Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: 31 Days of Perfume Challenge

@Titian06 @alexasteph If I had to only ever wear one brand of perfume, it would be this brand. A while back they had a 10 pc sampler set. I ordered it and fell in love with half of it.

@Samtian - That's great to know!  This one is a 10 piece sampler called Histoires de Parfums Discovery Set.  It appears to have one of each in it.

Thats the one I probably bought.

Ooh these both sound incredible! I'm not overly familiar with these fragrances, but since you've posted a few of them, they've piqued my interest. 

Day 25 Atelier Cologne Sud Magnolia (promo size spray) I remember redeeming this because I had a sample vial I liked and wanted more but not enough to buy it. Long story short I do not like this anymore 😕 

Day 25: Maison Margiela Replica Lazy Sunday Morning

Notes:
Aldehydes, Pear, Lily of the Valley, Iris, Rose Absolue, Orange Flower, White Musk, Indian Patchouli Oil, Ambrette Seeds Absolute.

http://www.sephora.com/replica-lazy-sunday-morning-P385354?skuId=1602275&icid2=products%20grid:p3853...

I really like this scent! It feels very comforting when I have it on. It's not a very in your face type of scent but it is very nice and it leaves you wanting to keep catching whiffs of it. 

Spoiler

Day 24: Royale Ambree Eau de Cologne by Legrain

Day 23: Aerin Amber Musk

Day 22: Maison Margiela Replica Flower Market

Day 21: Stella McCartney POP

Day 20: Viktor and Rolf Flowerbomb

Day 19: Burberry My Burberry

Day 18: Christian Louboutin Tornade Blonde

Day 17: Carven Le Parfum (LOVE)

Day 16: Tory Burch

Day 15: Bvlgari Omnia Crystalline

Day 14: Angel by Thierry Mugler

Day 13: Tom Ford Velvet Orchid

Day 12: Atelier Cologne Collection Azur Sud Magnolia

Day 11: Marc Jacobs Daisy

Day 10: Juicy Couture Viva La Juicy Noir

Day 9: Burberry Brit Sheer

Day 8: Elizabeth and James Nirvana Black and White

Day 7: Stella by Stella McCartney

Day 6: Miss Dior Absolutely Blooming

Day 5: Flower by Kenzo

Day 4: Maison Margiela Replica Lipstick On

Day 3: Commodity Gold (LOVE)

Day 2: Moschino Fresh Couture

Day 1: YSL Black Opium

I was inspired to search through the sample vials and found a couple of these. The notes in it are interesting to me and I'm definitely going to try it out. Some of the MM scents seem a little odd to me, but I don't know if I've given them a fair shot. 

I agree with you on some of their scents being a little odd. I was hoping to like Beach Walk since it seems to be very popular but it just did not agree with me. Definitely trial and error with this brand, but the wins are big wins! 

I checked out Beach Walk because so many people seem to love it too, and it definitely smells like a day the beach, but how you smell after you've been at the beach and are dirty and sweaty... Ew. The salt, the sunscreen, the BO... It's all there haha. 

LOL yes! That's how I felt too...so not paying that much money to smell like that 😛

Day Twenty-Five: By Kilian's Incense Oud

More wearable than Pure Oud - the opening is bright, aromatic and spicy, even touch sour for a brief moment. The smoky/woody dry down feels rich/dense but it's never weighed down. It gives the impression of being smooth and elegant despite its smokiness.

Day 25: Dior J' adore 

Notes: Ylang- Ylang Essence, Damascena Rose Essence, Sambac Jasmine Absolute

I've had my bottle for awhile, though I do not reach for it often. It smells nice, just not one of my favorites.

Mmm, one of my faves. I don't reach for it enough either. 

Day 25: BVLGARI Omnia Paraiba

I found a sample vial of this and decided to try it today. I like it, it's definitely very fresh and dries down to a lovely musk, but it's not wowing me or unique enough to persuade me to purchase it in full size. There are too many others I prefer. 

Spoiler
Day 1: Alien by Muglar (eh)
Day 2: Estee Lauder Modern Muse Chic (yay!)
Day 3: Atelier Orange Sanguine (yay!)
Day 4: D&G Dolce (yay!)
Day 5: Pinrose Merry Maker (yay!)
Day 6: TokyoMilk Dark Pretty Rotten 33 (no)
Day 7: Fresh snow and a frozen nose
Day 8: Lavender and Peppermint Essential Oils
Day 9: YSL Mon Paris (yay!)
Day 10: Marc Jacobs Daisy Dream (eh)
Day 11: British TV shows
Day 12: Lancôme La Vie Est Belle (yay!)
Day 13: Pinrose Tambourine Dreamer (yay!)
Day 14: Balenciaga B. Skin (double yay!)
Day 15: Pinrose Secret Genius (yay!)
Day 16: Pinrose Pinrose + Secret Genius (yay!)
Day 17: Jose Maran Joy/Sweet Holly (yay!)
Day 18: Chloe Eau du Parfum (yay!)
Day 19: Dior J'adore (yay!)
Day 20: YSL Black Opium (yay!)
Day 21: Elizabeth and James Nivana White (double yay!)
Day 22: Nothing
Day 23: Marc Jacobs Dot (eh)
Day 24: Versace Eros Pour Femme EDP (no, unfortunately) 

Day 25: Amouage Journey Woman. This one doesn't have any rose, sandalwood, oud or incense notes, unlike most other Amouages. It still shares the plush and creamy glow that comes from the thoughtful mix of high quality ingredients. I get the apricot, tea, mimosa and honey. Maybe a bit of saffron and vanilla. It is not too sweet. I find it really beautiful.

Top: Apricot, Jasmine Tea, Osmanthus, Nutmeg, Cardamom

Heart: Jasmine Sambac, Mimosa, Honey, Cedarwood

Base: Pipe Tobacco, Saffron, Vanilla, Cypriol, Musk.

This sounds lovely...

@pocketvenus it really is 💕 I am overall very impressed with the perfumes in the Amouage sampler set.

Day 25:  Nest – Indigo

Notes:  Moroccan Tea, Kashmir Wood, Cardamom, Wild Fig

Spoiler

Day 24:  Atelier Cologne – Mandarine Glaciale

Day 23:  Atelier Cologne – Cedrat Enivrant

Day 22:  Versace – Eros Pour Femme (EDP)

Day 21:  Elizabeth & James – Nirvana Black

Day 20:  Giorgio Armani – Acqua di Gioia

Day 19:  Nest – Citrine

Day 18:  Nest – Midnight Fleur

Day 17:  Nest – Dahlia & Vines

Day 16:  John Varvatos – Artisan Acqua

Day 15:  Versace - Dylan Blue

Day 14:  Marc Jacobs - Daisy

Day 13:  Atelier Cologne – Figuier Ardent

Day 12:  Acqua Di Gio Pour Homme

Day 11:  Cartier – Vetiver Bleu

Day 10:  Atelier Cologne - Sud Magnolia

Day 9:  Dolce & Gabbana – Light Blue

Day 8:  Escada – Joyful

Day 7:  Escada – Born in Paradise

Day 6:  Moschino – Moschino Fresh Couture

Day 5:  Chanel - No. 5 L'eau

Day 4:  Elizabeth & James - Nirvana Bourbon

Day 3:  YSL - Black Opium

Day 2:  Pacifica - Tunisian Jasmine Lime

Day 1:  Juliette Has a Gun - Not a Perfume

Day 10: Demeter - Tomato

i smell of a tomato ! and it's fantastic.

notes: tomato leaf, tomato.

this is a very green scent, obviously. the tomato leaf is most prominent. it's not juicy, actually quite dry with a bit of herbally spice.

i can't ever explain to anyone why this is appealing, why they should give a chance. if you like green and / or herbal fragrances, this one may surprise you.

previous days in spoiler

Spoiler
DIPTYQUE - tam dao EDT
TOCCA - colette
ISSEY MIYAKE - l'eau d'issey EDT
TOM FORD - santal blush
DEMETER - green tea
KEROSENE - blackmail EDP 
JO MALONE - dark amber & ginger lily cologne
ETAT LIBRE d'ORANGE - dangerous complicity
DIPTYQUE - philosykos EDT

Jan 25: Gucci Guilty EDT sample vial: I quite like this but I think my favorite from Gucci is still the Floral line.

PS: I love this thread. It is super helpful to know what kind of sample vials or minis I want to pack on my coming trip. 😉

Day 25: I really want to blast through my remaining samples, so I've tried two today so far. Atelier Mandarine Glaciale and Pomélo Paradis. Both smelled decent upon application. The Pomélo had a very cool, almost minty note in it. Within ten minutes though, they both became very bitter on my skin. One wrist smells like orange pith and moldy caramel, and the other smells like grapefruit skin that's been sitting in your compost heap a little too long.

4,022 Replies
testing