Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: 31 Days of Perfume Challenge

Oh goodness! 💕 'Nuff said...adding this gem to the list!!

Jan 27: Atelier Cologne Jasmin Angelique mini: I hate it the first time I wore it (couple month back). Today, it is far from favorite but I can detect the Jasmin (unlike the first time) it is quite pretty after the notes dried down a bit. Spoiler: while pull out all the perfume sample to get ready for my upcoming trip, I found a Tom Ford Ombré Leather '16 deluxe sample. It is quite leathery but I think I like it after sniffing a lil bit. I will wear it soon.

Day 12: BYREDO - 1996 (inez + vinoodh)

this one is special to me, and even though the notes are similar to a lot of my favorites, it's unlike anything i own. i'd say it has the personality of a young woman with an old soul....and i'm not just saying that because of the image below !!

it is indeed powdery--which isn't usually my thing--but it's a take on powder i've never experienced before. i think the powder comes from the mix of amber and violet, but what differentiates it is the juniper top note which zings it up. it lasts on me all day and on my clothes for forever. it is very strong. i mayyyyybe got overindulgent when i first got it and made a stranger sneeze on an elevator (that was my fault, not the perfume's).

i encourage anyone to try this one if they get a chance, particularly people who don't typically like powder. it's fun to be challenged and have our opinions flipped upside down every now and then 🙂

top notes: juniper

middle: violet, iris

base: leather, amber, patchouli 

i won't geek out and go too much into the history of the fragrance, but it was inspired by this photograph by inez + vinoodh (in 1996). and i think that speaks for itself !

Kirsten-1996-Byredo-Inez-and-Vinoodh.jpg

previous days in spoiler

Spoiler
DIPTYQUE - tam dao EDT
TOCCA - colette
ISSEY MIYAKE - l'eau d'issey EDT
TOM FORD - santal blush
DEMETER - green tea
KEROSENE - blackmail EDP 
JO MALONE - dark amber & ginger lily cologne
ETAT LIBRE d'ORANGE - dangerous complicity
DIPTYQUE - philosykos EDT
DEMETER - tomato 
DIPTYQUE - eau duelle EDP

Day 27: Chanel Coco Mademoiselle 

Notes: orange, mandarin orange, orange blossom, bergamot, mimosa, jasmine, turkish rose, ylang-ylang, tonka bean, patchouli, opoponax, vanilla, vetiver, white musk.

I've had my bottle for awhile, and I should wear it more often. On my skin it smells somewhat similar to Miss Dior. The staying power is long with this perfume, and a little goes a long way! 🙂

Day 27: Maison Margiela Lipstick On

Ugh, i really didn't like this! If I have learned anything from this challenge, it's that I don't do florals. This smells like baby powder mixed with a field of daisies to me. And the patchouli comes through as it fades and makes it worse! I know a lot of people love MM frangrances, but aside from "by the fireplace" i can't with their scents.

Day 27:  Atelier Cologne – Orange Sanguine

Notes:  Blood Orange, Bitter Orange, Jasmine, Geranium, Amber Woods, Tonka Beans, Sandalwood

I wore an orange sweater with orange lipstick and orange blush.  What better than an orange perfume?

Compiled

Spoiler

Day 26:  Givenchy – Dahlia Divin

Day 25:  Nest – Indigo

Day 24:  Atelier Cologne – Mandarine Glaciale

Day 23:  Atelier Cologne – Cedrat Enivrant

Day 22:  Versace – Eros Pour Femme (EDP)

Day 21:  Elizabeth & James – Nirvana Black

Day 20:  Giorgio Armani – Acqua di Gioia

Day 19:  Nest – Citrine

Day 18:  Nest – Midnight Fleur

Day 17:  Nest – Dahlia & Vines

Day 16:  John Varvatos – Artisan Acqua

Day 15:  Versace - Dylan Blue

Day 14:  Marc Jacobs - Daisy

Day 13:  Atelier Cologne – Figuier Ardent

Day 12:  Acqua Di Gio Pour Homme

Day 11:  Cartier – Vetiver Bleu

Day 10:  Atelier Cologne - Sud Magnolia

Day 9:  Dolce & Gabbana – Light Blue

Day 8:  Escada – Joyful

Day 7:  Escada – Born in Paradise

Day 6:  Moschino – Moschino Fresh Couture

Day 5:  Chanel - No. 5 L'eau

Day 4:  Elizabeth & James - Nirvana Bourbon

Day 3:  YSL - Black Opium

Day 2:  Pacifica - Tunisian Jasmine Lime

Day 1:  Juliette Has a Gun - Not a Perfume

Day 27: Atelier Cologne Vanille Insensee to mask MM Lazy Sunday Morning.

I first put on Lazy Sunday Morning because I have a sample vial, and it smelled alright initially. Then, it turned on me. I smelled old people. I'm making a face just thinking about it. Old people are fine, don't get me wrong, but sometimes they definitely have a... smell to them. I think it's the musk. But bad musk. Musk that turns in to must. I needed to think quickly!

So I think... Who has the strongest, longest lasting fragrances? Atelier. Which of my Atelier's would mask this the best. Vanille Insensee. And thank goodness I was right. I love this one. It's so unique. The oak and spice combined with the vanilla reminds me of a dark aged rum, without the burn of alcohol. It isn't sweet or overpowering, I think it's perfect for a man or a woman. It's "I'm attracted to you, but I don't know why" intriguing. 

Spoiler
Day 1: Alien by Muglar (eh)
Day 2: Estee Lauder Modern Muse Chic (yay!)
Day 3: Atelier Orange Sanguine (yay!)
Day 4: D&G Dolce (yay!)
Day 5: Pinrose Merry Maker (yay!)
Day 6: TokyoMilk Dark Pretty Rotten 33 (no)
Day 7: Fresh snow and a frozen nose
Day 8: Lavender and Peppermint Essential Oils
Day 9: YSL Mon Paris (yay!)
Day 10: Marc Jacobs Daisy Dream (eh)
Day 11: British TV shows
Day 12: Lancôme La Vie Est Belle (yay!)
Day 13: Pinrose Tambourine Dreamer (yay!)
Day 14: Balenciaga B. Skin (double yay!)
Day 15: Pinrose Secret Genius (yay!)
Day 16: Pinrose Pinrose + Secret Genius (yay!)
Day 17: Jose Maran Joy/Sweet Holly (yay!)
Day 18: Chloe Eau du Parfum (yay!)
Day 19: Dior J'adore (yay!)
Day 20: YSL Black Opium (yay!)
Day 21: Elizabeth and James Nivana White (double yay!)
Day 22: Nothing
Day 23: Marc Jacobs Dot (eh)
Day 24: Versace Eros Pour Femme EDP (no, unfortunately)
Day 25: BVLGARI Omnia Paraiba (eh)
Day 26: Commodity Mimosa (double yay!)

Day 27: Olympea by Paco Rabanne.

Notes: Vanilla, floral, sandalwood, salt.

This is the third time this month I've worn this fragrance.  I guess I'm just really feeling it.

Day 26 Juliette has a gun Not A Perfume, I like it on me! 

Day 27 Tom Ford Soleil Blanc... yup it's still my all time favourite! I held out this long testing others but nothing compares and lifts my spirits as much so I broke down after 27 days... not bad! Mmmm I smell so freakin great! It's going to be a good day! 

Tom Ford Soleil Blanc is on my to buy list. Some ppl think it smells liked sun screen but I don't smell that. 😉

I understand what people say by sunscreen, but it definitely does not, the sales lady was telling me Tom Ford created it to smell like a tropical vacation at his beach house or some story like that, I was sold! Haha @blackkitty2014

Day 27 - Tocca, Emilia

Notes:  Geranium, Magnolia Leaves

Quite floral.  I smell more Magnolia than geranium.  Doesn't seem to last long on me.  It's 5 hours after I put it on and I have to really sniff my wrist for anything. 

Day 27: Atelier Cologne Orange Sanguine And Vanille Insensée. Since I wore a perfume yesterday that I had worn before during this challenge, I'm doubling up with the creamsicle duo! I kind of like it, though the vanilla is definitely stronger than the orange. 

Orange Sanguine Notes:
Blood Orange, Bitter Orange, Jasmine, Geranium, Amber Woods, Tonka Beans, Sandalwood.

Vanille Insensée Notes:
Lime, Cedrat, Coriander, Jasmine, Vetiver, Oak Moss, Vanilla, Oak Wood, Amber.

Day 27: Derek Lam 10 Crosby Afloat

My notes - This might be the most boring perfume I've ever worn.  I had to reapply just to remember what it smelled like.  I get cucumber and a general freshness but it's hard to describe since I keep passing out from perfume boredom.  

Real notes - White Mimosa, Orris.

Day 27Like This by Etat Libre d'Orange

Complete scrubber. On me, some kind of animalic that quickly turned to something sour, rank...foul.

Looking at the notes, I don't get it but...did not like.

Notes: Yellow mandarin, ginger, pumpkin accord, immortelle, Moroccan neroli, rose de Grasse, vetiver, heliotrope, and musk

GARDENIAEAUDETOILETTE.jpg

Day 26Penhalgion's Anthology Gardenia

So I went in blind on this one, because the vial was only labeled "Penhalgion Anthology" Was surprised when I smelled the gardenia (having just rejected Chanel's Gardenia for that day because I wasn't in the mood).

I didn't keep this one on very long - not because it was bad or unpleasant, it just didn't suit my mood. It really reminded me of the gardenia perfume one of my sisters used to wear. There was a light fruit to it - would have guessed plum, but it's likely the rhubarb. Very pretty. Would wear/try again in sunnier/warmer weather :).

Ended up washing it off and putting Ombre Leather over it :x

Notes: Violet, Rhubarb, Bergamot, Hyacinth, Magnolia, Green leaves, Gardenia, Rose, Ylang ylang, Orange Blossom, Tuberose, Jasmine, Clove, Cinnamon, Lily of the Valley, Benzoin, Sandalwood, Musk, Vanilla

Spoiler
Keeping running tally so that I won't repeat!
Day 25Fumerie Turque by Serge Lutens
Day 24Vert Boheme by Tom Ford
Day 23Sidi Bel-Abbes by Serge Lutens
Day 22Black Orchid by Tom Ford
Day 21Dangerous Complicity by Etat Libre d'Orange
Day 20: Plum Japonais by Tom Ford
Day 19: Rahat Loukoum by Serge Lutens
Day 18: Oud Wood by Tom Ford
Day 17: Rahat Loukoum by Serge Lutens
Day 16: Soul of the Forest by Maison Margiela
Day 15: Ombre Indigo by Olfactive Studio
Day 14: Eau de Sens by Diptyque
Day 13: Honey Oud by Floris
Day 12: Panorama by Olfactive Studio
Day 11: PHI Une Rose de Kandahar by Tauer
Day 10: Jasmin et Cigarette by Etat Libre d'Orange
Day 9: Chance EDP by Chanel
Day 8: Missed - "Eau de me" :x
Day 7: Ombre Leather by Tom Ford
Day 6: Straight to Heaven By Killian
Day 5: Bapteme du Feu by Serge Lutens
Day 4: Fir Balsam by L'Antichambre
Day 3: Borneo 1834 by Serge Lutens
Day 2
: Maison Margiela Replica Dancing on the Moon
Day 1: Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford   

Day 26 - Fresh Brown Sugar - one of my favorites

Day 27 - Pinrose Campfire Rebel - I like it, I think? I have a few more sample wipes of it so I think I'll wear it again but I don't think I would purchase it. I would like a little smidge more vanilla or sweetness to balance out the smoky notes. 

Day 26: Vive La Juicy on one wrist and Tory Burch on the other. Vive La Juicy smells overwhelmingly plastic on me, and the Tory Burch is just meh. I'm still waiting to discover something I love!

I haven't posted in a few days because a snow plow crashed into my car on my way to work.  Mostly I've been dealing with insurance and doctors with little time for relaxing online time.  😞

Day 26: Deep Euphoria by Calvin Klein.

This one starts off with a rosey fresh smell, but it quickly takes on this sickly syrupy flower note that smells very unpleasant on me.  When I spray it on a paper, I can't smell it, so I can only assume this is one of those times where the perfume itself is nice to smell.... on someone else.

It seems to dry down really fast on me.  There is noticeable patchouli at the end.  I can't smell this at all on me after two hours.

I don't think I'll finish the sample vial, but at least the people at work always benefit from fragrance samples I'm not fond of.

@ghrelin I'm so sorry to hear that you were in a car accident! My complete empathy - I'm still dealing with doctors,  insurance, and the pain of one my fiance and I were in 2 years ago. I hope that you have a swift recovery 🙂

@Libellules  Thank you so much and I'm sorry to hear you've had to deal with this kind of hassle yourself.  I hope you're able to get past this!  

@ghrelin - I'm so sorry you were in an accident!  I hope you feel better soon!

testing