Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Always Trying New Products, Always Dissatisfied

Hey everyone. My hair is naturally curly, but after dying it over and over in a short period of time, I can't seem to be happy with any products (combination of products) that I use. This pic is styled with OUIDAD - Mongongo Oil Multi-Use Curl Treatment, OUIDAD - Curl Quencher® Hydrafusion Intense Curl Cream, and ouidad botantical boost curl energizing ...

Still unhappy...can someone give me some direction, please!Blog3.jpg

RE: Always Trying New Products, Always Dissatisfied

I would recommend the Olaplex line for curls start with No3 weekly then use No.4/5 as your shampoo and conditioner and No.6 as a leave in your hair and curls will be transformed.

Hey, I have a friend who struggling with the same situation! I will highly recommend the products that I’m using right now and also she is using. You will love it. These are plant base, non toxic, free silicone and sulfate.

Re: RE: Always Trying New Products, Always Dissatisfied

@Daniela015 

Hey thank you....what are the products you are using if you don't mind sharing??

Thank you!

I was in the same boat. I’m in my early 40’s and my hair over the past few years has changed. Just drier I would say. I also color. I’d recommend a non sulfate shampoo. Devacurl is good although it will take time getting used to the ‘Cream/lotion’ feel of the shampoo. Been using Christophe Robin and some Drybar which have made a huge difference. For myself, I bought several trial sizes and sampled a lot before buying the full sizes as they can get expensive.

Re: Always Trying New Products, Always Dissatisfied

You have been given some great advice @Jbird1999. Unfortunately it is trial and error what products and methods may work with styling your hair. 

I would recommend a consultation with a Devacurl stylist who would cut your hair dry working with your curl and wave pattern. The stylist would recommend which products would work with your particular curl type and product placement would be explained. From how you are explaining the condition of your hair, you may also benefit from an Olaplex treatment. 

@Loretta55 , @TrysBeautyItems , @tastelikewater , @KatieBT , @ShortErica 

Once again thank you all! I promise I truly had curly hair, especially in the back. I know all this processing has done some damage...and yes I know, I wash every. single. day. But I'm going to start washing with conditioner most days!

I did the plop method after applying Aveda Damage Repair and Ouai Curl Jelly because I returned the Ouidad stuff. I applied it to soaking we hair upside down and crunched/squeezed. I took the T-shirt off after about 45 minutes and I was amazing that the "waves" were nice and separated and very soft. I think I made a mistake in applying more Curl Jelly bc then I had hold but crunch, too!

@Jbird1999 once your hair is more moisturized, it will come back to life. For now Ride the Wave. If you have a Redken salon, get a hydrating/repair  treatment. Their bonder is the at home part and comparable to Olaplex, easier price too. I've had the Redken treatment (non colored hair, but it's made for it) it helped a lot.

This is the home maintenance product:download.jpeg

Maybe Rita will work, don't  know it.

@TrysBeautyItems , @amyrs1 

Thank you for the product suggestions and salon treatments. I do believe the salon I go to uses Redken! I really appreciate all your care and concern!

@Jbird1999 Over in the “Ride the WAVE” thread, we’ve been posting pictures of how different products and techniques are working for us. Join us in the fun!

@tastelikewater 

Ok, I will. Thanks for the invite!

You need some deep conditioning to help with the damage caused by overbleaching your hair @Jbird1999 . Please get an Olaplex treatment which will help with the damage. Go to their website to look for a stylist who can perform the treatment. My Devacurl stylist was able to perform the treatment. I even took home a Olaplex No. 3 Hair Repair Perfector 3.3 oz / 100 mL

@Loretta55 

Hey lovely! Yes, I suppose I need damage repair. I'm going to purchase OLAPLEX - No. 6 Bond Smoother Reparative Styling Creme. 

Per the suggestions of @KatieBT . Thank you for your help!! 🙂

That is just a styling product @Jbird1999 . That alone will not help to repair the damage caused by over processing your hair. Above all you do need to repair the damage caused by it. If you are worried about the cost of the Olaplex treatment, I live in an NYC suburb and I paid a total of $35.00 which included the takeaway Olaplex 3. I technically paid only $7.00 for the treatment.

@Loretta55 

Dearest Loretta, I will note that. I must be getting ripped off at the salon. My bleaching job took two processes, two different days and I paid 120 plus tip for both!

On my hair today I used Rita Hazan New York!! Weekly Remedy. It's a two part process so I hope this helps. I hate going to the salon....

Thank you 🙂

Sorry I am not familiar with the Rita Hazan line of products @Jbird1999. Hope the Weekly Remedy works for getting your hair back in good shape.

I do have a question though, you never mentioned if you have thin or thick hair?

@Loretta55 

Sorry for that. It's thinning out...but I'd say medium thickness with fine strands.

I believe I got the Rita Hazan from Revolve.com. 

I forgot to mention @Jbird1999, I like the picture that you posted with the fur collar. It appears that your hair blends well with it. 

You did not overpay for the double process bleaching. I pay $48.00 for each touch up which I get done every 8 weeks. In between, I will get what my stylist calls a “band aid” which is a touch up towards the front of my hair, sides, part and on my back cowlick. I pay $20.00 for that service. Unfortunately, like me most women, I have started going grey and I want to remain my original hair color. In the past I experimented with going both lighter and darker. I have also gotten highlights but I just prefer my natural color.

I know that you started another thread about plopping. You mentioned that it took between 2 - 6 hours for your hair to be completely dry. It takes me between 4 - 8 hours for that to occur. I have very thick wavy hair. I posted a picture of it on @ShortErica  thread Ride the Wave. I am looking forward to warmer weather so my hair will dry more quickly.

@Jbird1999 I feel your pain! It’s so hard to find exactly what works. Looks like we have similar wavy/curly hair with highlights so here’s what I have found works for me. I start with something to help with frizz when my hair is damp (if my hair isn’t damp I spray it with a water bottle). My favorite leave-ins aren’t too heavy and just the first step so I recommend Alterna CC cream, Reverie Milk Anti-Frizz Leave-In Nourishing Treatment 3.33 oz/ 100 mL, or OLAPLEX - No. 6 Bond Smoother Reparative Styling Creme (this is new - my hair loves this brand. Oils are also great - I love Moroccanoil Moroccanoil Treatment Hair Oil 1.7 oz/ 50 mL

After my leave-in I add something to define my curls. I love IGK’s products and my favorites are IGK - Sold Out Curl Priming Basecoat  (I suppose this could be used alone but I like to add something to moisturize prior) and IGK Down & Out Dirty Spray 5 oz- this product isn’t for everyone since it adds a lot of grit to your hair. If you want your hair to be big and your curls defined I would experiment with this. I try to add these products while my hair is damp and then I try not to touch it. You probably have heard this but it’s the key to preventing poofy, undefined curls for me. 

While I’m at it, I also love my AQUIS - Lisse Luxe Hair Turbanand Aquis Lisse Luxe Long Hair Towel Desert Rosefor towel drying. I avoid heat styling my hair when I leave it curly so these help speed up dry time. It’s faster than a towel and the material is supposed to be easier on your hair than a traditional towel. 

Good luck!!

@KatieBT @I love Olaplex 3 and use it. I was ready to buy Olaplex 6 Styling cream but then read here from one user that the top ingredient in that is dimethicone. Does that cause build up?

Is it heavy, and causes need for clarifying shampoo often?

@KatieBT 

Ok, well I keep staring at almost all the products you suggested in my basket. I'm returning all the Ouidad. This is the look I achieved with Wella Invigo Nutri Enrich Cream and Ouidad Curl Quencher. NG! It is crunchy and terrible!

BADHAIR.jpg

46 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 46 replies
  • 94 Hearts Given
  • 10 Contributors
Photos4
  • Blog3.jpg
  • Myfavoritehair (2).jpg
  • BADHAIR.jpg
  • download.jpeg
testing