Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: 31 Days of Perfume Challenge

I love Mod Noir. It's so fresh and springy, which is weird because the name makes me think it would be dark and warm.

Day 2: Bvlgari Omnia Paraiba

Cute packaging but I'm not crazy about the scent. It doesn't last long at all.

Day 2:  Today is Angel by Thierry Mugler.  I honestly hadn't planned on wearing this today, but when I looked out the window and saw that we'd gotten 5 inches of snow and it was still coming, I knew that this would be a good day for this old gourmand.  

The delicious blends of sweet caramel and patchouli is perfect for snowy weather, in my opinion, since .  I paired it with a shimmery- frosted blue eye look and Buxom's Sugar lipgloss.  

Day 2: Maison Margiela Replica Dancing on the Moon. I ordered samples of 3 of the newest releases, and this was one of them. I'm picky about florals, but I do tend to like white florals (which, this one is - lots of jasmine! At least on my skin). They can lean soapy, but Dancing on the Moon definitely has a subtle sweetness - could be the woody base balancing things out 😄

I like it! Hopefully there will be a rollerball released. The packaging/label is fun too.

Spoiler
Keeping running tally so that I won't repeat!
Day 1: Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford 

Day 2: Estee Lauder Modern Muse Chic.

This one is lightly floral but kind of warm at the same time. It's really nice, super relaxing. 

Day 2: Maison Margiela Replica, Lipstick On. At first, it smelled like wax and magazines fresh off the press. Then it started smelling powdery, warm, and actually pretty nice, but I couldn't help but think of this.

MeanGirls

I need to give this one another chance.  I also get the wax and magazines.  Next time I will smell a bit later. 

I like powdery!!!

I love Lipstick On lol. 

LOL!! That is also the perfect gif for Etat Libre's Putain de Palaces

Day 2:  Mugler: Alien 

Key Notes:
Jasmine Sambac, Cashmeran Wood, Amber Gris

I love this one! I used to have a big bottle of it. but I happily gave it to my bestie as she loved it too and was still searching for her first signature perfume. and i am happy to have given it a good home and don't regret it. also I can always  grab samples here and there.  I have tons of perfume so it was not lost on me and I was happy to give it to the best home possible. 🙂  

@WhereYouStand - That was so nice of you!  🙂

Day Two: Slumberhouse's New Sibet

I read somewhere that "sibet" is a reinterpretation of "civet." If it is, it's a relatively quiet one, especially in relation to other Slumberhouses I've tried. The civet-ness (or "goat fur" note) isn't nearly as difficult to wear because any rankness is offset by the creaminess of the fragrance. Although this is a unisex scent, I would much prefer to smell this on a man.

Day 2-Not a perfume by Juliette has a gun.I can see why this is called not a perfume,I can barely tell I am wearing anything after a few minutes.

JHAG is an interesting line, and my last impulse purchase, MMMM..., was an unexpected treat, but Not a Perfume doesn't work on me either. It just doesn't smell like anything, no matter how much I douse myself with it. I'll stick to Another Oud or Midnight Oud, they're my favorites from this house.

It always fascinates me when I hear someone can't smell Not a perfume. It is made of a synthetic ambergris (can't remember if it is ambroxan or cetalox in this one) but a small percentage of people actually physically can't smell it (luckily, I can, I really like it). Usually it is the "clean" musky base in a lot of commercial perfumes,I think. 

It's cetalox.  I wore this yesterday and could barely smell it when first applied.  After only a few minutes, I couldn't smell it at all.  I really don't care for the scent at all.  It does not smell "clean" to me.  "Murky" might be a better word, but I did notice a "musk-like" scent.

Day 2: Bobbi Brown Beach. I am longing for warm sunny weather! It is 15 degrees with blowing snow where I am now! 😞 This fragrance is refreshing, and I love to wear it year round!

I love this one! I also love replica beach walk I cannot choose between the two. I ended up buying both a while back because the indecision was too much. 🙂  

i am so excited for this! i have a zillion perfume samples, and SO much actual fragrance.

today (Jan 2) i am wearing commodity gold. i am a big fan of all their scents that i've tried, and this one is really lovely. it's musky but also somewhat of a gourmand scent- i think this might be a must have but we'll see how it wears all day.

This is such a timely thread for me. I did not wear anything today, New Year's Day, except body spray from Philosophy -- Snow Angel/Sweetly Fallen Snow. But I've certainly had the intention of trying out all my sample vials.

The other day I did gather up all of my magazine-insert type fragrance samples and put them in a bag hanging off of the bathroom door. The goal is just to smell them all. My long term hope is to be able to identify all these fragrances without looking at the name. I have so many multiples, it's very possible I will be able to do that in time.

January 1, 2017

Prada Infusion D'iris

I love this and wear it a lot, especially after a really relaxing hot shower. This scent is not fussy, it's not boring either rather it just reminds me of being clean and refreshed without an overly green smell. Staying power is just o.k. on me and doesn't project very much at all. Inoffensive scent for work or lazy days 🙂 

testing