Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Olaplex and Ouai disappointed with my findings

I have this app Yuka and I scanned the products that I have invested so much money in and for Olaplex and Ouai I was shocked I am so disappointed and I am disgusted I have olaplex 3 too but can’t find it to scan it I want to scan all my beauty products right now… especially ones that I’ve bought and spent money on. 

6286DBB4-BF23-4E24-BFDB-AF1C72F45336.png

D39C9765-8F54-47CA-BB45-A38CD7452A04.png

1160E724-C8D0-4E8D-95E9-87C2ABA8C945.png

Re: Olaplex and Ouai disappointed with my findings

I use YUKA as well and it's certainly changed how I shop. It's extremely difficult to find a "100" product on the app (Cocokind's MyMatcha moisturizing stick is one) for makeup or skincare, but definitely worth it for comparisons. Anything under 25 is a hard no for me, and I always look at the bottom of the entry after I scan to see similar products with higher ratings. 

@steffypoox3 - I use INCI Decoder.  It doesn't provide a stoplight list; it explains each ingredient and will point out a particularly good or bad ingredient.  For example, below is what INCI Decoder says about Phenoxyethanol, which your app says is a moderate risk, but doesn't say why.  According to the info below, it is safe when used below 1%.  Since it's listed near the end of ingredients, only a fraction of that is used.  Ingredients are listed in order of amount used--first ingredient = most amount; last ingredient = least amount.

WHAT-IT-DOES: preservative

It’s pretty much the current IT-preservative. It’s safe and gentle, but even more importantly, it’s not a feared-by-everyone-mostly-without-scientific-reason paraben.

It’s not something new: it was introduced around 1950 and today it can be used up to 1% worldwide. It can be found in nature - in green tea - but the version used in cosmetics is synthetic. 

Expand to read more

Other than having a good safety profile and being quite gentle to the skin it has some other advantages too. It can be used in many types of formulations as it has great thermal stability (can be heated up to 85°C) and works on a wide range of pH levels (ph 3-10). 

It’s often used together with ethylhexylglycerin as it nicely improves the preservative activity of phenoxyethanol.

@steffypoox3 Remember that some ingredients are used in very specific combinations and in very specific amounts.  I'm sure that if we googled what's in some of the food we eat, we'd likely be even more upset.  I implore you to do more research than simply googling a name before deciding if something is for you or not. 

3 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 8 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
Photos3
  • 6286DBB4-BF23-4E24-BFDB-AF1C72F45336.png
  • D39C9765-8F54-47CA-BB45-A38CD7452A04.png
  • 1160E724-C8D0-4E8D-95E9-87C2ABA8C945.png
testing