Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

Habit Stacking Thread ๐Ÿ“š

Hello BIC! Habit stacking is something I have been doing mindfully for the past few years now and thought it would be fun to discuss and share here. It has helped me save time, be more efficient and have more time for what is important to me (spend time with family/friends, scroll on BIC, read).

What is habit stacking?

Habit stacking is essentially exactly what it sounds like: taking a new habit and adding it to something you already do habitually. Habit stacking works by identifying a habit or a behavior you want to start doing and tacking it onto something you already do regularly.

Example (I do all of these at the same time):

First Habit - Prepping and making a meal in the Instant Pot

Second - Put a load of laundry on while the food is cooking

Third - Putting hair oil on my scalp or put a hair mask in

Forth - Work out (while I am working out, dinner is cooking, laundry is washing and my hair is getting a treatment)

I thought maybe this could be a space where we discuss our habit stacking, share ideas, support, learn and motivate eachother. 

What habit stacking did you do today? 

images (3).jpeg

images (5).jpeg

โ€ƒ

โ€ƒ

Spoiler
I am open for suggestions for this thread. Maybe we can do challenges weekly or monthly?

Re: Habit Stacking Thread ๐Ÿ“š

@CynthieLu I will have to ask my friend what it is called and report back to you. She swears by them. She has one for herself and daughter. She had bought them for several friends, so I am sure she will remember the name. It is a satin piece, but is it is mmore flexible and soft and has rope like pieces hanging off that you wrap your hair around. My friend said she bought the more expensive rod type ones but this less expensive version is her favourite because she says it is comfortable to wear to sleep. 

OMG @Mellmars1185 ITS LIKE YOU READ MY MIND!!! I actually JUST finished reading the Atomic Habit (im so late) and he totally talks about habit staking and building up your routine. I've been trying to practice it and it's been quite easy for me because I'm a lady of routine ๐Ÿคญ

This is a habit that I've been building specifically because of the Pan It! - 2024 Challenge 

Pamper Habits 2x a week:

• [Add new 1]Calendar reminder notifies me to dry brush at 9pm which is usually when I take a shower (built routine)
  • [Add new 2] Dry brush sits on a plant stand outside my shower which almost forces me to use it before my shower and the dry brush sits next to my body lotion so I'm staring at my lotion the whole time I'm showering (I know, it's totally a serial killer vibe). I apply my lotion the moment I dry myself or else I won't do it.
  • I get dressed and walk towards my bathroom sink where all my Pan It Challenge items sit out on a little tray [add new 3], I apply my Vegamour GRO Hair Serum for Thinning Hair 1 oz / 30 mL , my Verb Ghost Weightless Hair Oil . Skin care including cosmedix simply brilliant (I'm done with my other items so I've gained some freedom, YAY!)
  • [Add new 4] guashua

It took me a little while to get used to all these tasks/habits but now I'm like an oiled machine. It's amazing how I do these automatically and don't even think about it! I feel very pretty these days and I owe it all to this routine that no one sees ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคญ๐Ÿคญ๐Ÿคญ

@jaaayp I saw you were reading that book on the BIC book club! Thread, so I had to tag you. I also read that book. It helped me but I may need a refresher. I listen to a podcast where one of the hosts talks about her habit stacking. It is pretty neat to hear about what she does. 

I think your self care habit stacking is so smart. You have developed a great routine. The Pan It! - 2024 Challenge is really inspiring to use up products. I need to put the dry brush on my counter. Out of site, out of mind. I also lotion after the shower. I will forget otherwise. It is a new habit for me. Previously, I would lotion once I noticed my skin getting dry ๐Ÿคญ

Yaaa I took some notes from the book and habit staking was definitely one I remember @Mellmars1185 the podcast sounds like a really good refresher of the concept! You know it's funny, if I dry brush, I HAVE to moisturize my body or else the skin feels a little tight. So it kinda forces me to anyway. And yessss. Moisturizing is really something that I subconsciously avoid.... but you know, I do enjoy looking less ashy.. and my tattoos look more crisp ๐Ÿ˜‚ my tattoo artist was impressed (he always tells me YO, YOU HEARD OF LOTION?)

@jaaayp Oh yes the tattoos look much brighter when moisturized. I only have a few but I know what you mean. I actually have to use my dry brush on one that I am getting removed. I tend to only dry brush on that area, so ths is a reminder to do it on more surfaces. Thank you!!

I forgot to ask, how are you liking the Vegamour?

Today I put on OUAI Hydrating Scalp Serum for Healthy, Fuller Looking Hair 2 oz / 60 mL before I did my makeup for the Re: Makeup Challenge of the Week 2021/2022/2023 so it had time to soak in and dry down. It was hair wash day today. I always seem to create my favourite looks when I am just playing around or have to wash them off. Can anyone relate to this?

I love the OUAI Hydrating Scalp Serum for Healthy, Fuller Looking Hair 2 oz / 60 mL it just took a few weeks to see results from daily use but it's sooooo good ๐Ÿ’ฏ @Mellmars1185 

@CynthieLu That is amazing. I just opened mine. What type of results are you seeing?

@Mellmars1185, I love this!

I have been habit stacking just to get back on track with certain small things I used to do, but after all of life's fun changes, kind of fell off.  One example, taking my MVI and getting in some water.  I try to take my water bottle, refill it and have the MVI next to it and try to do it right after I do my dishes, since I do that every morning and it worked well today.  I chugged a whole 20 ounces without an issue, and I try to get in at least 50ish ounces of water a day.

@danielledanielle Thank you ๐Ÿฅฐ! That is excellent you were able to make time to get in more water. That is something I need to work on. 

Spoiler
What is an MVI ? I tried googling it but it said Motor Vehicle Inspection ๐Ÿ˜”

๐Ÿคฃ, definitely not that.  It's an abbreviation for Multivitamin

Build Good Habits.jpg

I'm going to try to get in the habit of doing the following routine (meal prep + hair care + workout + body care +  skincare) once per week through the end of May:

Will check back in periodically @Mellmars1185 about how the habit stacking routine is going (and/or to get some encouragement or tips & tricks). Wish me luck!๐Ÿคž

I love how organized your habit stacking is and very well thought out for specific categories. This is giving me some great ideas. ๐Ÿ’ก this is very inspiring! @itsfi 

@peculiarzmakeup, the Fable & Mane pre-wash hair oil is one of the products I've included in this year's Pan It! - 2024 Challenge - I've only recently figured out the best way to use the hair oil, which is a plus. It's one of those products that I don't instinctively think to use, so combining it with my skincare routine, a workout, and meal prep will hopefully help make it easier to turn it into a habit. We shall see! I also wanted to find a way to put that Soft Services exfoliating scrub to regular use - it's good for making the soles of my feet soft and smooth so this'll give me opportunities to use it. 

I love that plan! And itโ€™s great you have a goal set for once a week till May. That oil sounds incredible!! @itsfi 

Thank you @peculiarzmakeup! I know me - if I donโ€™t give myself some time to make it routine (and to fail a couple of times at getting to once per week consistently) then I might just forget about even trying to make it a habit. Oops. Until May gives me enough time to both work through the rough starts (and make adjustments to the routine) as well as to get the habit to stick. It also seems like a good time to give it a fair shake to decide if itโ€™s right for me and what else I have going on. Here we go! 

That is very relatable. I think with any goal or addition to a routine itโ€™s amazing to see through on a daily basis, I love this habit stacking thread. Each day is so different and finding these hacks to incorporate is so important. Itโ€™s a learning process to see how it fits in the day. I hope you enjoy the process. Look forward to seeing updates from everyone. ๐Ÿซถ๐Ÿ’• @itsfi 

Thanks for starting such an amazing thread @Mellmars1185  and sharing such an incredible topic to think about and utilize. 
๐Ÿ˜Šโœ๏ธโฐ๐Ÿ’„

@peculiarzmakeup I am so glad you are enjoying it. I definitely would consider habit stacking a life hack. Time is something I think we could try to optimize. I like that we can learn from eachother. I am happy if one of my habit stacking posts impacts just one person in a positive way. I wasn't sure if it would be a topic people would be interested in.

@itsfiI like your habit stacking routine and how you started off with one day per week. It is definitely attainable. Your routine seems productive, yet relaxing at the same time. Is there  a specific day of the week you are planning on doing this routine? Do you prefer to take your time or efficiently cross items off of your list? I cannot wait to hear how it turns out for you โ˜บ๏ธ!

*EDIT* My SO told me today that habit stacking is like tetras. I thought that was an interesting way of looking at it. I think I may be rubbing off on him!

Thank you @Mellmars1185! Right now, the day I do this will depend on my work deadlines and schedule. I'm thinking Tuesday night or Saturday morning. I'm hoping that the routine will stick by the end of May and then during the summer months, I'll do the routine twice per week, except that the hair oil will be once per week and then a hair mask will be once per week - though in that case, I will probably do one workout at home and one long walk outside since the weather should be nice by that time. I could also walk to my gym and workout there. 

lol, tetris! That's awesome that you're rubbing off on him. Does he have any habit stacking routines he cares for you to share with the rest of the class? Or, any tetris strategies?

@itsfi ๐Ÿ˜† I will definitely ask him for his habit stacking input. He likes to point it out, so I wonder if he is mindful of it in his own routines. Today, I kept forgetting things in the basement and had to go back and get things, and he said, " See you are habit stacking because you are getting things and exercising." He was right about that, lol.

88 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 88 replies
  • 289 Hearts Given
  • 11 Contributors
Photos3
  • images (3).jpeg
  • images (5).jpeg
  • Build Good Habits.jpg
testing