Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: 31 Days of Perfume Challenge

I tried a vial of this and it's soooooo nice!   This thread is going to make me buy perfume.  At the end of this challenge I think I may give my vials away and buy two bottles to replace them:) 

@JennVA I've been wanting to try this. Does it smell more vanilla or more floral to you? I read one review that said it smelled like Play Dough haha! But I know what they meant. Some vanillas with almond turn into Play Dough on me, but I see no almond in this. 

@pixiedust2 It's a sweet vanilla on me with a hint of jasmine, more gourmand than floral to my nose. I don't get play dough at all!

Day 9: Tom Ford Orchid Soleil. I received a sample of this, and sadly it does not work with my chemistry. 😞

Notes: Tuberose Petals, Black Orchid, Headspace, Spider Lily Orchid, Vanilla, Chestnut, Cream Accord, Patchouli

It didn't work for me either - I recall it being overpoweringly creamy/stuffy and sweet on my skin.

I always want to like this one when I sample it in store, but I don't think it's for me either. 

Yes, me too! Every time I smell it (and to be honest, see the gorgeous freakin bottle its in) I want to love it sooooooo bad so I can justify buying the beautiful bottle for my vanity. Its one of those ones that I like aspects of but I just don't love the overall experience I get from it. I keep going back for samples hoping that somehow my chemistry will change, the clouds will part and i will love it, but alas this hasn't happened  yet 😞

This one didn't work for me either, @angel7594!

It was too milky on me. I smelled like I had a floral perfume on, then spilled a warm, frothy glass of milk all over myself. yucky.

@k617, It smells like sour milk mixed with patchouli on me. I had to wash it off after 15 minutes, as it was getting more rancid by the minute, lol.

Day 9:  Nirvana Rose by Elizabeth and James.

I REALLY like this perfume.  I love the woody, bourbon, cedar scent that's lightly touched with rose.  I feel like it's an extension of Nirvana Bourbon but with less vanilla and more rose.  I really love both of them, honestly.  Eventually I'd love to get a full size of both, I just have to get through some of what I have already first!

Me again!

Day 7 - MMM By The Fireplace

My notes: Sweet Nibblets this is wonderful. I've always wanted a fireplace so maybe this can placate that urge for a while 😉

Real notes - Pink Pepper, Orange Flower Petals, Clove Oil, Chestnut Accord, Gaïac Wood Oil, Cade Oil, Vanilla Accord, Peru Balsam, Cashmeran.

Day 8 - Nada, forgot to spray before heading out for the day.

Day 9 - Atelier Cologne Vanille Intensee

My notes - for some bizarre reason, this reminds me of middle school science class.  Vanilla-y but not sugary sweet.  Something citrusy and/or green? ❤️ it

Real notes - Lime, Cedrat, Coriander, Jasmine, Vetiver, Oak Moss, Vanilla, Oak Wood, Amber.

Ohhh the Atelier sounds good! I love vanilla that isn't sickening or sweet, and I am obsessed with scents that have a hint of green/freshness to them. Awesome description, I'm going to have to check this out!

Wow that sounds so comfortable and cozy!

I have a sample of By the Fireplace and really like it! I smelled like delicious chestnut candy.

MMM By the Fireplace is one of my favorites 😄

S126520_XLARGE.jpg

Day 9: Chance EDP by Chanel. (Specifically the amber liquid in the pink box). This was my signature scent for close to 10 years, and I don't think I have reached for it a single time in the last year and a half! I have a very important meeting today, and needed something that would pass in a professional setting (and I've already worn 2 out of my 3 go-to's in this challenge ;)) - so I brought this one out today. I've never really been able to analyze this one - the notes were never super distinct to me before, and it always seemed to dry down on me to the point that I could never smell it (but other's still could - and it always garnered compliments)!

I guess my nose is better trained, as I'm picking up on jasmine and a light citrus, balanced nicely by the patchouli.

Notes:

Pink pepper, jasmine, patchouli, vanilla, white musk

I used to wear the EDT and always found it to be *different* rather than simply a diluted version of the EDP. Looking at the notes now - it looks like I'm right! The EDT is a bit more complex, with notes of pineapple :).

Day 8: Missed! I was totally lazy and didn't leave the house, didn't put on anything :x.

Spoiler
Keeping running tally so that I won't repeat!
Day 7: Ombre Leather by Tom Ford
Day 6: Straight to Heaven By Killian
Day 5: Bapteme du Feu by Serge Lutens
Day 4: Fir Balsam by L'Antichambre
Day 3: Borneo 1834 by Serge Lutens
Day 2
: Maison Margiela Replica Dancing on the Moon
Day 1: Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford 

I missed the last few days due to sick kids and headaches, so coming back in with Day 9: Roses de Chloë. I like this one, but I wouldn't buy it. There's a warmth underneath the rose scent, so it's not straight up floral. 

Day 9:  La Vanilla - Vanilla Coconut

mmmmmm 🙂

Day 8: Nest Citrine - kind of strong at first but loved it after a few hours!

Day 7: eau de me

Eau de me! I wish I'd seen this before i posted for Day 8. Perfect!

Day 9

Derek Lam 10 Crosby - Looking Glass

Notes: Chinese Magnolia, Tonka Bean Madagascar

@WhereYouStand  I have a sample vial of this in my work locker waiting for me to show it more love.  It's a nice scent but I always forget I have it!

testing