Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Bath & Body

Shower routines?

Hi everyone,

I was curious to know, what are your shower routines? I wanted to up my game, specifically focus on my body, and was curious on what you all use. My skin is on the dry side and I sometimes use the dove body gel stuff, because it’s there (it’s meh). What do you follow up after the shower? 

thank you for your time 🙂

Laura

Re: Shower routines?

Hi @the1browntown ! I try to keep my showers simple and under 15 minutes long. Most nights, my showers last 5 minutes. 

My body skin type/behavior and issues: 
Spoiler
Dry all year long, especially my legs—and most especially my thighs. It doesn't help that I used to exfoliate my whole body several times a week, every week, with scrubby gloves in the shower. I'm now a recovering body over-exfoliator. 😄 

I have chronic hives on one side of my body and keratosis pilaris (KP) on my forearms. Too much rubbing or pressure on most parts of my body causes a red inflammation flare that sticks around for hours. 
Here's everything I use on my body, excluding my scalp & hair (eh, I shampoo once a week): 

PM

Pre- or post-shower, 2-3 times a month: AHA exfoliant on my arms and legs. I rotate through different products. Currently using Skinfix Resurface+ Glycolic and Lactic Acid Renewing Body Scrub pre-shower or Paula’s Choice Skin Revealing Body Lotion 10% AHA post-shower. The Skinfix product contains some ingredients I can’t use on my face or neck, so I have to be careful about that. 

Shower: 
Spoiler
Though I shower each night, my arms and legs get body wash only once or twice a week. My sweaty workouts happen at night, so I don't have to take multiple showers during the day. I haven't gone for a daytime run since February 2020; when/if I restart running in the afternoon, I'll have to do some kind of quick wash so I don't sit around in sweat and extra bacteria for the rest of the day. But for now: 

• Lukewarm water 
  • CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser Bar (also wash my face with it in the shower) 
  • The INKEY List Oat Makeup Removing Cleansing Balm 5 oz/ 150 mL on certain inflamed areas, if needed; it’s a nice 5-10 minute soothing mask for body and face 
  • Paula's Choice CLEAR Pore Normalizing Acne Cleanser 6 oz/ 177 mL , used occasionally on my back, shoulders, and armpits 
  • Nylon exfoliating shower towel to wash my back; I try not to use it on the rest of my body 
  • Aveeno Therapeutic Shaving Gel + a non-disposable razor, used once every 1-2 weeks to keep my armpits less stinky; I don’t shave my legs unless I plan to go bare-legged and feel like removing leg hair (eh, I don’t always; I’m not grossed out by body hair) 
After shower: 
Spoiler
  • Microfiber plush/high-pile hair towel, lightly patted just so I’m not dripping water everywhere; I make sure my skin’s still damp 
  • Paula’s Choice CLEAR Acne Body Spray on my armpits and occasionally my back 
  • Treatments for face that didn’t work or are no longer needed - random frequency, and I don’t apply each one night, but I’d rather use them on my body than waste them. Current rotation: Paula's Choice Hyaluronic Acid Booster 0.5 oz/ 15 mL , The INKEY List Niacinamide Oil Control Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL , Pyunkang Yul Mist Toner, and Paula's Choice CLINICAL Niacinamide 20% Treatment 0.67 oz/ 20 mL 
  • Aveeno lotion(s), based on what my skin needs that night (always applied to damp skin): 
    • Baby Daily Moisture Lotion - my usual lotion 
    • Daily Moisturizing Body Lotion - my other usual lotion (formulas almost identical to the baby version) 
    • Restorative Skin Therapy Oat Repairing Cream - often used on my neck, chest, and thighs 
    • Eczema Therapy Daily Moisturizing Cream - used wherever I’ve got inflammation flares/hives 
  • Artis Oval 10 Brush to apply lotion to my back; it’s just long enough to reach where my short arms can’t 
  • Routine natural deodorant, usually the scents Superstar, Cat Lady, The Curator, or Sexy Sadie (I’d love to use good ol’ antiperspirant because aluminum's not evil; unfortunately, my pits developed sensitivity to it) 

AM 

• Hydrating mist on arms and legs - currently using Pyunkang Yul Mist Toner or plain ol’ water; will soon add a Timeless HA Matrixyl spray to the rotation 
  • Aveeno lotion(s) on damp arms and legs 
  • Sunscreen on any exposed body skin - many non-tinted sunscreens that didn’t work on my face get used on my body; I currently rotate through many 

A few times a month, I take baths. Usually during the day on a weekend. I love soothing oat soaks (Aveeno's is very simple and effective for me), but I'm also still addicted to various Lush bath bombs and soaks. I like my bath water warm: not hot, but warm enough that I won't feel like I'm being refrigerated within an hour of tub time. During baths, I usually have a full pot of tea or a bottle of wine (or sometimes bourbon) beside the tub, and a book to read. 

I have super dry skin too. I like to switch up some products to keep myself entertained, but my routine itself usually stays the same.

In the shower:

• Shampoo, if it's a wash day
  • Body wash or bougie bar soap
  • Conditioner (on wash days)
  • Some kind of body scrub

After:

• Dry off just enough to not be sopping wet
  • Lotion or body oil on damp skin (my skin has improved so much since I started doing this!)
  • Air dry/wear a towel while doing other upkeep

Right now I'm into the Herbivore Bamboo Charcoal Detoxifying Soap Bar 4 oz/ 113 g and a rotating pile of body wash samples depending on my mood.

For scrubs, I usually buy a German brand (Kneipp's argan and marula one) but I'm trying out the OUAI Cleansing Scalp & Body Sugar Scrub 8.8 oz/ 250 g right now too 🌹 A previous fave was the Fresh cocoa scrub (similarly scary price tag, but a good value because you don't need very much each time). I have pretty intense keratosis pilaris if I don't work at keeping it under control, so twice a week or so I use the FAB Bump Eraser scrub instead.

The OUAI Rose Hair & Body Oil has been my mainstay for several years because I like the scent, but I don't think you have to spend a ton to get a good one - I also really like the SEPHORA COLLECTION Multi-Purpose Oil Jojoba Protecting Oil, and I used a Neutrogena one for a long time before they reformulated everything and ruined all their good stuff 🙄

@the1browntown I use Aveeno body wash and body oil and exfoliate my entire body at least once a week-hands, feet, neck, legs and arms and lips. After the shower I layer on product on my body just like I do with skincare. 

for my feet I mix body oil with my body cream and put Shea socks on from Bath and Body Works. 

I apply Leanne Grace body butter on my arms and legs. 

for my stomach, butt, chest and neck I use extra hydration there. I use Bio Oil, followed by almond skin care oil and use Strivectin wrinkle and stretch mark cream where needed and Caudalie Vinosculpt Lift & Firm Body Cream 8.4 oz/ 250 mL and spray Caudalie Beauty Elixir on my face and stomach. 

Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 12 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing