Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

Habit Stacking Thread ๐Ÿ“š

Hello BIC! Habit stacking is something I have been doing mindfully for the past few years now and thought it would be fun to discuss and share here. It has helped me save time, be more efficient and have more time for what is important to me (spend time with family/friends, scroll on BIC, read).

What is habit stacking?

Habit stacking is essentially exactly what it sounds like: taking a new habit and adding it to something you already do habitually. Habit stacking works by identifying a habit or a behavior you want to start doing and tacking it onto something you already do regularly.

Example (I do all of these at the same time):

First Habit - Prepping and making a meal in the Instant Pot

Second - Put a load of laundry on while the food is cooking

Third - Putting hair oil on my scalp or put a hair mask in

Forth - Work out (while I am working out, dinner is cooking, laundry is washing and my hair is getting a treatment)

I thought maybe this could be a space where we discuss our habit stacking, share ideas, support, learn and motivate eachother. 

What habit stacking did you do today? 

images (3).jpeg

images (5).jpeg

โ€ƒ

โ€ƒ

Spoiler
I am open for suggestions for this thread. Maybe we can do challenges weekly or monthly?

Re: Habit Stacking Thread ๐Ÿ“š

Habit Stack Check In #4 - August Update

Coming in late with my update for this month @Mellmars1185.

Habit Stack - Reading for leisure while either out for lunch/coffee or waiting for dinner to finish cooking
  • This went phenomenally well when I was on vacation - I finished 4 books during my trip. Coming back from it and re-engaging in my daily routine, however, has been rough on my habit stacking efforts. ๐Ÿ˜”
  • I intended to take a week off from leisure reading because while I loved getting through 4 books, that's a lot for me in a short amount of time. I wanted to reset my expectations for myself and it's been a lot more challenging than I expected - not so much to read, but to carve out the time. But I do want to get back into the habit of it, even if it's not with the same regularity or routine as I was keeping to pre-vacation. 
  • Aiming to kickstart the habit tomorrow morning, with a walk to a cafe where I'll sit with a cup of coffee and my book. 

Habit Stack - Drinking at least one glass of water during morning and evening skincare routine (that's 16 oz down right there, if I stick to it)
  • Keeping up with this in the morning has been okay, but it could definitely be better in terms of consistency and getting through a full 8oz before I leave for work.
  • Doing it at night, however, has been a no-go the last couple of weeks. On the nights I get through a full routine, I don't always remember to bring my water bottle with me. Ugh. Most nights though, particularly this week, I've either just done a quick routine then gone to bed or there's been a day or two where I've fallen asleep (not intending to) and gotten up a 2-3 hours later and then quickly removed my makeup and applied moisturizer and a face oil. 
  • Tonight though was different. I came home, poured myself a glass of water, started dinner, and went through a longer-than-typical evening skincare routine while dinner was cooking. <<insert pat on back ... here>> ๐Ÿ˜Š Done! And you know what? I feel better. 

This was tonight's routine, complete with a glass of water! ๐Ÿ‘ And I had an audio book playing while I was going through my routine - another habit stack! Not sure if I'll keep up with this, but it went well tonight.

8.2024 Habit Stacking.jpg

Habit Stack - Digital Detox & Self Care (to unwind, destress, and sleep better)
  • The digital detox has been happening ... most of this month. The concurrent self care though hasn't been keeping up with the digital detoxing - I've been falling asleep without even thinking about unwinding, or I've decided to bypass the unwinding portion of my evening routine altogether and just go to bed after washing up.
  • Getting back on the wind down track again tonight! In fact, I'm heading off to unwind right after I hit "Post" on this update. Going to stretch, apply cuticle oil to my nails, have some quiet time, put on a steam eye mask (and maybe a couple of the products in the LANEIGE Bouncy & Firm Plump, Firm & Glow Set) and drift off to sleep. Night, night, BIC!๐Ÿ›Œ

@itsfi Ohh reading while on vacation sounds like the ultimate reset. I totally understand getting back into a routine can be hard. Walking for a coffee sounds like a nice treat. That is something I would like to make more time for. I am glad you feel better after taking the time for an extra long skincare night and some water. I hope you find a balance this month that works best for you โค๏ธ

@Mellmars1185, getting in some fresh air and walking has been nice; I want to try to make it more of a routine. I sometimes find myself not even getting the coffee - but don't worry, I can always make some at home. I will not be without my coffee. ๐Ÿคฃ I'm lucky to have a few coffee places within a good walking distance of me, some closer than others. I started putting all my coffee shop gift cards in a bowl that sits on the table near the front door, so I can grab one on my way out. 

Thank you; balance can feel elusive sometimes but it's worth the effort; just have to find what works for me. I've been thinking about it and will see what sort of plan I come up with. ๐Ÿคž I've noticed that sleep plays a crucial factor so I've been trying to be very good about getting to bed earlier - AND doing some sort of wind down routine before that.

@itsfi Those are some great ideas. Oh yes sleep is a big factor. Are you a night or morning person?

Your last poat reminded me there is a little balery near my house where I can get coffee. I just need to find where I can carve time in. It seems when I get home from work I go go go until it is time to sit down with my SO. Once I sit down, I dont get back up until it is time to go to bed. Maybe during that time aftet dinner when I am sitting down, I should try getting back up and walk. I think I might sleep better when I am phyically more tired. Plus a walk would help clear my mind. 

Yes, yes @Mellmars1185, getting some fresh air and/or sun (if your walking break is in the morning) is so nice and I do find it is good to clear the mind. The hard part, for me, is finding the time or making the time. I started small, just a quick walk at first, 10 minutes, and as I was realizing how good it felt afterwards or even during, it became a little easier to carve out a little more time either that day or another day. Some of it for me was tacking on errands to the walk - if I have to get something done anyways and there's someplace close by, then that made it easier - multi-tasking. Walking to the ATM during my lunch break. Walking to Sephora to drop off empty bottles to recycle (and making sure not to linger too long in the store ๐Ÿคฃ). 

@itsfi Walking at work is a great idea. Oh, yes starting small is a great idea. It is great for starting a habit ๐Ÿ˜Š. Lately, I have gotten in the habit of reading. But I think it would be better to get outside. Ohhh, a Sephora during walking distance? Now that is very convenient! 

@Mellmars1185 I usually multitask/ habit stack on a daily basis. 

Loading laundry, dishwasher, prepping food, relaxing and masking in the bath, making my food list while I cook for the next day 

@lmaster Thanks for sharing! Planning food is always so helpful. I find it hard to think of things last minute. When I do, it usually ends up costing more because I end up ordering. Masking while having a bath sounds like a relaxing way to practice self care ๐Ÿ’ž

@Mellmars1185  hey thanks for the tag!  I tried a new one recently with whitening strips.  I started going for early morning walks and decided Iโ€™d wear the strips while walking cause itโ€™s exactly one hour.  Aaaaand now all my neighbours may think I have a lisp cause of course I have to stop and chat with everyone I see ๐Ÿ˜œ.  I had no idea everyone was out doing yard work and walking at 6am and this was when to meet the neighbours! ๐Ÿ˜†

I love that stack! @heartsmyface I would have such a hard time leaving the house with those in, I know that talking to anyone would be tricky. They tend to make my mouth salivate heavily if I move my face at all. ๐Ÿ˜‚

@heartsmyface Whitening your teeth and a morning walk sounds very peaceful. Maybe all of your neighbors are trying to beat the heat by being out early? They say the early bird gets the worm?!? ๐Ÿ˜† oh I know what you mean about the lisp and those strips. They really do work though!!

@Mellmars1185  Well, from talking to them they are either beating the heat or bypassing the no lawn watering bylaws.  Now I know how they keep their grass green. 

we have funny laws where youโ€™re allowed to water your shrubs daily but not your grass - except once a week where you have a three hour window to water grass.  Thereโ€™s a vendetta against grass.  

This is brilliant @heartsmyface! Iโ€™m trying to use whitening strips. I took a few with me on my vacay and it did not go well - my teeth were so sensitive. ๐Ÿ˜ฉ Maybe Iโ€™ll try this, but start off slow - or maybe Iโ€™ll be distracted by walking. I donโ€™t think any of my neighbors will be up though. ๐Ÿ˜† 

@itsfi  Well that was my thought too.   But apparently there is a whole world of morning people and they happen to also be very social.  

I like that itโ€™s easier to time the process on a walk.  Doing it at night sometimes results on me sleeping in them and then I get VERY sensitive. Iโ€™ve never had the thickest enamel so my teeth have a natural yellow tinge from the dentin. It hurts (serious nerve pain) to get it professionally lightened so here I am with strips making sure any surface stains from my tea addiction are at least gone.   

Hey everyone! Bringing back some love to this thread. I was wondering if you did any habit stacks this week? If not, do you think it would be something you would be interested in?

@Sunnysmom @CynthieLu @danielledanielle @itsfi @niki172 @heartsmyface @faeriegirl @sister13 @Samtian @missjeanie @lmaster @SportyGirly125 @melissapurple22 @Missnur @Saradestin @CookieGirl1 @ather @Buootiful @Guessgal 

Hi @Mellmars1185 - The only one I can think of recently is deadheading my morning glories while I'm grilling outside since it's right next to the grill. I can't stray too far around the yard or I'll forget and burn the food, but since it's right next to it, I can do that, lol. Deadheading s cutting the spent blooms and helps spur the plant to put out more blooms! ๐Ÿ™‚   

@sister13 That is a great habit stack! Plus being ourdoors while cooking is so nice ๐ŸŒž ๐ŸŒผ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒป

This is a terrific idea @Mellmars1185, thanks for starting this.  Iโ€™m getting tons of inspiration reading what all everyone does. Also feeling like I should be doing a lot more! ๐Ÿคฃ One little thing I do that comes to mind is a bit of self care when Iโ€™m doing a pup walk. I find at least 3 things that bring me joy- always different. Sound of birds, flowers, happy people or pups. Helps calm my squirreling brain too. I also do a little gardening while I am tending to pup stuff outside. Lol. Little habits of cleaning a drawer out while I cook pup food, reading the current news, doing some laundry or just tidying up help too. Love to read all of this. What a cool idea! ๐Ÿ’ž

Those are great stacks @Sunnysmom๐Ÿ‘Œ

And taking the time to find things that bring you joy and help calm your mind, that's absolutely beautiful. โœจ

Itโ€™s such a great reminder. I think @Mellmars1185 should patent this too! ๐Ÿฅฐ

131 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 131 replies
  • 507 Hearts Given
  • 14 Contributors
Photos4
  • images (3).jpeg
  • images (5).jpeg
  • Build Good Habits.jpg
  • 8.2024 Habit Stacking.jpg
testing