Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: The Perfume Challenge

Interesting description, @pocketvenus.  Sounds like the name is on the money.

@pocketvenus, I am glad you got to experience Bat.

It is like a work of art in a bottle - A little confusing at first, until you begin to understand it.

Thank you for your review!

@Vmaster, it's so weird but I want to keep trying it ha ha

A couple more fragrances from Libertine

• Eros Fig opens with a fantastic milky fig with a touch of green fig leaf that dries down rapidly to a soft and cozy sandalwood. I’m a huge fan of L’Artisan Parfumeur’s Premier Figuier and this is like a creamier, less woody version of an old favourite.
  • Smoked Bloom is a pretty osmanthus which I found very realistic, capturing the flower’s complex profile with hints of tartness, mellow honey and wine, all of which which is balanced well with a hint of smoke. This one dried down to a gentle sweet fruitiness. Easy and pleasant but not to my taste.

I love figs and will have to check this out. @pocketvenus

I love figs and will have to check this out. @pocketvenus

Re: I love figs and will have to check this out. @pocketvenus

@moxiepancakes, I think they have a sale going on right now 🙂 15% off

Re: I love figs and will have to check this out. @pocketvenus

That sampler set is calling my name. @pocketvenus 

@pocketvenus - Fig is something I've not tried before.  This one's going on my list to try.

@Titian06, if you are curious about fig perfumes, the reigning champions are L'Artisan P's Premier Figuier and Diptyque's Philosykos, both "authored" by Olivia Giacobetti. They are both worth checking out ❤️

@txcatx @Titian06 I have both the Diptyque and L'Artisan fig fragrances. Philosykos is dry sweet, powdery and soft with more fig fruit emphasis. Premier Figuier is warm sappy, green and much bolder, it smells like a fig tree in the sun before the fruit is fully ripe. I enjoy both and they are incredibly different interpretations of fig. 

@pocketvenus I love fig scents, including the Diptyque one, and now I'm going to have to check out the other ones. As always, I appreciate your fragrance knowledge and recommendations!

@txcatx, you are always welcome!! ❤️ There's a great blog called Bois de Jasmin and the author has a "fig" tag that should bring up other good recommendations 🙂

Tried Libertine's Sex & Jasmine. I think it's more aptly named Jasmine & Sex as it's sensual, but also subtle enough to wear in the day. Captures many facets of jasmine which is fantastic. At turns, it's a heady, clean, jasmine-tea, at other points you get hints of a silvery, indolic, moth-ball white floral, but mostly it's lush and even creamy with a touch of banana peel.

30ml_SexJasmine-Grande_5c06d05b-b891-41af-9e22-08bba800da16_800x

@pocketvenus - And with your NARS Orgasm lipstick and blush, you can either play some serious mind games with people or you're going to have a lot of explaining to do!  

@Titian06, ha ha ha! I don't have the Orgasm blush but I do use Torrid 😂

@pocketvenus - That'll work too!

Yesterday I tried Nicolai Patchouli Intense. Now, patchouli anything is not something I'd choose on my own as I don't really like it. At least not when it is a dominant note. So a perfume with this name could just scare me away. 😛 Anyway, I got this sample with one of my orders, so I was like, oh well, ok, why not, let's try it. The opening is soooo beautiful! Lavender, orange and geranium are just so beautifully mixed, the scent is simply intoxicating to me. ( Hubby loved it, too! ) Can't get enough of it. This lasts for half an hour or so, and then spices starts to show up. Patch and sandalwood, too. It is still fresh, spicy, slightly creamy, and just beautiful, with floral heart, and patch just barely there in the background. Then amber joins in. It is just a beautiful play of beautiful notes beautifully mixed that take you for a wonderful ride... until some time later when patchouli takes over the whole composition and ruins it for me. The dry down is all patchouli and vanilla on me. And it lasts forever. This is a beast from the very beginning. Projection is crazy. And the lasting power outstanding. 

@lyravega, this sounds like a good house, I should try it!

@pocketvenus It does! I definitely want to try more! 

@lyravega - What a let down; that's too bad!

I tried a few new scents today on paper as I didn't like any of them enough to skin test.

• Tom Ford's Beau de Jour is his latest "fougere." The lavender is fresh and gentle rather than astringent and medicinal while a soft amber further blurs the scent out. Not as light and fresh as I tend to imagine fougeres. Good projection/sillage.

• Tom Ford's Jasmine Musk is exactly what the name says. A clean, cashmere jasmine. Excellent projection though very safe and boring.

• Atelier Cologne's Pacific Lime is not the house’s best. A fresh and fruity-sweet scent that smells like drugstore shampoo. Generic. I don’t get much coconut. If you want a coconut lime scent, try Etat Libre’s Fils de Dieu.

• Jo Malone's Bronze Wood & Leather sounded like something I would like but I do not get much in the way of leather. The “bronze” effect is created with the brightness of grapefruit paired with a woody-amber drydown that seems to be trendy these days. Not my cup of tea.

@veronika23@Luvstravel, tagged since you both said you were curious about how Bronze Wood & Leather smells 🙂

testing