Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

THE SWATCH REQUEST THREAD !

alright, here it is. use this thread to request swatches. the guidelines are up to you and your needs: single swatches, comparison swatches, specific skin tone swatches

when comparisons are requested, feel free to provide whatever you have of that request--i want anyone to participate and contribute if they want to. have fun, hope this is helpful !

Re: THE SWATCH REQUEST THREAD !

Yes @eshoe it’s this line. Good stuff! I like it! 

Stikscosmetiks. This is Code red but other great colors!This is Code red but other great colors!

Wow, what unique packaging and shaping, @Sunnysmom! Have you posted this on the Indie thread? These are really cool!

I don’t think so @eshoe unless someone else has! I will now 🙂 

@Sunnysmom Gorgeous!!! I just ordered and received a VisionAiry Gel Lipstick in Shizuka Red and it's outstanding! Incredibly pigmented with one-swipe full coverage but it glides on/melts on almost like a balm. It has that super smooth emollient feeling going on but without the shine, somewhere between a matte and satin finish. It's wearing nicely through half my day, minimal transfer! The packaging is also very lux feeling, it came sealed in a foil pouch for freshness! I'm super excited to try the rest of the line now. 

Sadly, I can't get the pics to upload, maybe later! 

Misspuff , do you feel the Shizuka Red is blue based , pink based , or orange based ? They call it a cranberry red , but on the models , it looks like a nice rust red color . I find the swatches on the models are not usually reliable . Nor ore most companies’ color descriptions. I look yucky in blue based and pink based reds . Wish I had a nearby place to swatch them myself. There are no Shiseido retailers within 100 miles of me .

@LipFeind Argh, I wrote a long post that BIC just ate...trying again 🙂

Shizuka Red is definitely a warm brown/rust red, not at all a blue or pink based red. I'm not sure why they call it a cranberry red, I'd describe it as a muted brown red and I think it's lovely. I've included some swatches below, one in sunlight, the other in my office. In the tube and on the swatch, it has a decidedly warm orange feel but turns terracotta rose (though still warm) on my lips. That's rather standard for me, Freckle Fiesta by Fenty is a burnt orange in the tube, pulls red orange once on. 

Swatches: Exotic Red, Shizuka Red, Bite Beauty Liquified Lip - Puree (glossy but not too far off from how Shizuka applies to my lips)

IMG_20180825_182723.jpgIMG_20180825_182732.jpg

ModernMatte is definitely a matte but still creamy formula. I find it quite comfortable and Exotic Red almost has a luminous quality to it (matte but somehow glowy?). The unique shape of the bullet makes application easy, glides on without tugging, definitely need to exfoliate my lips beforehand though (hello flakes!). Lasts at least several hours before a greasy meal took it down. I'll absolutely pick up another couple of this formula.

VisionAir Gel is a decidedly different formula, very emollient and balm-like application out of the tube, but great, opaque color coverage. One coat will do it, two coats deepens the color and it almost dries down to a matte (not satin) finish that is so light, it's like I'm not wearing anything. If you've ever tried the YSL Tatouge Lip Stain, it's got a similar feel (though totally not the same formula). Almost no transfer after the first blot. Definitely more muted than ModernMatte but I'm still quite loving it, will also purchase at least two more colors. Wear time is similar to modern matte, no stain. Two caveats - the lipstick is TINY (0.05 oz in a FULL SIZE!) and the completely round shape of the bullet is annoying to apply direct. Also, Sephora doesn't carry the full shade range so there are lots of beautiful colors visible on Shiseido direct not available on Sephora.

@MissPuff , do you happen to have KVD Studded Kiss in Misfit that you could swatch next to Shizuka Red ? I’m half tempted to order Shizuka Red and try it out . I’ve been eyeing Red Lantern from the Shiseido site . I’m scared many of their shades in Modernmatte and Visiaonairy will be too bright or too dark . May have to order Nightlife Modernmatte and tone it down with Shizuka Red on top . Decisions decisions. If only they’d do TRUE swatches and color descriptions with lipsticks. I’ve ordered so many base  don the swatches on the models and had to send them back , or worse , be stuck with a bad color . Glad Sephora has returns , but I don’t want to return too many and get in trouble 😂

@LipFeind Let me check when I get home, I only have a few KVD lipsticks so it's possible it's not in my collection...but I can't say for certain. I'll get back to you! 

It's always amazing to me how inaccurate some of the swatches are! Some are not even close and I always feel bad too buying a lipstick, swatching, then returning it. Seems like such a waste! But sometimes, it can't be helped! 🙂 

@MissPuff , You’re so AWESOME! Thank you ! I wonder if the lipsticks we return become testers . Makes sense . That way they don’t go to waste . I think I might just go ahead and order Nightlife and Shizuka Red and mix them . I never abuse return policies . It does warn here on the site that they can refuse returns if they feel we’ve “ abused the policy “ . I really do wish swatches were more accurate. I’ve seen one blogger wearing Ginza Red and it looks pretty accurate. Maybe I’ll get lucky . It figures I’d become obsessed with a brand new lipstick that not many people are swatching on the blogs yet 😂. Thanks again, you sweet angel 😊 PS , Swatches against something like MAC Chili or any other well known warm reds would be wonderful. I don’t have B.B. Purée , but always liked the color . I’d KILL to find a dupe for Lime Crime Pumpkin in the new Shiseido formulas . The LC Pumpkin color is my PERFECT color , but I hate the formula. Always my luck 😂

@LipFeind Swatches!!! So I DID have KVD Misfit! Shows up as much brighter/opaque warm red on my arm. Sadly, I couldn't find MAC Chili, it might have been purged (sacrilege!) during my last sweep 🙂

I refrained from lip swatches since my natural lip color is quite pigmented with a cool undertone (probably why all my orange lippies lean rose), so I don't think they'd help you as much 🙂 all the lip colors below (with the exception of Exotic Red) look much more similar to each other on my lips than the swatches would imply!

L-R: UD Epigram, Shiseido Shizuka Red, KVD Misfit, Colourpop Foolish, Gallop, Shiseido Exotic RedL-R: UD Epigram, Shiseido Shizuka Red, KVD Misfit, Colourpop Foolish, Gallop, Shiseido Exotic Red

@MissPuff ,,

You’ve made my DAY with these swatches !!!!! This is all I needed to see to know that Shizuka Red will like

work for me . The fact that the KVD Misfit looks so dark next to it helps me see that ShizRed will probably be lighter in color and not as vampy as Misfit on me . Believe it or not , I also have the issue of colors looking completely different on my lips compared to my arms , AND from the tube to my lips . A color can look like a vivid, warm red in the tube , but when applied to my lips , out come the pink/purple/fuscia or rose tones . Mac Chili looks rosey on me . I can’t be certain mine isn’t fake tho ( came from eBay . Smells like vanilla and feels high end . But I remember it looking more orange on me in the store ). I’ve ordered Shizuka Red , Lantern Red ( Visionairy) . And I also ordered Nightlife and Hyper Red in Modernmattes. Surely of those 4 , I’ll like at least one . I truly appreciate your help ! Please let me know if I can help you in any way too . Have a great day ! HUGE HUGS 🤗 

@MissPuff , 

WOW ! You’ve been so incredibly helpful! Thank you SO MUCH . Your swatches help me to see that Shizuka Red might be too dark for me . I’m a fair skinned redhead. I did notice that Shiseido offers more colors than Sephora. Based on your descriptions , I must have one of each formula. I received the Exotic Red Mini as a GWP . It looks like a purple/magenta shade on me . I’m in LOVE with the formula. It lasted through a popsicle and a night’s sleep on me last night ! I’m gonna attach a wrist swatch of the Exotic Red on my wrist . I’ll have Kat Von D Studded Kiss in Misfit on the left and Shiseido Modernmatte Exotic Red on the right . I must order these soon . I have a feeling they’ll sell out fast once people realize they are dream lipsticks. I truly appreciate your help ! I can’t thank you enough! Huge Hugs to you 🤗KVD Misfit on left , Shiseido Modernmatte Exotic Red on rightKVD Misfit on left , Shiseido Modernmatte Exotic Red on rightIndoor light , same swatches ( KVD Misfit left , Shiseido MM right )Indoor light , same swatches ( KVD Misfit left , Shiseido MM right )

@LipFeind Glad I could help! Based on how Exotic Red swatches on you, I'd guess that Shizuka Red would probably run a bit deeper/darker on you for sure. Could make for a stunning, mysterious fall lip color though! I am very impressed by the new formulas and the packaging, I hope you find colors you love!

Are you near a Nordstroms or Bloomies? They will probably have the collection out if not now, then soon!

@MissPuff , You’re right . Shizuka Red could be a nice sultry fall shade for me . It looks kinda like the KVD Misfit and that’s a nice shade on me . Wish Misfit was a tad redder and brighter tho . I have this weird undertone that cools even supposedly warm  colors down . For instance, Mac Chili has a very slight cool , purplish tone on me . Bite Beauty Crushed Chili also pulls slightly purple on me ( LOVE Amuse Bouche lipsticks). All of Besame lipsticks pull pinkish or purplish on me . Chocolate Kiss and Tango Red are the only ones that look true on me ( but Tango Red doesn’t suit me . I mix it with other shades to brighten them tho 😊) . Unfortunately, I’m nowhere near anywhere that carries the new Shiseido lipsticks. The closest one is 1.5 hours away ( Dillard’s ) . I may make the treck after first calling to make sure they have them. I thought I was in love with Besame , Bite Beauty, KVD and MAC til I found out how AMAZING the Shiseido Modernmatte are . Maybe I’ll just order a few shades and return them if they don’t work out . Both Sephora and Shiseido have free returns . Thanks again. Sorry for the long reply. I could go on and on about these lipsticks. I hope you find awesome colors you love as well . Big hugs 🤗 

Misspuff , how long did the Visionary lipstick last on your lips for the day ? Trying to decide between Visionairy and Modernmatte. Thanks 😊

@MissPuff Oh that’s awesome you got one! So pretty! I didn’t get one of those. I actually got to see all the lips, eyeliners, blush and multi eye lip too today in my Nordstrom! It’s amazing! Shadow sets not available to see yet. Those gel lips -wow what a cool light light weight but yes have pigment too! I love them all. The other lip pigment glossy hybrid one ( can’t remember name forgive!) was quite opaque also with a pretty sheen and not sticky. The blush was that super bouncy texture with pretty good color, not sure if my favorite but a lot of colors. Oh and the micro eye liner gel pencil was so cool- just glided on. All available to buy next Friday at Nordstrom I guess. -:)Again, I’m impressed. The line needed it and they sure pulled it off! 

@Sunnysmom Oh I didn't even THINK about stopping by Nordstroms! Brilliant idea, I wonder if mine will have them out, gotta make a trip over for sure. 

@MissPuff Yeah I hope yours does! Am sure so. Mine have habit of discreetly having the new testers on a counter in a little box so u may not notice em unless u ask but I now sleuth around! 🤣 

@Sunnysmom  Thanks for the tag!  Velvet Rope is gorgeous.  These are almost too pigmented for me, but I'm sure I'll give it a go. 🙂

@Ispend2much6 I don’t think you would think too pigmented if you saw in person but don’t know. Maybe you would like the gel one better. Def check them out. Colors were more muted in the gels I think. More like their old lip shades but still updated. Love! 

Could you see the pics? Wonder what’s up. 

@Sunnysmom  Yes, I can see those beautiful swatches!  I'm so used to wearing muted colors, even though a little flash would brighten up my face.  I need to get used to it.  If I look ghoulish, I'm sure someone in my house would tell me. 😉

1 Reply
testing