Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2024 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

ElleElleG_1-1712024799681.jpeg

New Year,  New Thread, cheers to Year 10 of the  of the No/Low Buy Thread 🥂🥂

This thread was initially created by the amazing @lnum and this is how she described the purpose of this challenge: 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

Some 2016 insights from lnum:

Spoiler

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Interested in Past Threads? Check here:

Spoiler

Other Challenges/Threads that May Help You/Your Spending Goals

Spoiler

Re: 2024 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

It has been 3 weeks since I have placed an order for any form of beauty product. Hope to keep the momentum going.

WOW @Loretta55 three weeks! Congrats 👏 👏 👏 

Thank you very much @jaaayp

That's amazing!! @Loretta55 so proud of your strength 💪

Thank you very much @lmaster. I’m trying to remind myself that I really don’t need anything. I just look at my stash and try to figure out what I have that can possibly dupe what I’m looking for.

@Loretta55 yes, that's a great idea! Our own stashes are worthy 💓

Yay @Loretta55 !  I went to order some of the Lawless GMA deals and fortunately that sale was over.

Nice going @Loretta55 🥂

Thank you very much @danielledanielle. I avoided temptation the other day when Lawless Beauty was featured on GMA Deals. I reminded myself that I have not been happy with the pigmentation of the LAWLESS Forget the Filler Lip-Plumping Line-Smoothing Tinted Lip Balm . The other thing that is tempting me is that Charlotte Tilbury direct has a deal that with a $100.00 purchase you get a free Charlotte Tilbury Beautiful Skin Sun-Kissed Glow Cream Bronzer for free. I truly don’t need anything. I am trying to be strong.

Do you guys have those days where you wake up thinking, I really want to buy X today? 

Today, for me, it's buying from Dior direct.

I woke up at 7am thinking about it and it's 7pm now. In effort to avoid shopping online, I'm going to be turning on Hulu to watch Taken and eat a whole box of cookies. 

Low/no buy 15, here I come.

@jaaayp  ok the important question here is what kind of cookies are you eating??? 

I definitely have those days and I’m like I need x when I usually don’t but I get x in my head and I can’t get it out. I’m so proud you didn’t do it. Was there something in particular you wanted? I have been cheating on beauty with clothes and I do not need more clothes. I wanted to go a whole year not buying clothes but I don’t think I lasted a few days. Although I just booked a vacation in December so I’m resisting the urge to buy all kinds of new summer stuff for my vacation. Maybe I can change my goal to 8 months of no clothes!! 

OMG @ather I'm right there with you. I have a vacation coming up in September and I'm like I should start shopping now to make sure I get stuff I want by September (so illogical considering it's May).... 

I've been really eyeing Dior Diorshow Iconic Overcurl Mascara 090 Black Dior Dior Forever Matte Skincare Foundation Dior Backstage Face & Body Foundation and I literally just found out that Dior direct carries a LOT more shades of the Dior Dior Addict Lip Tint .........

Itching... itching... do you know if Dior direct ever goes on sale...? Or maybe @danielledanielle or @faeriegirl do you guys know...? If good deal, I shall buy? Right? 😂😂😂

P.S. Trader Joe's (idk if they exist in Canada) came out with Ube yogurt covered pretzels... I ate the whole bag 🫠😅😂

@jaaayp  I think it makes perfect sense to me! I mean you can’t wait till September right?? I actually was in a city and at winners and I saw packing cubes and I ended up buying them because when I was away at Easter it got annoying to have all black packing cubes and I couldn’t find my stuff. So I got neon packing cubes so when we go away again I don’t have to search the whole luggage for my clothes!! I’m so excited to try them out! 

Hmm Dior I’m not sure. I haven’t purchased direct from them before! 

Sadly we have no Trader Joes that I am tracking. But I have been lucky enough to try some stuff and it’s so good! Those pretzels sound yummy! 😋 

Ooh, yes. I thought about getting packing cubes but then again... I travel so light, my small carryon is rarely full 🤔 but I do think they're useful either way. Maybe it's time to browse amazon... 

I see we are both just counting down the days till vacation 😂 @ather 

@jaaayp  Ummm I think you need to teach me your ways. How do you only just use a carry on?? My carry on is full and a huge suitcase is full! 

LOL @ather I'm kind of a minimalist in general minus beauty stuff (I think we all know by now that I have a problem in that depth 😅) but my carryon is usually pretty empty. For 1 or 2 week trip, I pack 5 tops, 2 jeans, 1 sweats, (2 shorts if im going somewhere hot), 2 rompers, 2 workout outfits, a lot of intimates (can never have too many of these), 1 pair of shoes (I wear the other but usually both are vans 😂), 1 pair of slippers/sandals, 2 PJs/lounge and my beauty stuff. If I'm going somewhere cold, I try to actually wear my jackets on me vs packing it (the volume takes up so much room). Because I wear a lot of neutrals, I find that I can always create new outfits and mix and match quite easily. I'm also very much a tank and jeans or a jumper girl so I just throw on and go.

I roll all my clothes into tight little rolls, they end up being like hand towel sizes (I'm like a S/M, Size 4). All my clothes usually fit into one side of the carryon... the other side is for my 1 pair of shoes and a makeup bag (it fits all products + brushes) and instead of a curling iron, I bring my heatless headband.

In the little flap between the 2 sides, I shove my intimates and sample packets of skincare and sheet masks and voila, I'm all set 😸 tbf, my guys friends have commented many times to me that I pack lighter than them 🤣🤣🤣

I would love to know what your carryon/suitcase looks like! 

@jaaayp  Wow! That’s impressive! Depends where I am going and who I’m going with. Before I had my little man, my husband and I would share one suitcase. Each have half. I have done a solo trip alone where I only had my small carry on but I prefer to have more options. If we are going south I usually pack enough evening dresses for every night I am there. For day time I have a few throw on dresses I throw over my bathing suit. So those dresses and my bathing suits. Skincare. I use my heartless curler for my hair usually when I’m away! Usually 2 pairs of pjs and some lounge wear. Enough intimates for the whole trip. And that’s it usually. Now we have my little man. My husband shares one suitcase with him and I get my own. Luckily in Canada most airlines give free checked luggage for military members so we don’t have to pay! If I’m going home to visit I usually pack more depending on the time of year. If it’s fall I pack both dresses, shorts and jeans. Lots of shirts. Pjs. Skincare! But I would take my own luggage and my little and big man would share. We haven’t all gone back home together yet so I guess I will see when that happens! If we are going to the city for a weekend we take one big suitcase and I usually pre plan my outfits and only bring what I need! But I really need to get more items that I can mix and match better. 

@ather you mentioned you use hair curlers do you curl your hair often? Do you have fave hair curler or one you find work best? Which is the easiest to use 

@sydneylof23  I have the kitsch heartless curling rod that you put in before you go to bed and you wake up with perfect curls! I love using it. I use to use a curling iron but it takes so much time to do and they would fall out and not last. But I find the heartless curling one works so good and takes no time to do!! I have the regular and the XL version. The XL is to big for my hair since I cut it tho. So if you have shoulder length hair it wouldn’t be the best choice! 

@ather Sorry for confusion didn’t read the whole message how long before bed would you use the curling rod? Also do you like bristle or paddle brush best? Sorry for confusion and hope don’t mind helping out 

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
Photos2
  • ElleElleG_1-1712024799681.jpeg
  • giphy
testing