Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: 31 Days of Perfume Challenge

Day 9: Tory Burch Jolie Fleur Verte. At first, like with any floral arrangement, the lily scent was overpowering (I don't like lilies and should have probably sprayed this sample on paper before on myself). However, 45 minutes later, and the perfume has thankfully mellowed out into a pleasant, more complex and clean scent. 

Notes:
Lily of the Valley, Jasmine Absolute, Mandarin, Neroli Oil, Dewey Green Accord, Cedarwood, Sandalwood, Musk.

I got a sample of this with my last Sephora order and I am actually liking it too once it dries down and starts to sink it, the mix of lily, jasmine, musk and dewey greens is quite nice

DAY 9:

Derek Lam 10 - Crosby Something Wild:

Cedarwood, Vanilla Bean Madagascar

I received this in the VIB promo for the Derek Lam set a while back (I actually really really like this whole set. It is a great way to try this brand and all the different scents).  I am really loving this!! I will try a different one from this set tomorrow.

😄

All I did was lounge at home all day yesterday, so no perfume for Day 8.

Day 9 - Juliette Has a Gun Moon Dance

I got a sample of this with a bunch of other rose fragrances and this was a recommendation from a couple of people on BT. I know this one is supposed to be complex, beautiful, and amazing. But it's just too powdery for my tastes so it comes off as a very heavy perfume. Might not have helped that this came in a little vial with the middle stick attached to the cap. I applied a couple of swipes behind both of my ears, and I frequently find that perfumes don't smell the way they're supposed to on me if I apply this way.

Notes I smell: powdery violet

Actual notes: Bergamot, Violet, Tuberose, Rose, Patchouli

I also suspect that a male coworker's cologne is interfering with how I'm smelling this on myself. I'll see if it improves throughout the day--maybe I just need it to mellow out a bit.

Spoiler
Day 4 - Somethin' Special Sweet Petals (LUSH Rose Jam dupe)
Day 5 - Giorgio Armani Si Intense
Day 6 - Givenchy Dahlia Divin
Day 7 - Ann Gerard Rose Cut

Day 9: Tocca - Colette

Chose this because I have a rollerball of it in my purse and I was late getting out of the house this morning! If I have a signature fragrance, it's this one. I'm on my third (fourth?) bottle of it, and I'm still pretty obsessed. Starts out as a delicious lemon cupcake, but turns into a gorgeous woodsy, creamy skin scent and lingers on clothes.

Backlog:

Spoiler

Day 8: Etat Libre D'Orange - Fat Electrician

Day 7: Atelier Cologne - Bois Blonde

Day 6: LM Parfums - Malefic Tattoo

Day 5: Jo Malone - Vanilla & Anise
Day 4: Tocca - Margaux

Day 3: Parfumerie Generale - Felanilla 

Day 2: Elizabeth and James - Nirvana Bourbon 

Day 1: Maison Francis Kurkdjian - Grand Soir 

This reminds me of 4160 Tuesdays London 1969 - like a lemon candy chew paired with woods, but it's also just a little bit dirty... I should try the Colette 🙂

Day 9: Fresh Sugar Lemon

I can't decide if I like this, or if I smell like pine sol! I'm hoping as it fades it smells less in your face citrus and the other notes come through!!

Day Nine: Le Labo's Patchouli 24

An intensely smoky fragrance that opens with the distinct smell of sweet, cured pork. Apparently some other people have described this as sausages, BBQ ribs, smoked meat, maple cured bacon, you get the idea. Oddly, the scent becomes creamy. Creamy... pork? Not sure what is going on here, not recommended.

The only other Le Labo I've tried is Labdanum 18 which didn't strike me as interesting... Has anyone tried any Le Labos they really loved?

I had a sample of Noir 29 a while back that was really nice, it was a like a smokey cup of earl grey.

@pocketvenus, can I just have your collection?

@greenporchlights❤️ ❤️ ❤️

Day 8: Acqua Di Parma Rosa Nobile

Anonymous Insider

This is one I'd bathe in if I could!  My husband threw  away my beloved sample because it rolled off my dresser and was on the floor and he thought it was empty 😰...I was very close to having him dig thru the trash for it, so now he's either going to have to buy me a bottle or a boatload of samples.  My kids said they'd get it for me for ❤️'S day.

Day 7-missed-might try to do 2 some other day this week.
Day 8-Paco Rabanne 1 Million-I didn't realize this was a mens scent until I sprayed it on and googled it.I wouldn't buy it for myself but it is nice.

Jan 8: Tom Ford Orchid Soleil deluxe sample: controversial it is! Some likes it other hates it. I'm on the favorable side:)

I too find it an intriguing yet perplexing scent. By itself, I am not a fan, but layered with other scents things become crazy bright and fresh, truly lovely for a warm day!

Thx for the tip. Might i ask what scent are you layering @LCResz

I found that it pairs beautifully with light fragrances, like Byredo Gypsy Water or Bobbi Brown Almost Bare. Soleil punches them up and makes them stand out more.

Thank-you for sharing! Orchid Soleil has always been a scent that I just want to fall in love with but never quite get there! I'm definitely going to try layering it

Interesting. Thank you for sharing @LCResz! I am sure I have a sample vial somewhere to try something like that. I tried it on its own a couple times. On paper it's mostly 'scent of steaming corn tortilla' for me. It is a bit better on the skin but far from a favorite.

Day 8: Tom Ford Oud Fleur. It was chilly today, decided it was a perfect time for this dark, rosy beauty.

testing