Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

Any tips on how to learn to apply eyeliner?

I've never been able to apply eye liner like a pro. The stroke was never consistent, and was always too thick, no matter how shape the pencil.
Now that I need glasses, it is even more difficult to apply eye liner that has a consistent, thin stroke. I just joined the Sephora community, and thought I'd see if there were any suggestions.
Thanks in advance!

Tags:

Re: Any tips on how to learn to apply eyeliner?

I hate saying it, but practice @Island632 ,

I love wing liner, but it was a few years before I really got it.  Also....I'm myopic, but have small lids and a astigmatism, so I feel your struggle.  I do it without glasses, but I'm SUPER close to my mirror 🤣 somedays.

I do something similar to what @JoSometimes does, which is work in steps.  If I use a felt liner, I also angle it on the side, since my eyes are almond shaped, I'll draw the line thin to thick.

Working backwards helps, like, do the slant, which is the wing, then draw the connecting line and then fill it in.

Also, I remember learning in a Sephora class you can correct mistakes with eye primer, especially if you get one that's close to your skin tone, so when one of the eyes was really off, instead of redoing it, I just used a little primer on a cotton swab.  Once I had my glasses on, you couldn't tell it wasn't perfect, it just looked like a wing.

Also edited to add Beautyblender Wing Man Curved Eyeliner Brush . 

You can practice by drawing a liner with a brush in shadow and go over.  This brush is angled, but has a nest little curve that makes it easier, in my opinion.

Also, welcome to BIC! 👋🏼👋🏼

Hi @Island632.

I have glasses too. I actually like having them on when I apply eyeliner and sometimes rest my pencil on top of my glasses to support the pencil. It’s totally ok to do your eyeliner in strokes. I always do that and then go back and try to connect them. I also like using a felt-tipped eyeliner. It’s kind of like a marker and feels more natural to me. 

Another trick you can try, especially if you want to do a wing is to use a light brown eyeshadow and an angled eyeshadow brush to map out your liner before fully committing by tracing with your actual eyeliner. If you make a mistake with the eyeshadow, it buffs off easily and you can try again. 

One other trick you can try is use a dark eyeshadow as your eyeliner and stamp it on with an angled brush. Then you can come back with the brush and smooth it all together. 

I like the idea of resting the eyeliner on the glasses! Thank you @JoSometimes !

I use makeup tape to help guide me @Island632 It takes a bit of trial and error but give yourself time and you'll get there 🩷

There are so many videos online,  I suggest looking for how-to videos that have eyeliner styles you want to try. And if it isn't working out try a different video. 

There's alot of sephora tutorials online to on thier channel 🙂

I hope this helps 🙏 💕 

SEPHORA COLLECTION Makeup Tape 

@CynthieLuI'd never heard of makeup tape! Thanks for your ideas!

The more you practice and experiment, the easier it will get @Island632 

I got the advice to practice new looks at the end of the day, before I wash my face in the evening.  It's a great time to practice 😃

@CynthieLu @I think I was the one that told you that’s what I do. 

Phew, I couldn't 100 % remember who said it.  Thank you! @SportyGirly125 It was great helpfull advice 🩷🩵

I still can't figure out the cut crease but I'm working on it and I know I'll get it eventually 😄

@CynthieLu @Have you tried using concealer to do it?  I have tried concealer or just using eyeliner. 

Thank you for the tip 😄 I'll give it a try 😊 My issue is that I have deep set eyes and a hood, so it's the placement that I'm struggling with. I tilt my head in alot of my photos just so my eyeliner wings are visible around my hood but the deep set makes the angles wierd, I'm getting better thou. It does take me awhile to figure out new techniques. I watched a few hood specific videos on it but it's difficult for me. I appreciate your suggestions 🙏 

@Island632 start off with kohl liner and draw little dots close to the lash line and connect them. Also you can use scotch tape at the outer edge if you need guidance for a wing. 

@SportyGirly125Interesting ideas! I'll give them a try. Thanks so much!

12 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 43 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing