Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

Expired eyeshadow ok to uss?

Hello beauties! I have several eyeshadow palettes from pat McGrath and I was wondering if people had experience using the palettes after the expiration date? I just dont want to throw out the palettes after 2 years. PAT McGRATH LABS Mothership I Eyeshadow Palette - Subliminal PAT McGRATH LABS Mothership VIII Artistry Eyeshadow Palette - Divine Rose II Collection 10 x 0.047 oz/ 1.3 mL #mothershipIIIsubversive #nocturnal nirvana

Re: Expired eyeshadow ok to uss?

you also have the option to re-sale unwanted products *unexpired on Glou Beauty 

@LaAfroCholita --

Since the beauty community exploded, people have begun to confuse two things: expiration and going bad. These are 2 different things that affect makeup.

Expiration is a date set by the manufacturer, after which they will not guarantee full performance of the product as when it was fresh. That's what it means. It doesn't mean it is immediately unsafe to use, it means that under the average storage expected by the manufacturer, it may not perform "top of the line" anymore. In time, the formula becomes less effective. If kept extremely well (a dark, dry place that is cool room temp), makeup may perform very well long after the Exp. date. Most makeup, even natural makeup, has some mix of preservatives to keep it from becoming unsafe through normal daily usage. 

Going bad/getting spoiled is when bacteria gets into makeup, making it unhealthy to use. This can happen at any time, including the week you open it, though if you use clean hands & brushes, don't leave it out exposed to heat and light, avoid using it when ill, and occasionally clean your packaging and/or occasionally spray it with 91% alcohol, you can keep it from going bad a long long time. The advice of the others here is great, BTW. Just wanted to set this info as back-up, since people continually confuse exp. and going bad. Spoiled makeup might throw off the texture, it will likely smell bad, feel weird, have an odd taste, or sometimes change color.  If any of these changes happen, or it just feels off, toss it. 

Caveat: mascara lasts longer than three months for me, but it's still got more potential for problems, so should be replaced at least a few times per year. Anything that touches your mouth should be cleaned before being used on your eyes (I know you know!).

To really keep your makeup at its best for a longer life, don't leave it out or in clear organizers. Sunlight does a number on it. personally I keep my makeup in the original boxes, in dark storage units in a cool room. I have a blush that's almost 30 years old and still works perfectly! 

So should I get rid of the liquid foundation that I have had for 2.5+ years?

@LaAfroCholita If you love it but haven't used in a while, do a test patch on your arm, let it sit for a little while, long enough to see if there's an issue. I have foundations older, but it can start to separate and break down a bit. I wouldn't use it if it's separating. 

As @SportyGirly125 says, give it a sniff.

If it smells different, toss it. If it doesn't feel good going on in the patch test, toss. If you're afraid it might break you out, yeah, toss; your skin's health is worth more. But if passes the tests, you might get more use of it. 

@LaAfroCholita Does it look weird or smell bad?

@LaAfroCholita With eyeshadow palettes, I personally use the rule of thumb that I'll continue to use them--regardless of brand--even past their expiration dates as long as they're:

A.  Still performing well and maintaining the same payoff/performance as when I purchased the palette

B.  Not showing any signs of actually going bad (molding, developing an odd film, etc)

C.  Not causing any noticeable eye irritation

Other people may have a different opinion but that's pretty much how I view "expired" palettes

@LaAfroCholita 

I concur with @CookieGirl1!

Powders don't have the same draw that creamy products do for bacteria and other icky wildlife. If it still looks fine and smells fine and works fine, it's perfectly fine to use! You can always spritz them down with alcohol as well, if you are concerned with keeping them sanitary. 

7 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 45 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
testing