Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

Health and Sanity Check-Ins

Things are crazy now. I think we are all trying to stay healthy and maintain sanity as well. I thought I would start this thread so folks can check in and discuss how they're doing. I want all my BIC friends to be okay. I will kick this off with a first post. Take care of yourself lovelies.

Re: Health and Sanity Check-Ins

@pocketvenus 
Oh I am definitely panicking 😳 I’m even afraid to read books I ordered at Chapters, that’s level 100 panic mode! 

@GG84  Just wait 24 hours for paper products although they’re probably safe by the time they get to you unless you have same day delivery.  

@GG84 time to switch to ebooks! ❤️

Checking in from Toronto!

I am fortunate enough to have a wfh situation so husband and I are able to isolate very strictly.

Incrementally, the social distancing measures in the city keep growing stricter although the rapid, piecemeal and inconsistent changes have been confusing for people. While I understand this it's still really frustrating to see gaps in understanding and seriousness between the people I know in hospitals who are like, writing up wills and under constant stress, gearing up for a massive onslaught versus the general public where some people are still not distancing. While healthcare workers are preparing to die for you, you could at least have the decency to not meet up with your friends for a dinner party or socialize with people in the park! Download Skype! 😠 Sorry for the rant, it's just upsetting.

I wish there was more testing going on in Ontario and that it was more rapid. It took my friend around 12h for her to get through to Telehealth ON (on her third try) and over a week to get her test results back. She had returned from the UK and came down with a fever...

To try to stay positive, been doing a lot of skincare, working out indoors, and reading books. Also, wearing all the perfumes I love but can't wear in an office environment! I'm also glad to see people pulling together to fight for worker and tenant rights and to protect the most vulnerable members of society. Like @tastelikewater says, we can look for the helpers and also, we can BE the helpers ❤️

I've read this whole thread, thanks to everyone who checked in and @sprocketta for starting it ❤️ Stay strong everyone!

You have a wonderful outlook, @pocketvenus!  I'm trying to be that way, too.  I am wearing a nice perfume every day while I'm working from home.

That’s a fun idea @curlychiquita ! I’ve been messing with different makeup so I can try and feel somewhat normal but I like doing idea  of perfume too! 🥰

@Sunnysmom @curlychiquita I'll be here if you'd like to try something new and want recommendations <333

I'm wearing Dzing! today which is too weird for the office. Think saddle leather, hay and... caramel. I know it's a strange combo but I swear it works! And fun for a Friday 🙂

Thanks, @pocketvenus!  I'm working through my Tom Fords and Jo Malones.  I talked myself out of buying something new from the Nordstrom sale because I could buy something new every month if I let myself.

@curlychiquita I hear you, it's so easy to shop online now!!

Sounds good @pocketvenus ! 🥰 I bought the little Henry Rose sampler so I’m going to try them soon as I was curious about them. 

@Sunnysmom Nice! I'd love to hear how you find them 🙂

I’ll be happy to let you know @pocketvenus ! 

@pocketvenus  Oh I like that, wearing perfumes you can't normally wear in the office 🙂 It's the little things that will keep us sane.

It's kinda crazy how so many people aren't taking the social distancing seriously. I understand that people heavily discount events that don't directly affect them or are far into the distance, but honestly, this is going to take the community cooperating as a whole to get through. A couple of weeks ago, I was chatting (from a distance!) with the foreman of a large construction site who was heavily dismissing the seriousness of covid-19 and definitely scoffing at social distancing. Fast forward to this week when all non-essential businesses are closed (including construction sites!) and now he's all doom and gloom and can't believe people are still out and about wandering, potentially infecting everyone else. It's annoying that he was skeptical at first, but at least he came around! Can't say as much for the buffoon in chief...

@MissPuff Yes, the change has been so rapid and the information cannot spread uniformly so it's understandable some will take longer to grasp the severity of what is happening in Italy and Spain. My workplace went from "yeah, maaaaaybe we can all stay, let us know if you want to work from home" to "GET OUT GET OUT GET OUT" in two days!

I have a friend out in Vancouver where her spouse works in a safe-injection clinic. She said no one even knew that the pandemic existed until they went to the clinic and were told not to crowd together.

Checking in from the Midwest-KC. We have had a stay at home order since Tuesday. My family started stay in place prior to the order by about 4 days. School out at least until end of April. I did work part time but am not right now. Had to fire my babysitter (my mom) as she wouldn’t stay home! She kept going out and running errands. Feel bad as I am a nurse and I feel bad for my co workers. Business had definitely decreased and I hope no one will be Laid off in our office. My husband is working from home.

I have become a full time kindergarten teacher😳.  I wish the 2 year old would stop screaming at me when I try to help the 6 year old with school work. 😆. I’m missing going out for sure but a good friend came by with her kids and danced at our front window while maintaining good social distancing!! Brought a smile to my face! The school teachers did a drive by parade through our neighborhood which made me 😭

Im making time for myself in the form of runs on my treadmill. I’m also trying to take my 6 year old out to play in front yard or walks with social distancing. 

My cousin in Seattle got his COVID 19 test result and he was negative. 😥 Was happy to hear that news. He seems to be feeling better so that’s good. 

Hope everyone is taking some time for themselves. 

@jen81, good job taking care of your family and yourself!  I'm glad your cousin tested negative and is feeling better.

Checking in from Chicago! I'm a counselor at an independent school, and while nobody's said anything officially yet, there are plenty of whispers that we won't go back to school this year. I can't wrap my head around it at all; we're definitely out until April 21st, and even that feels surreal. Thankfully I received the go-ahead from my principal to begin delivering virtual check-ins with my kiddos. Many are anxious, some seem unbothered, and honestly the parents seem worse off than the children. It's been so nice to connect with them, *plus* I've been able to meet some adorable family dogs!

Personally it's up and down, as I'm sure goes for many of you. I live alone, so it's very quiet here. For my mental health I've turned off the news and Facebook completely, take a daily bike ride if the weather cooperates (more effective for social distancing than walking), and I've written up a loose schedule and checklist to structure my time. I also find goal-setting to be helpful, so I came up with three for my first two weeks at home: 1) No mindless snacking, 2) No online shopping outside of groceries/necessities, 3) TV in the evening only. 

It's so easy to give into negativity and despair, so I'm trying my hardest to find kindness in every day. Focus on how people are caring for each other, building community, connecting in ways they haven't before. As Mr. Rogers said, "Look for the helpers." It's definitely keeping me balanced during this strange, sad time. 

I hope you're all well, and I'm glad you're here. 

Thank you for checking in and sharing your thoughts, @tastelikewater!  I took a Facebook break for a lot of the day and may need to for longer. I'm not trying to ignore CVID19 but I don't want to think about it 24 hrs a day.

@tastelikewater Right after healthcare workers like doctors and nurses, we need mental healthcare workers. Never has the entire population been on house arrest all at once, so thank you for your service!

Youre a strong person for resisting online shopping. Buying baby toys and clothes is like the only thing I have to look forward to right now!

it feels like we’re in the Great Depression with so many empty aisles at the grocery store. I started getting on my husband’s case for gratuitous paper towel usage. We’re about to run out!

@itscarin I think my willpower is wearing down! It's my birthday in two weeks, so since I can't go out I might spend that money on a small haul instead 😁

Nothing wrong with treating yourself a little for your B-Day, @tastelikewater :).

7 Replies
testing