Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: 31 Days of Perfume Challenge

Day 5: Versace Crystal Noir.

Notes:
Gardenia, Amber.
Style:
Magical. Sheer. Sensual.

I don't know about sheer and sensual... Magical for sure.

It is quite spicy to my sniff. And, I love it! I could imagine it's not everybody's cup of tea, though... But, I'm really enjoying this one. It gets better with wear, if that's possible? Probably because it is so strong, so when you first spray it, it's like, oh heck no! So very strong and overpowering. But, then when you give it a few, it turns into this fantastic scent I just can't get enough of!

Oh, and the staying power force is very strong with this one, too. 😉

The spiciness is piquing my curiosity, thats definitely not what came to mind when I read Gardenia and Amber! Do you find the spice settles down over time? I absolutely love Gardenia and am looking for some fragrances with it to try!

This one sounds really nice!

When I worked at a fragrance counter years ago, this one was such a big seller. It's sexy. I was always jealous of people who could wear it, because it just never meshed with my chemistry.

Also, love your screenname, @Magrathea! 🙂

You know what? It is sexy! Very sexy! You are so right. I just couldn't find the word at the moment. 😄

Edit: @greenporchlights  Thanks! 😉

One of my faves! 🙂 Love it!

I'm taking @greenporchlights advice and joining you guys!  Today I will be using my desk perfume 😛 E&J Nirvana White.  It's probably my favorite fragrance.  It's what I want people to think I smell like.  A little musky but holding a bunch flowers, like a long hug from a peony.

I LOVE Nirvana White! It is a floral without being sweet, creamy without being generic, and has this beautiful musk that really settles *into* my skin rather than sitting on top. AND it has great staying power to boot! Probably my absolute favourite fragrance discovery over the last 5 years, with Marc Jacobs Mod Noir being a close second.

WOO, @michelleshops! And what a lovely perfume to stash in your desk. 🙂

Day 5: Calvin Klein Euphoria- amazing staying power and so mysterious!

Verdict: absolutely stunning and I would buy the biggest bottle possible.

Day 5- Derek Lam Crosby Silent St.

Notes- White Musks

No. I can't stand this one. Yuck.

http://www.sephora.com/silent-st-P405458?skuId=1768993&icid2=dereklam_lp_fromthebrand_carousel01:p40...

@Samtian ugh, this one gave me an instant headache! i don't like most of his scents 😕

Derek Lam seems really hit and miss with people... I haven't found one I like.

I sprayed them all on separate tissue papers one night and by the end, I honestly didn't know what I was smelling.  But my garbage can sure smelled nice the next day!  I noted at least three that I deemed "tryable".

I got the 10 pack deluxe sample they offered a while back. I think there was one I liked when I had another sample of one...can't remember which. 

Day 5: MCMC Love

i ordered some samples from MCMC when I replenished my beloved Noble perfume, and I'm just now getting around to trying them (yay for this challenge!)  I hated this at first because all I smelled was mint and anise, but after I wore it a bit the yuzu and woody notes came through and it's quite nice! Not a must have, but pleasant 🙂

Day 5:  Tocca Florence

Key Notes:
Bergamot, Gardenia, Blonde Wood.

I kinda like it!  I put it on 4 hours ago and can easily still smell it.  I'd say heavy on the Gardenia.

Day 5: E&J Nirvana Rose (rollerball)

Day 4: Derek Lam 10 Crosby Ellipsis (sample vial)

I lost a day due to travel, so both of these were technically on the 5th. Ellipsis opens with Jasmine and dries down to sandalwood. It isn't very complex. For me to identify both notes without looking them up first says something!  It is still nice.

Nirvana rose is nice if you like slightly spicy rose scents. It reminds me a lot of balenciaga Rosabotanica which I was really into a few years ago.

Spoiler
Day 3: Marc Jacobs Decadence (rollerball)
Day 2: Derek Lam 10 Crosby 2am Kiss (sample vial)
Day 1: Philosophy Fresh Cream (body spray)

Day 5: Christian Louboutin Trouble in Heaven. This fragrance smells amazing, though it is very potent. A little went a long way! The patchouli note is strong on my skin. I will likely wear this only for special occasions.

guys i want to say, i LOVE this challenge. i really could and should participate, too. but i got a few lovely smellums for and around christmas and they're getting all my attention right now. 

if this becomes an ongoing thing (when people just start whenever they feel like it) i will likely participate a little bit down the road, with MUCH enthusiasm.

Yes! I was just thinking I'd like to join in with all my hoarded samples, too! Otherwise, the possibility is they are just gonna continue to sit pretty useless on my dresser...

testing