7: Jo Malone Dark Amber and a Ginger Lily (sample vial)
Day 6: Guerlain La Petite Robe Noire EDT (mini)
Day 5: E&J Nirvana Rose (rollerball)
Day 4: Derek Lam 10 Crosby Ellipsis (sample vial)
Day 3: Marc Jacobs Decadence (rollerball)
Day 2: Derek Lam 10 Crosby 2am Kiss (sample vial)
Day 1: Philosophy Fresh Cream (body spray)

Day 8:

Miss Dior Absolutely Blooming

Notes:
Red Berry Accord, Grasse Rose Absolute, Peony Accord, White Musk Accord.
Style:
Romantic. Sultry.

Love this, I got it as a Christmas gift 🙂

I really want to try this one, it sounds right up my alley. 

Day 8: Jo Malone Lime, Basil, and Mandarin cologne. I smell like salad dressing. Or a delicious marinade for chicken or fish.

Day Eight: By Kilian's Vodka on the Rocks

A fresh and rather generic citrus-wood scent. It's a dead ringer for vodka and there's a synthetic aspect of it that's cool (temperature wise) but vodka is just not a very compelling scent. Was excited to try this sample as it's a boutique exclusive but it's not worth the price at all.

If you want a fresh gin or vodka type scent, you're better off with Malle's Angeliques Sous La Pluie - a unisex fragrance. It's chic and has a little sparkle to it. Plus it's half the price!

Day 8

Narcisco Rodriguez - for her

Notes:
Pink Chypre, Pink Floral, Voluptuous Woods, Soft Amber, Sheer Chypre, Flower Honey, Tactile Woods, Amber Light.

@WhereYouStand - lol!  I read the second ingredient as Pink Floyd!  Now you know what I was *really* thinking about!  😄

lol 🙂

Day 7- Bottega Veneta

Notes-From the very start, the olfactive identity of the brand appears through the original cross-combination of plum and pink pepper, which brings brightness and depth. A strong and charismatic note of sambac jasmine (a variety of jasmine less animal and more floral), reflects in the heart the elegance of the Bottega Veneta woman. Harmonious contrast between modernity and tradition, this fragrance continues to radiate through its specific leather accord, a symbol and signature of Bottega Veneta fashion design.

I didn't even know I had a sample of this. It smells really good and strong. But I know I've smelt something like this before, I just can't place what other perfume it is. 

Day 8: Thierry Mugler Alien. 

Notes: Jasmine Sambac, Cashmeran Wood, Amber Gris

I love this fragrance for fall/winter, and the pretty purple bottle is one of the few I love to see on my vanity. 🙂

@angel7594 i really like alien! it's not as overpowering as angel can be, but is still a really nice woody/gourmand scent!

testing