Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware

Oily to dry ! Help needed

I had seriously OILY skin before I came to Canada and now I have serious DRY skin. Recommend some hydrating serums or creams . Like my skin needs serious repair . Something strong and healing and HYDRATING

Tags:

Re: Oily to dry ! Help needed

@TheGuni Welcome! I have oily skin but sometimes I can get dry in the winter months. The LANEIGE Cica Sleeping Mask is a favourite of mine. At night, after washing I apply The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 Hydrating Serum and follow with a moisturizer. A favourite moisturizer of mine is CLINIQUE Moisture Surge™ 100H Auto-Replenishing Hydrator Moisturizer 

Thanks for the tag @itsfi !

@TheGuni  I see you already received some great recommendations. I didn’t read all the comments just looked at the recommended products so I am not sure if I am repeating something others have already said but here is what I would do. I also have oily skin and when I am not careful and go too strong on acids or exfoliants, it starts to get dry.
Before starting on what you should use, let’s see if there is something in your existing skincare routine that is making your skin more and more dry. 

- What cleanser are you using? It is good to double cleanse at night and use a very gentle non-foaming cleanser in the morning. If you are using a cleanser or toner that has actives like AHA/BHA , I wouldn’t use them every day and limit the use to maybe 1-2 times a week. If after washing your face , you feel your skin is tight and dry instead of soft and glowy, the cleanser is probably too much for you and you may want to change it for something gentle.

- Right after cleansing, applying a hydrating toner/mist on face and then a serum when your face is still damp with the mist is a great technique to retain maximum moisture. After 3-5 minutes you can apply eye cream and moisturizer + Sunscreen during the day.

- I’ll also add an extra layer of a rich sleep mask or face oil in the night time routine to seal it all in so in the morning your skin is soft.

You can use your retinol or any other treatment serum at night but for morning stick to the hydrating serum.

- If you are using any kind of chemical peel or exfoliating mask, limit the use to once a week during winter. Likewise I know we oily gals love our clay masks so choose a mask that doesn’t dry to a hard cracking layer on face but stays creamy and soft through the masking process. Also use it only once a week or if you really then twice.

These are some dos and don’ts that I believe can make a difference. 

For product recommendations, if you can tell me what you already have sitting in your vanity and your budget and also your buying preferences (You want products spec Sold at Sephora or you are open to try other brands) It will be easier to give recommendations making sure what you already have doesn’t go to waste and it all stays within your beauty budget. 

Ultra repair by First Aid beauty 

Hello! I really love the drunk elephant B-hydra intensive hydration serum for dry skin I would recommend using twice a day every day!

I see a lot of really good info and advice is already posted here @TheGuni 🩵 ( @itsfi thank you for the tag)

I think one thing too consider is your routine. Steps like washing with warm water because it's less drying to your face than if you use hot.

Taking time to pat your skin dry with your hands, instead of using a towel. This can help push a bit of moisture right into your skin. (Using Hyularonic Acid on damp skin is much more effect than using it on dry skin.)

I read below someone posted about using facial oil, I agree with this. A couple of drops of a face oils after moisturizing can help your skin retain moisture longer. Or even a tiny bit of Vaseline if you don't have an oil handy.

For repair I like this serum by Elisabeth Arden called Super Start, it's very ceramide rich. I find anything with ceramides really helps my skin with red and repairing 😃

@TheGuni Greetings fellow Canuck! I have dry skin too. Here’s a bit of my routine for dealing with dryness.

The INKEY List Hyaluronic Acid (HA) Hydrating Face Serum 

SEPHORA COLLECTION All Day Hydrator Hyaluronic Acid Moisturizer 1.69 oz/ 50 mL 

LANEIGE Water Sleeping Mask with Niacinamide & Squalane 2.3 oz/ 70 mL 

For repair, you can check out the following

Farmacy Honey Savior All-in-One Skin Repair Salve 1.6 oz/ 46 g 

The Ordinary Soothing & Barrier Support Serum 1 oz / 30 ml 

Tower 28 Beauty SOS Daily Rescue Facial Spray with Hypochlorous Acid 4 oz/ 120 mL 

And don’t forget the small things like staying hydrated throughout the day. Running a humidifier in the room you are most often in is also helpful, especially in the winter.  

Hi @TheGuni, I find that a combination of a face oil and a moisturizer to be very helpful for me when my skin goes from combo-oily to dry/very dry when the seasons change. The following combinations have worked well for me - 

The Ordinary 100% Organic Cold-Pressed Rose Hip Seed Oil 1 oz/ 30 mL + belif The True Cream Moisturizing Bomb With Oat Husk and Vitamin B (there's also a mini version if you want to try it out first)

Biossance 100% Sugarcane Squalane Oil 3.4 oz / 100 mL + OLEHENRIKSEN Skin Barrier Strengthening Moisturizer with Peptides and Niacinamide 1.7 oz/ 50 mL (there's also a mini version)

Other moisturizers that I've found to work wonders, alone or in combination with one of the oils include

Tatcha The Dewy Skin Cream Plumping & Hydrating Moisturizer 1.7 oz / 50 mL 

Dr. Jart+ Mini Ceramidin™ Skin Barrier Moisturizing Cream 0.5 oz / 15 ml 

I'm going to tag some of our Canadian BIC beauties as they may be able to provide some helpful feedback and recommendations, including local brands I'm not aware of. @heartsmyface @missjeanie @ather @Mellmars1185 @Guessgal @fatimamummy @JoSometimes @CynthieLu @bakeamuffin I feel like I'm missing people - so sorry. I'll try to tag more folks later.

Thank you for the tag @itsfi  and apologies for delay in response. I was having log in issues so couldn’t respond earlier.

Thanks for the tag @itsfi!

Conversation Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 18 Hearts Given
  • 8 Contributors
testing