Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Drybar Double Shot AKA The Hair Styling Gamechanger

Good hair days are on the horizon! If you want to know how I gave myself an at-home Drybar blowout in 25 minutes I suggest you continue reading, but be warned... Some serious enabling may take place in this post.   

In case you haven’t been stalking their Instagram like me, you may not know that Drybar is launching a new styling tool which is both a hybrid of their existing tools, yet at the same time, unlike else anything they currently offer. This all-in-one is appropriately named the Double Shot Blow-Dry Brush and we were lucky enough to be among some of the first beauty lovers to take this baby for a spin! 

Drybar Double Shot Tool_Use.png

If you are a blow-drying pro, kiss your tedious, dual-handed blow-drying technique buh-baiii! My “old school” blow-dry routine makes me feel like those miserable humans you see in infomercials: grabbing a piece of hair, then my brush, then my blow-dryer, drying my hair, setting everything down, switching my blow-dryer off to grab another piece of hair, then it falls on the ground right onto my toe... struggle city! I also get a lot of pain in my arms from the laborious and repetitive motion – that's a story for another day. I was weary about whether this tool would live up to my expectations, but after just one use I am happy to say this is definitely a gamechanger for my blowout routine! 

This blow-dryer brush is exactly what is sounds like – a blow-dryer and styling brush wrapped into one! Because you don’t have to hold a separate brush and your blow-dryer, this combo gives you a free hand so you’re able to tightly grab and guide each section of hair as you go. I sectioned my wet hair into about eight sections and tightly wound them with styling clips, then went in with the Double Shot, working my way up from my roots. Pro tip: Once you have a section of hair and you position the Double Shot at your roots, hold it there for at least 10-20 seconds and let that air flow. This technique will give allow your wet roots time to dry so you aren’t going over each strand dozens of times. Going slow is what helped my hair from getting frizzy so patience is a virtue! Another pro tip: Use DRYBAR Jump Start Quick Dry Blowout Serum to reduce styling time and protect your strands from heat. 

Drybar Double Shot Results.jpg

One more photo from a different angle in the spoiler:

Spoiler
Drybar After Shot.jpg

I will let the photos speak for themselves – I am obsessed with these results and don’t want to live without this tool in my beauty arsenal. I will say that my 20 years of experience blow-drying my hair has helped me immensely, but my technique was getting rusty. As a rookie to using this tool, I impressed myself with these results and am 1000000% purchasing the Double Shot once it’s available. With more practice I am hoping to master my technique so I can achieve that just-walked-out-of-Drybar blowout lewk all on my own. Will keep you all updated on my progress on this thread 🙂 

Full disclosure – we're still figuring out the exact day this will be available. The product page will go up this Tuesday, 11/19, and you can sign up for email notifications to be notified once it’s in stock. Of course, we will also update this thread once we have the date finalized.  

In case you have thicker hair, my teammates also tried this tool and will jump in with their thoughts and tips. @GeorginaBT has thick, shoulder-length hair she likes to wear stick straight. @AlexBT has thick hair that’s wavy/curly. @BrendaBT has very thick, wavy hair. 

Would you be up to trying the Double Shot? What’s the most life-changing styling tool you’ve ever used? Leave a reply and let us know! 

Re: Drybar Double Shot AKA The Hair Styling Gamechanger

This may je the next best tool for my hair!  And if it is quick to use and doesn't take a large learning curve then all the better. @KatieBT 

Did you wind up getting the Drybar Double Shot @l8totheparty?  I am seriously considering getting one and would love to hear your thoughts if you did.  🙂

No, I didn't! @mrsmouse  Alas, I do not have the advice you seek.

Ah, okay @l8totheparty.  Well, @cianni's review, along with 20% off and 5 piece Drybar GWP, convinced me to pull the trigger this morning.  I'll let you know what I think if you're still interested.  🙂

Please do!  @mrsmouse  I have it on my 'maybe purchase in the future' list.

Now that I have used the Drybar The Double Shot Blow-Dryer Brush a few times, I wanted to let you know what I thought @l8totheparty.  I love it!  I think it's really perfect for someone like me who hasn't used a blow dryer in ages and probably isn't coordinated enough to try to use a round brush and a blow dryer at the same time.  I do kinda wish there was maybe a little more of a variable in the heat settings, but my hair doesn't really require a high heat anyway (I use my straightener at 350 degrees and it works great).  I do think, as @cianni mentioned, and I believe she said @GG84 told her, that it does work little better when your hair is more on the drier side rather than just towel dried.  I use my Aquis hair towel & Drybar Jump Start Quick Dry Blowout Serum 4 oz/ 120 mL& then have at it, but my hair is fine and I don't have a ton of it so that works for me.  This definitely gave me the extra body that I was looking for without having a giant learning curve.  Even my friend at work noticed right away and commented on how great my hair looked.  🙂

Ohhhhhhhh this sounds up my alley, @mrsmouse !

I am definitely really happy with the purchase @l8totheparty.  If you decide to pull the trigger on it, I hope you love it as much as I do!  🙂

You got it @l8totheparty🙂

@l8totheparty if you've ever used a blow dryer and hairbrush to give yourself a blowout you will probably find this easy enough to use! I do think this is something that will take a few tries before completely mastering - like any new hair tool - but with some practice it seems like a desert island product.. Gotta look good on the beach, right?! That's how I feel about my Drybar The 3-Day Bender 1.25" Digital Curling Iron at least! Took a while to get the technique down but I would have a hard time using anything else to curl my hair. 

@KatieBTDrybar The 3-Day Bender 1.25" Digital Curling Iron is next on my list.  I already have Drybar The Tress Press Digital Styling Iron & thanks to this thread, the Drybar The Double Shot Blow-Dryer Brush.  Y'all are killing my budget with your recommendations, but making my hair look AH-MAZING!  😉  I appreciate the heads up that it might take a little bit to get the technique down.  I feel like that's true for me with all tools though.  Can't wait for the next sale!  🙂

Finally sharing my thoughts on this awesome tool. As someone who typically just blow dries my hair so I can take an iron to it immediately afterwards, I thought this tool was fairly easy to use! Using the Double Shot got rid of a lot of the frizz I am usually left with when I use a regular blow dryer without a brush. I appreciated that the tool itself is light in weight because my hair is THICK and my arms and wrists usually suffer during the long drying process. I definitely second Katie's protip about using Drybar Jump Start Quick Dry Blowout Serum 4 oz/ 120 mL!

I’m rocking a shorter cut at the moment and was worried the thick barrel might not be able to get to the root of my hair, but I was wrong – I think the way the brush is shaped (almost like a flat oval rather than a perfect, round cylinder) is great for getting close to the scalp. This tool’s most magical feature is that my hair didn’t get tangled in it at all, no matter which way I pulled it. This is a great addition to your hair tool collection if you’re looking for something to step up your self-blowout game.

Loooooove this! My mama is definitely gonna be getting one of these for Christmas 😍 thanks for the holiday shopping inspo 😂

Did you wind up getting the Drybar Double Shot for your mom @cianni?  If so, what did you both think?  I am seriously considering getting one and would love to hear your thoughts if you did.  🙂

@mrsmouse I did! She LOVES it. It really does make your hair look like a blowout. It’s pretty big/awkwardly sized so there is a learning curve. But once you get the hang of it, it’s great!! I passed @GG84  suggestion to my mom of only using it when the hair was already mostly dry (despite it having a blow dryer function inside the brush), and the results are amazing. She takes a few mins on freshly blowdried hair or uses it to freshen up second or third day hair and it always looks perfect and voluminous. Definitely recommend! She’s used it on me and the results are the same. Her hair is just above the shoulder and curly, mine is several inches past the shoulder and on the light wave/straighter side and it worked for both of us!!

Thanks so much @cianni!  My hair is almost to mid back, a little on the fine and thin side and have only air dried and flat ironed it for, oh I don't know, more than a decade at least.  I'll even admit to not doing that much for years when my kid was little.  😉  I am definitely out of practice with blow drying, but this seemed like it might a good option for getting back into it and adding more volume to my hair.  I feel like no matter what I use there is going to be a learning curve, so that isn't a deterrent for me.  I really appreciate the recommendation!  🙂

Editing to add - These kind of brushes and boon to people like me who for the life of me couldn't figure out how to use a blow dryer with round brush. I can use it with flat peddle brush but results with this kind of brush are amazing and so much faster. 

@KatieBT   @CarolBT  Two questions -

1. Is this dual voltage (does it have 220V also)? 

I currently have something similar but cheaper (from John Freida IIRC) which I really like but this might be a nice upgrade. I am looking for something that I can take with me during travel to other countries when I travel where power generally is 220V. 

2. can you use this on wet hair? Seems like one of the testers below used it on wet hair so just squeeze water out of hair using a towel and use this? that would be time saving and easier. 

Current one that I have, you need to dry your hair a bit before using that else it damages the hair (I use hotel airdryer or air dry for little bit before using this one)

Did you wind up getting the Drybar Double Shot @naturalooks15 ?  I am seriously considering getting one and would love to hear your thoughts if you did.  🙂

Hi @naturalooks15 

We wanted to jump in and answer your questions!

1. No, The Double Shot is not dual-voltage.

2. Yes, The Double Shot can be used on wet hair! For use on wet hair, first towel-dry hair to remove excess water (if your hair is extra-thick or long, you may have to rough-dry with a regular blow-dryer before using The Double Shot). Then, brush out your hair using a detangling brush or comb, and separate into large sections. Place the Double Shot underneath each section and work it slowly from roots to ends, until the section is dry and smooth. For volume at the roots, use horizontally at the crown. 

P.S. You can also use The Double Shot on dry hair to create a smooth, finished look! 

Hi @naturalooks15!

Answering your Qs:

1. I did not think to check the voltage when trying it out, so unfortunately I can't say on that, BUT!
  2. I did use it on my wet hair! Straight out of the shower, applied a little hair oil (for heat protection) and then right on to the blow dryer. 

77 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos10
  • Drybar Double Shot Tool_Use.png
  • Drybar Double Shot Results.jpg
  • Drybar After Shot.jpg
  • Before: pre-shower. This is 5 days no wash.
  • Before: post-shower.
  • During 1
  • During 2
  • During 3
  • After 1
  • After 2
testing