Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: The Perfume Challenge

@Margalee I agree. The lasting power is what surprised me the most. I honestly don't have high hopes for celebrity perfumes, but the Cloud one is a great release. (Have not tried the others yet)

@QueenMarceline Wow! That bottle!

This is a fabuloussssss idea, kudos and I'm IN. I'll be going on vacation for the holidays so I'll have to plan accordingly, but I'm in 😛

Welcome, @QueenMarceline !  The more, the merrier as the saying goes! 💖💖💖

What a better time to try out some testers, old rollerballs, vials, etc. than when on vacation? They pack so nicely too. 😊

Today, I tried a sample of The 7 Virtues Santal Vanille Eau de Parfum 1.7 oz/ 50 mL 

My first impression was exotic spices traveling across the Silk Road...or maybe just the contents of my wooden box of incense. It's fitting for December, since it's reminding me of the three kings with their gold, frankincense, and myrrh--it turns out myrrh is one of the notes of this fragrance. Anyway, as the vanilla starts to develop, the scent turns slightly sweeter, like the most sophisticated spiced custard, before the sandalwood takes center stage.

It's a lovely fragrance, and I'm finding myself becoming drawn to cozy and spicy vanilla scents these days as the temperatures get colder and the nights longer. I definitely don't need another vanilla fragrance in my collection, so I think I'll pass on this one for now.

@txcatx Ooh this one sounds magical!

Today, I tried a sample of Maison Margiela Replica When the Rain Stops (I can't seem to find the product to tag, but I know it's available at Sephora because that's where I got the sample). Upon spraying, I got the impression of household cleaning spray. But as the scent began to settle, I got beachy, sea salt notes followed by a warm, rosy floral with a hint of bergamot. About at hour later, I was smelling more jasmine and citrus mixed with a bit of a woodsy note...and there was something that was vaguely reminding me of banana.

I like how Maison Margiela fragrances usually take me on a full journey. I love this particular scent when it leans more fruity floral with the rose and the bergamot a few minutes after spritzing, but I don't love the scent on me as it lingers and transforms throughout the day. 

Thanks for the review, @txcatx !  I looked for this at the Sephora in Kohl's on Friday, but didn't see it.  Now I'm not so disappointed!

I did finally get to try Autumn Vibes and remembered your review of that.  My ultimate takeaway was Musty Vibes. 😝

@Titian06 Yes! Autumn Vibes definitely smelled musty at first, but I liked it more on me as it settled throughout the day. 

Edit: I just looked back for my notes and remembered that's the one I thought smelled like an antique shop--yes, musty! 

Day 2 - Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium Eau de Parfum Extreme 1 oz/ 30 mL Eau De Parfum 

I received this perfume in a gratis box that included five different fragrances. And while all of the five are fantastic this is one of my top two fave of the bunch the other being (floral street: sunflower pop) I love warm scents and this ones on the spicy side and includes notes of vanilla and coffee. When spritzing it’s pretty strong at first which I actually tend to like but for those who worry I Out it being overpowering it dries down evenly to an even  balance and fades slightly so it’s not so overpowering. I would repurchase this when mine runs out though but I’ll likely go for a travel size as this makes for a great evening perfume  or at least that’s the impressions I get from it. And i don’t go to many evening events. Though I the bottle is also super cool in design. 

4E93F632-8F0D-42D3-B88E-A8BC4B7FA4E6.jpeg

@Margalee the Sol De Janeiro line of fragrances is fantastic. 

hi @Margalee unfortunately I have not tried anything from the direct site I didn't think to check it out.  i am not sure what they offer that might differ from sephora. for scented items by sol de janeiro i like a few things for body mists i only  62 and 71 as well, for perfumes I like the 62 as well (though I am not a  fan the cap the bottle it looks like a disco ball LOL) . I also like the scents in the skincare line I like bum bum cream, the foot cream, the hand cream and the hand sanitizer. they have a few that smell too powdery but i think those were in both pink and blue bottles if i recall. not the yellow ones. 

Hi all jumping i'm in to join this thread and am excited to join in the fun  ^_^  kicking off day 1 of my challenge (listing yesterdays perfume) i received this one as a gratis.  the Floral Street Sunflower Pop Eau De Parfum 1.7 oz/ 50 mL I LOVE this unexpected discovery that fell into my mailbox I wouldn't have thought to try this on my own. it makes me crave sparkling citrus beverages. which I'm a sucker for, to begin with. and upon first spritz, I wanted one immediately and became hooked on this fragrance. the other note in the perfume I picked up was the bergamot. which I think is a great ingredient in fragrances and flavoring notes of teas (earl gray for example). it for sure paired well with this one. hmm definitely still craving that citrus drink perhaps I'll go buy one.

IMG_3320 (8).jpg

Today, I tried Maison Margiela's REPLICA Matcha Meditation. At first whiff, I got jasmine and soap. As the fragrance began to settle, the white chocolate really started to appear, then the earthy matcha--it reminded me of a proper afternoon tea, complete with a three-tier tray of little sandwiches, scones and clotted cream, macarons, and tiny tarts. Finally, the scent rounds out with citrus and a little spice, like a warm cup of mulled wine. It's a cozy, lightly sweet scent, yet there are definitely tea and floral notes. 

This is very different than Le Labo's new matcha fragrance, which leans more masculine in my opinion. The Maison Margiela matcha scent is definitely more feminine, but I really like it. It's a Nordstrom exclusive, and it's currently on sale, so I bought a travel size bottle. 

Thanks for this excellent description. Especially re. Afternoon Tea & sandwiches..! Wonder if it has a decent wear-time?

@MvLL  I've always found that Maison Margiela fragrances last pretty long on me, and this one lasted on my wrist for at least half a day!

@Margalee The Perfumed Court has samples of Dirty Trick, Liquid Diamonds, and Sparkling Secret. 

2 Replies
testing