Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Always Trying New Products, Always Dissatisfied

Hey everyone. My hair is naturally curly, but after dying it over and over in a short period of time, I can't seem to be happy with any products (combination of products) that I use. This pic is styled with OUIDAD - Mongongo Oil Multi-Use Curl Treatment, OUIDAD - Curl Quencher® Hydrafusion Intense Curl Cream, and ouidad botantical boost curl energizing ...

Still unhappy...can someone give me some direction, please!Blog3.jpg

Re: Always Trying New Products, Always Dissatisfied

@Jbird1999  if anything, try the IGK - Sold Out Curl Priming Basecoatand let me know what you think! It's a fine mist and shouldn't cause any crunch - maybe try combining that with a wave spray afterward? I tend to lean towards sprays so can't over-do it with product and end up with crunchy or greasy curls 😄 

How much product did you use? Maybe try cutting that in half or diluting it by spraying your hair down afterward with some water? This has saved me many times while trying to figure out how much product to use. The struggle is real but it's so worth it when you nail your routine that leaves your curls defined without any crunch. 

@KatieBT 

Wow! You must know me well...I love the idea of it all, especially the IGK Down & Out Dirty Spray 5 oz

Sounds like I got some shopping to do! Thank you so much for your time and extensive help!!! 🙂

Based on the picture alone I can't see much curl @Jbird1999. That doesn't mean it's not there but perhaps using 3 products is weighing your hair down? Another thing is maybe you need time to grow out or repair the damage from the multiple times you dyed your hair in order to get the curl you want back. @TrysBeautyItems and @tastelikewater have given great comments. Hopefully you can find a solution that works for your hair!

@ShortErica , @tastelikewater , @TrysBeautyItems 

Thank you all for your time and help!!! Love you guys :

You're welcome @Jbird1999! Unfortunately hair products seem to be a lot of trial and error.

@ShortErica 

I couldn't agree more!!!

@ShortErica I was just about to tag you and @Loretta55 in this thread 🙂

Too funny and great idea @tastelikewater@Loretta55 always has some great hair insights.

@Jbird1999 how are you applying products?  What's your thickness, curl pattern?   Drying as in blow dryer? Do you use a diffuser? How often washed?

Reddit r/curlyhair has tons of info. I have curls and do part of the curly girl method.

Tips, no brushes, hands off, microfiber towel - cotton roughs up cuticle leading to frizz. I rarely use heat, towel cuts down drying time (for me same day now) a lot.

@TrysBeautyItems 

I typically follow the instructions on the product. One time a twisted sections of hair all over, but then I didn't know what to do after that. I usually rake a product through my hair. I use a lot of masks, too. So if I use a curl cream and I rake it through my hair I scrunch. Typically, even with the newly purchased OUIDAD - Curl Quencher® Hydrafusion Intense Curl Cream.

I still get some crunch. So I use the Ouidad botantical boost curl energizing and refreshing spray and then it is tacky. Ugh!!!!

@Jbird1999 Step 1 ignore directions and get rid of refreshing sprays. Step 2 on soaking wet hair apply products, but with head upside down and scrunch the product in then plop - microfiber towel comes into play, there's videos of how to plop. Lower head to towel instead will give more definition.

Washing don't every day, I do 2x week and try to not disrupt the curl pattern. I finger 'comb' if needed with conditioner in. When not washing mixture of water and conditioner in a spray bottle to revive.

I lightly spray bumble & bumble hairdresser oil primer first with light finger comb in soaking hair, then shea moisture scrunched into that.

I've used some Ouidad, Shea Moisture has been better.

You also will need to figure out if gels or creams are better - LCO or LOC read up on the curly girl method.

Also a hair trim will help, if you haven't in awhile.

@TrysBeautyItems 

Your name could be mine lol! Thank you for all the advice and I will follow. On the Shea Moisture - what styling product do you use? Thanks again! 🙂

@Jbird1999 lol it's taken awhile to figure out, different climates and short hair adjustments.

I use the line for thick hair, there's various based on type.

@TrysBeautyItems 

OK thank you  again!

Bumble and bumble Hairdresser’s Invisible Oil Heat Protectant Leave In Conditioner Primer 8.5 oz/ 25...

Haven't tried my trial kit yet, but Bumble and bumble Bb. Curl (Style) Defining Creme 8.5 oz/ 251 mL

May help. The old discontinued version was good.

For oil, Bumble and bumble Hairdresser's Invisible Oil Frizz Reducing Hair Oil 3.4 oz/ 100 mL

It soaks in, some oils sit on top of the hair shaft.

If your hair is getting dried out from hot water/hard water, salons can do a hydrating treatment. For home I use every so often, redken bonder pre shampoo. Redken cream shampoo, clarifying for hard water.

@Jbird1999 What are you hoping for your products to accomplish? Curl definition, frizz reduction, etc.

@tastelikewater 

What a very good question! Thank you for taking the time. 

I am looking for definition, bounce, moisture. No tackiness. I actually like a little frizz. Here's a pic of my ideal curls.

Myfavoritehair (2).jpg

@Jbird1999 What a beautiful, bouncy head of curls! I'd want to achieve that too, but I'm a loose wavy so that's not going to happen 🙂

Curly hair is finicky, so what works for one person might not be great for another, but I agree with @TrysBeautyItems about scrunching in products upside-down on fairly wet hair. The only time I "rake" my hair is to finger-comb through conditioner so it's evenly applied, otherwise I'll disrupt any pattern I've tried to encourage. I use an old t-shirt or my trusty Curly Tee Towel to scrunch out excess water without encouraging frizz. I get more curl when I diffuse my hair, but some people prefer air-drying. 

Product recommendations would differ a bit based on your hair density, porosity, etc. I personally can't do creams or butters because they weigh me down; my hair loves mousses or foams with a light gel scrunched on top. Sorry I can't be of more help on that front! 

@tastelikewater 

No I totally understand. Everyone's curls are different and different climates etc. Thanks so much tho for clarifying some things! 🙂

@tastelikewater agree, lots of trial and error to figure out what works for *you*. Curls are tricky.

@TrysBeautyItems I remember when I first started following CG, I was so overwhelmed! All of these crazy terms, the detailed regimens people posted on the Naturally Curly forum...ugh, too much. 

9 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 46 replies
  • 94 Hearts Given
  • 10 Contributors
Photos4
  • Blog3.jpg
  • Myfavoritehair (2).jpg
  • BADHAIR.jpg
  • download.jpeg
testing