Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

Spring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights ๐Ÿ’ฎ

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

@elleb810  Haha! Yeah, I got a little hungry just reading off the ingredients - besides Salmon this also has garlic, rosemary, basil and a couple different kinds of fruit! ๐Ÿ˜‹

@Shosh85 Oooh what an interesting ingredient for the theme! Glad to hear it worked out for you!

@Kim888  It was great! It seems like skincare with the weirdest/oddest ingredients have always worked the best for me! 

@Shosh85, this is one of my favorite themes as well - I love seeing what odd or unique sheet masks are shared, especially the ones you find. Odd that the other version doesn't include alcohol but this one does. I wonder if it's because an ingredient or a series of ingredients in the other version somehow needs something like an alcohol as a preservative? Hmmm... ๐Ÿค”

@itsfi  Not sure if there's a "reason" for alcohol to be in this one, but when it comes to "soothing," alcohol is the last ingredient I think of. ๐Ÿค”

@Shosh85, yeah, I do think that many alcohols in skincare are drying and it doesn't make sense to include it in a sheet mask geared towards soothing. There's also good alcohols, though I suspect that is not the type that was included in the other salmon sheet mask. 

T is for Tardy as I meant to post these last week - S for Superfood, specifically olive / olive oil 

S - superfood - olive.jpg

I had one of these in my sheet mask rotation for the last few weeks, but just now getting around to posting my thoughts on how they perform on their own as well as in comparison to one another. 

Spoiler
Mask:Barulab OliveJLo Beauty That Limitless GlowLeaders Mediterranean Olive Brightening MaskWinner:
Claim(s):Moisturizing, nourishing and firmingVisibly tightens, firms and hydrates skin (not sure why "brightening" isn't included in the claim with the name of the mask being "That Limitless Glow"BrighteningOn just the claims alone, hard to pick a winner since I think it would depend on skin type. 
Material:100% vegan friendly, 100% natural plant-extract sheet 2-piece cotton with ear loopsCoconut Gel,  Bio-celluloseLeaders; the ear loops on the JLo masks were the best ones I've tried but I'm not a fan of them in general.
Where's the key ingredient (olive or olive-derived ingredients) on the INCI list?:10th (1,000ppm)Olive or olive- derived ingredients are listed as the 9th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 15th, and 18th ingredients.16th Just on where the ingredients fall on the INCI list alone (can't tell ppm of the JLo and Leaders masks), JLo mask
Adherence:GoodGoodGood3-way tie
Fit:Standard sheet mask fitLarger than standard sheet mask; adjustments neededGood; only minor adjustments to openings for eyes and mouth neededLeaders
Essence:clear, thin-ish, watery essence; lots of itlight, milky, lotion-seruminfused in the sheetJLo
Scent:Like a sheet maskSoft, barely noticeable scentLight, fresh3-way tie
Performance:FineWore comfortably, even the ear loopsWore wellTie: JLo + Leaders
Tack / Stickiness after 30 minutes of wear?:SlightNoneSlight stickinessJLo
Results:Skin looked fresh-faced, felt hydratedSoft, smooth, hydrated and nourished skin with a lit from within glow. Slight firmness / tight-ness to under eye areaSkin feels lightly moisturized and looks a little brighterJLo
Price:$2 or $18/$19 for pack of 10$18 or $48 for pack of 3$6 or $54 for pack of 10 (through Leaders site)Barulab for lowest price point (thought that doesn't tell the story). 
Repurchase?:NahYes, if on saleIf it were included in a variety pack, maybe, but probably not on its ownTie: JLo + Leaders, though there are conditions to the repurchase of each
Other Thoughts:For those interested, this mask is 100% vegan. This falls under "filler mask" category though I think there are better performing filler masks out there.Surprised that I liked this one as much as I do, though I am not at all sure why there's carmine in this mask.One of the better performing coconut gel, bio-cellulose masks out there, in that you can feel the serum on your skin. The acai version remains my favorite from the line.JLo
Overall Ranking:3rd1st2ndJLo

And the winner is . . . 

JLo Beauty That Limitless Glow Sheet Mask 

The battle of the olive masks goes to Team JLo. This is a spendy mask, at least for me. ๐Ÿ’ธ๐Ÿ’ธ๐Ÿ’ธ That alone doesn't mean it isn't repurchase-worthy; I'd consider picking up a pack of 3 during a sale, but I would probably save them for a special occasion or when I want to pamper my skin. Those with dry or very dry skin could be very happy with this mask. 

@itsfi 

Woah. Surprised that the JLO mask came out on tops. I have heard good things about her line so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

@elleb810, I was surprised as well. Also surprising is that my top 2 olive / olive oil sheet masks are this JLo one and the one in the Etude House 0.2mm Air Therapy range, with the latter's price point making it my first favorite. ๐Ÿ˜Š I've tried a couple of other JLo products - the serum which I picked up as a promo gwp and the moisturizer which I received as gratis. They're okay; of the two, I prefer the serum but as between those two and the sheet mask, it's the sheet mask.

Wow this was a surprising outcome, @itsfi! I guess I wasnโ€™t expecting much from the JLo mask but it sounds like it is definitely worth a try at some point. Thank you for this all-out duel!

Yeah @eshoe, going into it, I was not expecting the JLo mask to come out on top. It's worth trying, but I would recommend picking it up during a sale.

@itsfi sounds like I'll have to try the jlo mask at some point โ˜บ๏ธ

@lmaster, it's one worth trying. Not a must have, but a nice treat, especially if you can get it on sale. ๐Ÿ˜€

@itsfi  

I've wondered about the JLo products and the sheet mask. It sounds like a nice one for winter. 

@elleb810, it's one that could be great for all skin types in the winter - soothing and nourishing. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Great masking @itsfi ! The jlo one sounds like it would be very interesting to try out!!! But $18 is definitely pricey for a mask 

@Kim888, $18 is a bit steep for me for a sheet mask. Not saying this is a first in that price range for me or that I wonโ€™t pick up more in that ball park, but itโ€™s not an every day mask thatโ€™s for sure. ๐Ÿ˜† 

Love this comparison on the olive masks, @itsfi! I've got that JLo ready to deploy when my skin is needing some extra moisture this season. 

@quspork, that will be a perfect way to use the JLo. Will be interested to know your thoughts on it. I enjoy being able to compare masks, whether within a series or involving a common ingredient. It's a great way to see the differences.

@itsfi  Oooo great mash up!! Iโ€™ve got one of those jlo masks in my drawer canโ€™t wait to try it now!!!

Iโ€™m interested to know how the JLo mask performs for you @ather. I was surprised by how much I like it. Before using the mask, I had tried a couple of other products from her line - a DS of the serum which I picked up as a promo gwp and a full size moisturizer that I received as gratis; I thought the serum was fine and the moisturizer just okay, so I didnโ€™t go into using the mask initially with high expectations. The results are good; the price point is what really presents the biggest hurdle for me.

23 Replies
testing