Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2024 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

ElleElleG_1-1712024799681.jpeg

New Year,  New Thread, cheers to Year 10 of the  of the No/Low Buy Thread 🥂🥂

This thread was initially created by the amazing @lnum and this is how she described the purpose of this challenge: 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

Some 2016 insights from lnum:

Spoiler

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Interested in Past Threads? Check here:

Spoiler

Other Challenges/Threads that May Help You/Your Spending Goals

Spoiler

Re: 2024 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

@ather That sounds amazing and super fun! What has been your fave place you have visited or travel 

@sydneylof23  I really enjoy going to Mexico! I like to go to resorts so I can decompress and relax. I’m not much of an adventurer when I travel. Maybe some day I will but for now I like to recharge! Do you like to travel? Where’s your fav place??? 

@ather sorry for all the messages at once really sorry just had lot of questions and your recommendation was really helpful 

@ather what type of resorts have you been to? Which is your fave resort and is there top place you want to go you haven’t gone yet. Also can you help with some product recommendations by chance to can you give some advice please 

@sydneylof23  my fav so far was the Riu Palace in Cabo! It’s very luxurious and nice. The food was amazing and the resort was great. My next resort I really want to go to is the Royalton in Cancun and we are going in December! I can’t wait. My friend says it’s the best she’s been too. 

@jaaayp, yeah there's no sales, just GWPs or buy ins.  I got the mascara there because it's not available here in blue anymore, and I got the highlighters there because they weren't available elsewhere at the time.  I was basically homebound, so having all these delicious dior goodies helped.

I have def picked up Dior at Ulta and Sephora.  Like I got the star filter with a rouge reward, and so on.  I would make note of the lip addicts you can't find elsewhere and wait for a good GWP for Dior.  Also, there's usually a spend $85 get 500 points promo on Sephora around Memorial Day, so if anything, that's a good time to purchase something.

All these great tips @danielledanielle !!! I'm actually waiting for ulta to have a 20% off coupon... I swear they usually hand them out like candy until I really want it. Smh. I have some points racked up so I wanna combine the 20% and use my points to by the lip addict.. 

Ah yes. Memorial day... I also have rouge reward I need spend but they're reserved for the eadem serum and the huda setting powder LOL (I plan ahead 😂😂😂)

Aaaaasss always, thank you for your thoughtful reply/suggestions. I'm always taking notes 🥰

@jaaayp  I’ve never seen a sale at Dior’s site—not even for Black Friday/Cyber Monday. But Dior items are sometimes on sale at Nordstrom and other retailers, and often included in beauty retailers’ sitewide sales. 

And of course, you can always get that Dior mascara with Ulta points (or Nordy Notes). 😉 Same with several other Dior items. 

Related low-buy woes: I was doing pretty well not buying lots of nail polish. Then Mooncat announced a few days ago that their Lunar Sale was coming. 🙃 I was able to narrow my cart a bit and try to ensure I don’t buy something I can dupe with my current collection. But yeah, I did some damage at Mooncat this morning. And now I wonder if Zoya will do another crazy 70% discount this fall… oh boy. I haven’t even worn polish (beyond Butter London Jelly Preserve shades) in months, but that hasn’t stopped me from wanting more. I just need to keep consulting my swatch sticks when I see new polishes, to convince myself I can dupe ‘em. 

Ah @WinglessOne good to know about Dior.. sigh. Guess I'll just wait for sephora sale for the foundations (I already have an ulta cart ready for check out as soon as they release 20% coupon to checkout with my points 😂).

It seems like your low buy is technically a low buy since you're getting great deals on them! I've been justifying purchases as long as I'm replacing something that I finished or a good deal as well (as that seems to be the consensus).

Polishes are so tough to resist. I literally purchased polishes this week and justified it with, this tiny bottle makes me feel pretty and it'll last literally forever 🙃 

@jaaayp  I don’t think they do a sale. I have never seen one.

Nuuuuuuooooooo @faeriegirl 😢

I've been trying something similar to what @faeriegirl is doing, a limited amount of purchases for the week.   I also tell myself that if it's not a good deal, peace...but I kind of stumbled this week...Eh.  I do better if the purchase is later on in the week I noticed, so if I'm more vigilant about not browsing Sun-Wed, I might fare better.

I did too @danielledanielle mother's day was my legitimate excuse and I will be resetting after this weekend 👀

That sounds reasonable.  I'm about to swerve again, and said today, just start June!  But, y'know what...next week is doable @lmaster .

@danielledanielle @ather @faeriegirl great ideas!!!! I think low buy would be a great way to keep myself sane vs no buy for forever and the binge shop. I think unsubscribing is a good idea too.. but you know the FOMO be 🫠🫠🫠😂😂😂😂 

Thank you guys for the tips! I shall definitely keep these in mind ❤️ 

Unsubscribing definitely helps @jaaayp .

@danielledanielle  That’s so smart! I need to unsubscribe to all the stores I like to shop at. If I don’t see it I don’t know what I am missing. I like the idea of not buying if it’s not a good deal. Or not browsing during certain days. I don’t know if I could limit my purchases to so many a week. I think I would just go overboard. I use to limit my purchases per month which was good too. For now I am going to follow a complete no buy! Hopefully clothing for 8 months and beauty only if I have no back up and I have run out!! 

@danielledanielle  I did really good last week. This week is not looking so good 😬

@faeriegirl  One week at a time! 

We got three more days to hold on, we can do this! @faeriegirl 

@jaaayp  Mmmmm...cookies sound good! 😍

Conversation Stats
Photos2
  • ElleElleG_1-1712024799681.jpeg
  • giphy
testing