Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

Health and Sanity Check-Ins

Things are crazy now. I think we are all trying to stay healthy and maintain sanity as well. I thought I would start this thread so folks can check in and discuss how they're doing. I want all my BIC friends to be okay. I will kick this off with a first post. Take care of yourself lovelies.

Re: Health and Sanity Check-Ins

Lol, @GG84,  I know.  I'm not actually going to buy one; I know that it's because I'm just feeling a little stressed and that's a great outlet for me and I miss the people! I'm honestly so thankful for this community because it's a great way to connect with friends since obviously social distancing is encouraged right now :).  

@CookieGirl1, exercise is a real stress reliever for me, and I'm sad that my gym is closed.  I'm doing some pushups and situps, but it's not the same. 😕

I haven't swam in months, but now that all the stores are closed (which was my excuse to get out of the house) now I really wanna go swimming!!

I feel you @CookieGirl1!  It's been raining & cold here too. I've been trying to get in some exercise in the home & open the door for some fresh air a little when it isn't raining.  A lot of companies are offering free workout videos and I have been thinking of trying some of those.  Hang in there!  Hopefully, clear skies will be on the horizon for us all!

Thanks for the encouragement, @mrsmouse.  I know that everyone else is in the same boat but it still feels hard, doesn't it?  Guess I'm just feeling whiny...

It absolutely feels weird @CookieGirl1!  It's also a little disheartening too when you have the motivation, but not the means.  😞

Three months, you guys!  Does that feel like forever to anyone else?!  I really miss being able to go out to eat. I really don’t know how I’m not going to go crazy for 3 months. There’s been periods where I haven’t gone out (maybe not for 3 months) but it’s different when you can and choose not to versus when you can’t. 

I can’t even imagine what this is going to look like for the economy. Pro: everyone will save a ton of money by not being able to eat out. Con: those servers are going to lose their income. Pro: we’re reducing our carbon footprint. Con: those people who work at airlines and in airports will lose their jobs. 

Maybe everyone will start working at toilet paper factories and shipping share houses since those are the only things still open!

Maybe Andrej from 90 day fiance will finally become a trucker since the demand for truckers will probably increase. See how easy it is to start going down weird rabbit holes when you’ve got nothing but time to think?

Checking in from AL. While we tend to be a bit behind the rest of country in a lot of things (there aren't many lists where AL is over, say, 48 or 49 🙄), and we were one of the last states to report having the virus (48, IIRC), we have managed to come from behind to be somewhere in the top half of the list now. It's hard to say exactly where because the aggregate CDC data is always behind, but our numbers make pretty significant jumps daily. We're making strides where we should have tried harder to stay behind for once. 😥 We've got 167 cases, and my county is always hovering around/just under half of the cases (79 as of now). The first case in my county was extremely local to me, in my suburb, shopping at the same stores I do up and down the main road here. I don't know if our paths ever crossed or not, but it's been 14 days since they would have, so at least I'm pretty confident I didn't catch it from him...

My parents live a block away from my sis and me. They're both in not so great health. Both are diabetic, mom uses a walker most of the time, and dad has his own issues as well. But as recently as a few days ago, neither of them took this seriously. Mom doesn't leave the house much anymore anyways, but Dad was shopping at WM and going to motorcycle club meetings at Golden Corral and otherwise out and about every day, making him susceptible to both catching it and bringing it home with him. I think they've both come around though...dad decided to postpone his eye surgery for a bit, and mom cancelled a not-necessarily-essential doctor's appt she had later this week, so thank goodness for small favors. 

I work from home anyways, and have always been content to leave just once or twice a week, but with this sudden shift of "no, really, don't leave the house", I'm starting to go a little batty. It's been 10 days since I left, and while I'm 99.9% certain I have enough of everything to get by for at least a couple more months if needed (minus fresh produce and milk), I'm feeling a bit of cabin fever. I'd love a couple of bags of mulch and some plants to fix up my shabby garden beds, but it doesn't seem worth the risk to go get them. I've been planning to redo my closet this year, and now would be a great time to work on demo and rebuilding, but the organizers I want are OOS, so that's out too. Rain doesn't help either...I'd love to go for a walk, but that's out, at least for today. Maybe tomorrow! 

I just try to remember that the more everyone stays home, the quicker this too shall pass. I hope everyone is staying as safe as possible, and that we can come through this better and stronger with minimal losses. Much love to everyone here 💜💜

That's great that your parents and sis are so close and I'm really glad your parents are starting to take this seriously @RGbrown!  Mine were, sort of, but didn't think things completely through.  Like my Mom still babysat for my cousin and then she was going to have my son over even though he had just been in the hospital (he's out now and fine).  I had to remind her that anyone can have this, not know it, and accidentally expose you.  Also, that we can't know if my son was exposed while he was in the hospital (trying not to let my anxiety run away with this).  She has since postponed things and is being more mindful.

I am grateful that there are a lot of us who can work from home (I don't normally, but accommodations were made so I could), but my heart aches for those who are losing their job and businesses.  

I'm really hoping with everyone staying home as much as possible that the spread will slow down and that less people will be at risk.   

Thanks for sharing how you are doing!  I wish you, and your family, health and happiness during this challenging time!

Stay Safe @RGbrown  Growing numbers in your county can be frightening but it’s great that you are careful and ur parents have started to take things seriously as well. Hang in there girl!

@fatimamummy 

I hope y'all are staying safe up there as well! ❣️

Glad to hear your parents are starting to enter quiet mode, @RGbrown

I hear your pain about the fresh produce. I eat salads daily and knew I'd have to give that up for the time being. I am feeling more sluggish, just hoping to wait this all out like you. Good for you, by the way. Just planted a memorial garden last month for my pup that passed last year, anniversary of it is coming up this week and so glad I did it when I did. I've got some other plants to plant but the motivation is totally lacking. As it the exercise 😄

@eshoe 

I miss my daily banana more than anything 🍌 it's funny how something so simple can have such a big impact. 

My sis had just added me to her YMCA membership last month, and I was just into the groove of going at least a couple of times a week before this hit. Fitness has never been something my family was into before, but we're trying to be better. I've got got zero motivation right now too, but really need to get myself back up and doing something 👟

@RGbrown have you tried frozen bananas blended with vanilla almond milk? It’s really good. Can even take the place of ice cream if you’re in the right mind-set😄

I used to be SO good about daily exercise. I downloaded Pelotan but haven’t tried it yet. Did some sit ups and push ups today so maybe it will turn into a full on work out tomorrow, who knows.

Add a little cocoa powder to the frozen banana and it can satisfy a chocolate craving!

@eshoe 

I've never actually added anything to frozen bananas before. I used to freeze them all the time and run them through the food processor, just plain. We called it "one ingredient ice cream". So good! I haven't done that in years though...had forgotten all about it!

See now I’ve never heard of that, @RGbrown! We might have to try that in a few weeks if we can’t get any milk. Hope it doesn’t come to that, though.

@RGbrown I can even just eat frozen bananas plain without even running them through the processor!  I actually LOVE eating frozen fruit--grapes, pineapple, peaches, and blueberries are favs.  We actually purposely freeze fruit in our house just so that we can eat it like that :).

@eshoethat's so good!  I got some bananas when I went out last time, since I have a can of coconut milk and pineapple and figured I could make some nice frozen treats, haha...

@treestar86 it’s the best trick I’ve learned, I don’t let bananas turn to the point of banana bread anymore😂 

Now a can of coconut milk and some pineapple, lucky you! Sounds like a delicious concoction:)

@eshoe  good thing I'm a hoarder. 😄 lol.  now I'm out of dried bananas though. 😞  but I do have a dehydrator, haha. 😉

1 Reply
testing