cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Feedback Wanted: Origins Masks

Origins Mask Image.jpg

UPDATE: we have a winner! Dragon Fruit got the most votes of the two masks. Thank you to those of you who voted and helped Origins make this decision!

Sephora and Origins have partnered to give the Beauty Insider Community an exciting sneak peek at brand new, unreleased products from Origins.  Origins has created two masks, Dragon Fruit and Ginger Kombucha, and we want to get your feedback on both. Here are details about each mask:

1. Working name: Dragon Fruit

• Texture: gel cream
  • Key benefits: brightens and hydrates
  • Key ingredients: dragon fruit, vitamin C, walnut shell exfoliators
  • Usage: Apply to clean skin. Wait 10 minutes. Massage into skin while still creamy. Rinse Off.

2.  Working name: Ginger Kombucha

• Texture: creamy clay
  • Key benefits: detoxifies & conditions
  • Key ingredients: fermented kombucha black tea, ginger root
  • Usage: Apply to clean skin. Wait 10 minutes. Rise off while mask is still creamy. 

Once you learn more about each mask we want to hear your opinions. Origins will be asking you to vote on their Instagram (@Origins) during their 3-day voting period from April 8 - April 10. 

Re: Feedback Wanted: Origins Masks

Thanks Sephora and Origins. I have been able to try the Ginger Kombucha. I have dehydrated combo skin. The first time I tried it, I just used one cleanser and the mask. My skin looked cleaner, but I was super oily the next morning, and a little milia thing on my cheek looked a little brighter. Last night I used my two cleansers, toner, the mask, and than essence. After I used the mask I noticed a red splotch appear on a cheek, maybe an allergy I don't know. And the milia got way white/bright. No oiliness this morning. My pores look nice and clean...and sadly huge. Like I can see them a mile away! I really like how the mask didn't dry down or dry out my face. I've never had any mask on me not dry down, or leave my face extremely dry after wards.

Thanks so very much @SephoraBIC and @Originsbeauty for including me on this! I had a Sephora order coming in the mail and I had a moment of utter confusion where I wondered how on EARTH it could have arrived in the space of 12 hours... only to find this instead. Thank you for giving my week a lift! In terms of the masks: I did not try Project Ginger Kombucha because it contains some ingredients I'm allergic to. Project Dragon Fruit was really fun to try. I liked the gel texture and raspberry color. The gritty pieces (I assume from the walnut shells?) were not my favorite, but they were fine to remove after the ten minute period was over. This did make my skin somewhat flushed and red while I was wearing it so I'm wondering if there was something in it that I reacted adversely to-- I did not find it particularly hydrating, rather I was glad to use my usual face oils afterwards. I do have dry skin that can be sensitive though, so that could be why. Thanks again for sending these my way, and I'm sorry for being slow on the uptake posting this.

RE: Feedback Wanted: Origins Masks

I do prefer the Ginger Kombucha! The Dragonfruit was harder to remove and I found the scrubbies kind of gathered in clumps when I tried to rub it in before rinsing. It also left my skin a little pink, almost like it was stained. The Ginger Kombucha was easy to apply and remove and left my skin soft but not dry. What a fun experience! Thank you for including us @Originsbeauty and @SephoraBIC good times!!

I already provided my thoughts about the ginger kombucha (my favorite), but I wanted to quickly comment on the dragon fruit as well before the deadline. The dragon fruit stayed creamy the entire time, although it felt a bit thicker after 10 minutes when I removed it. I definitely felt some tingling the entire time I was wearing dragon fruit, although my skin didn’t feel irritated or anything like that. However, it didn’t seem to have the calming and moisturizing effect that I experienced with the ginger kombucha. The dragon fruit was also a little trickier to wash off. All in all I like them both, but the only one I would purchase would be the ginger kombucha. 

I was able to patch test and also get one use out of the masks (half and half) on my face. The ginger kombucha was the one I was most interested in out of the two. It smells like bubblegum to me lol. It dries down a bit, but it doesn’t feel tight like traditional clay masks. It kind of reminds me of a creamier liquid lipstick. It had a cooling sensation once applied that I felt lasted the duration of waring the mask (10 mins). I washed it off with warm water and a cloth. My skin felt very supple after. Only after one use I’ll be interested to see how this controls oil over the next uses.

The Dragon fruit’s scent was a little too strong for my liking. Smelled like fruit punch to me. I have sensitive skin so strong scents aren’t my favorite. This mask also had a cooling sensation. I don’t usually use physical exfoliants on my skin, but I did still try to massage in the walnut shells. I didn’t have too much success with that. The mask would massage, but since its kind of “slippery” it was difficult to catch the walnut shells and get them to move too. Eventually they all just kind of aggregated on one spot of my face. Theres a possibility maybe I waited too long to massage in so it wasn't still creamy enough? I didn’t see a difference in brightening after one use.

Overall, I prefer Ginger kombucha hands down! I voted on the gram, but it appears to be losing the vote! Thank you again @Originsbeauty, this was really fun experience!

Thanks @Originsbeauty and Sephora for sending me these masks to try. I LOVE masks so I was really excited to try these. I just got them so my review on them can’t be detailed the way I want as I didn’t have time to really test them out and the deadline is today.

I find both masks applied and removed well. They both smell great and not too strong which is huge plus for me as some scents do bother me. Neither of them dried down and both stayed creamy during application. I also like that they both take 10 minutes. For the record I have dry sensitive skin with redness. I followed the directions for both and here are some of my thoughts.

Dragon Fruit:

Smells fruity-citrus. The gel cream like formula was surprising and different for a mask; I quite liked it. I thought the walnut scrub would be too harsh for my skin but it wasn’t. I probably think this because I found it didn’t really scrub well and just went everywhere... too slippery. I'm used to manual exfoliation and I guess I was expecting something else so that part of the mask was kind of meh for me. My face was soft and did appear brighter after. I did have some redness but I think that’s normal for me. I’d have to test it out more to really get a feel for it. I do like it enough to use it again though. My vote would probably be for this one.

Ginger Kombucha:

Smells like ginger candy/citrus.

I found this mask had a cooling sensation the first few minutes after application. It felt very nice. This one seemed easier to get a thicker layer on while the dragon fruit seemed to slip more so it was more sheered out. It didn’t appear to dry my skin out which is a big plus. Again a bit of redness but that might be just me. I definitely want to try this one more to see how I feel about it after a few tries.

Thanks again!

@veronika23  Really so nice to see you posting again!!! Thanks for your feedback!!!! 

@veronika23. Congrats on the gratis and thanks for your review of the masks! Glad to hear from you!! Have missed you on the BIC!! 😍

Thank you to Sephora and Origins for the opportunity to try these news masks! I’ll be trying one today and will report back. 

Wow, haven't been on BT for a while....just popped in to say thanks to Sephora for sending me the Origins X Sephora gratis 🙂

The package only arrived here in Vancouver this morning, so I'll likely miss the poll unless I try the masks tonight. But from the sounds of others, I think I'm going to enjoy the ginger one more myself!

I received this as well but I've yet to try it.  I will do so when I get home and squeeze my thoughts in.  I have a sneaking suspicion I will prefer the Ginger Kombucha more judging my the reviews here and my own mask preferences but we'll see!

@michelleshops can't wait to hear what you think once you try!

I also received this mask duo, but unfortunately I can’t try them as they both contain ingredients I’m allergic to. They smell nice though!

Thanks Sephora and @Originsbeauty! How lovely to be a part of this sneak peek! I LOVE Origins and it's been so much fun to read everyone's thoughts! I received a slightly mangled box yesterday (thanks but no thanks UPS!) with these two lovely masks inside. They both smelled lovely, but I'm afraid my choice is predetermined as I'm allergic to dragonfruit. Womp Womp. Which is a shame because I love brightening masks, but between the dragonfruit and the vitamin-c (which I'm also sensitive too), this mask would be a breakout in a tube 🙂

The ginger kombucha mask smells DELICIOUS and left my skin clean without drying it out. I like how it didn't dry down completely (though I did put on a substantial layer) and washed off easily and cleanly. Refreshing to use, I would include this mask in my rotation as a pick-me up/maintenance mask in between the heavier, more powerful clay masks that actually dry down. Thanks origins!

**Last day to vote!**

I’ve tried both masks a couple times now, and I have to say that I’m fully and completely team Ginger Kombucha. 

Thoughts-Ginger:

The texture is wonderful. The smell is subtle but very nice - my nose picked up on the tea scent first, so it kindof gave the sense of chai latte, which I find very soothing as a scent. I use masks typically as step 2 in my routine (oils cleanse at night or rinse face in am, mask instead of second cleanse, toner if needed, rest of routine). The ginger mask rinsed off easily, and my skin looked slightly matte without feeling dried and seemed more even in tone. I didn’t notice any residue or interference with my other products. 

Thoughts-Dragonfruit:

I can’t decide if the walnut shells do nothing or are too harsh. The first time, they just sort of slid around and clumped together. The next try, I used more product and did the rinse step when I showered (more on that later), but it just felt a little scrubby but not really in a refreshing way as rice powder or diatomaceous earth-based scrub masks do. The scent was okay, but not remarkable. My biggest complaint is the film it leaves on my face. The first time, I used it in the same was as the ginger - as the second step in my routine. I’d already read @mermadelove’s face reaction post, so I was mindful of possible problems. First, it didn’t seem to emulsify and rinse like the ginger; I could see water gathering in droplets on my face like I had on something water-resistant or oil-based. I made sure to do my toning step, and it took three cotton rounds before it finally stopped picking up pink. (My face was not super happy about that, and I’m sure it negated whatever benefit the mask might have had.) So I decided to give it another go and do the shower rinse; I also used more product thinking that might help. I do think it rinsed better using more water, but my face still felt slightly slick afterwards, so I ended up using some cetaphil cleanser to clean my face. I probably won’t be using again unless origins can give some guidance as to what the residue it leaves is and what it’s meant to accomplish, since my skin can be pretty picky about what I leave on it as a treatment. 

Tl;dr: Ginger 👍🏻👍🏻; Dragonfruit 👎🏻👎🏻

@Susubee  Thanks for the voting reminder!!! *runs to instagram*

@Susubee thanks for SUCH a thorough review!

I'm thinking it is Ginger Kombucha for the win!!!!! @Originsbeauty

@Originsbeauty Fingers crossed for some ginger kombucha on Sephora shelves soon! 🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞

I had a chance to try both masks over the weekend as well! Thank you @Originsbeauty and Sephora it was really exciting to try them out!

I really liked the Ginger Kombucha one! I have dry skin so while I love a good detoxifying mask, especially in areas where I have bigger pores they can be drying in general for me. I really really liked that this mask did not totally dry down. It actually reminds me a bit of the Volition Detox mask which is one of my favorite masks! By not drying down I feel like the Ginger Kombucha detoxifies without totally drying out my skin - Creamy Detox masks are definitely better in my experience for those with dryer skin! The color and smell were good to me and I did feel like my pores and general t-zone area where I used the mask looked better after use. 

I also tried out the Dragon Fruit mask over the weekend! My skin has been extremely dry lately - I actually moved last weekend and leading up to the move my skin care routine  kind of fell off the wagon. You can't tell after one use what a mask is going to do over time in terms of long term brightening but after using this my skin felt more hydrated than before I used it and dragon fruit is a really interesting ingredient that I don't think I've seen in a lot of skin care. Like others mentioned the walnut shells make me nervous. They didn't feel overly scrubby to me but I'm not sure how I would feel about that overtime. 

Overall if I had to pick one mask I would pick the Ginger Kombucha one but both are masks I will definetely use again! 

Also, I know this isn't the final packaging but I really like the squeeze tube for a mask. The open jars always make me a bit nervous about germs and drying out 

@Kim888 thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!

275 Replies
testing