cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

What's on your plate?

Hello there, ladies and gents!

Keeping in line with all the fun and interactive threads asking about your most recent halls, items you have your eyes on, what you're currently wearing, what's your hair routine, and more, I've decide to branch out and ask:

"What's on your plate?"

The beauty world doesn't just stop at skin care and cosmetics, it also goes hand in hand with your overall health and well-being, so with that, I'm curious to see what we're all chowing down and snacking on be it for breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, or inbetween!

For those with apps that help count calories or to those who just want to keep a log, here's a place to share, possibly find and share some recipes, and even tips on maintaining a balanced diet.

Don't just share food items, but even drinks! I'm a huge fan of tea and at least have a cup of green tea a day (anti-oxidants) and drink plenty of water.

For lunch today, I had:

-Brown rice

-Steamed egg

-Steamed red snapper with green onion, sesame oil, and black pepper

-Gai lan (it's a type of Chinese vegetable/greens)

Now, tell me, Beauty Talk world, what do you have? 😄

Re: What's on your plate?

I didn't even think to look there haha. I went to a Fresh & Easy. I don't know if you have those where you live but they're relatively small and sometimes that store is really hit or miss when it comes to "international" foods (I always laugh when stores label aisles like that). I'll have to check again on my next trip! And thanks! I never eat noodles without my chopsabers haha.

I wish they lit up! I got a pair for my friend one year!

Me too! How cool would it be to eat a bowl of ramen in the dark! I imagine it would make the broth look like it's glowing

Anonymous Insider

@lylysa: wow and wow. I'm usually not a fan of Asian anything but I gotta say I would try that in a heartbeat.

@BeautyJunkie325: omg that dessert looks like chocolate heaven!! Even on the ceiling! 😉

Sorry about your mom too...that's rough. 😞

I'm sooooo trying to figure out why some of my pics are posting upside done.  Oye!!!!!

She was diagnosed a few years ago which was rough.  The year after she was diagnosed with lung cancer.  I was sooooo done with everything & everyone.  I had completely shut down & stopped believing in anything.  I couldn't believe that my mom not only was going to loose everything that made her my mom but now she had cancer.  My friends kicked my butt, prayed for her and did little things for us.  One of my closest friends made her a quilt out of blue fabric (her favorite color) to use when she went for chemo treatments.  We had a long year of surgery & chemo.  After going through that everything else is cake.  She has good days and bad days, but I'm lucky that she knows who everyone is, she just can't ask for a fork. 🙂

Upside down or not, that looked delish!

All the best for your mom, you, friends, and family. It sounds like you have a really good, solid circle of people and that can make all the difference in the world when days get dark.

🙂 It's really different, if you're not accustomed to miso you might not even be able to place your finger on it being what is used, but the honey really helps to give it a balance. Spyski isn't a miso flavor fan, but like I mentioned, any time I post recipes, I encourage folks to adjust and alter to their tastes to make it work for them!

I'm a big believer in "the nose knows" in regards to mixing up ingredients!

Okay! Back with another recipe, folks!

MISO HONEY GLAZED CHICKEN!

Again, for those that know my previous recipe posts, lots of them vary in terms of measurement (use your own judgement/tastes, if you like the flavor more of one spice, add more, if you want to take away some, do so, use your nose as a guide as far as what you're making and having it smell right = tasting right), but I tried to be a bit more precise on this recipe.

For starters, preheat your oven to 350!

mshnychkn.jpg

Okay! Onto recipe/photo guide time! Refer to the the above pic as you read on!

Step One - Ingredients/supplies

-Baking pan/sheet (covered in foil, I rubbed a touch of sesame oil on it)

-Chicken breast (butterflied and fileted into two pieces, you can also just cut the chicken into piece to cook on the stove in a pan or in strips cooked in pan or oven)

-Honey

-Miso paste

-Onion powder

-Chili powder

-Black pepper (I like fresh ground pepper, but preground is fine)

-Salt

-Sesame oil

-Sesame seeds (toasted, optional)

Step Two & Three - Mixing your marinade

For this specific time, I used 3 1/2 tablespoons of honey, 2 1/2 teaspoons of miso paste, sprinkled in some salt, pepper, onion powder, and chili powder, and added a small touch of sesame oil (keep it easy on the SO, no need to get crazy). Mix it up with a spoon or whisk until the miso is no longer clumpy and it makes almost a runny paste. Again, use your sense of smell, if you want to add more of a spice in, go ahead, if the paste is too runny, feel free to add some corn starch a little at a time to thicken it up some but be sure it doesn't make your glaze smell too powdery. Photo three shows the texture of this particular time I made it, but I've also had times where I didn't add as much honey and the miso was more dominant.

Step Four - Glaze time

Add in your chicken now, mix it up, coat up pieces, slices, breasts (however you cut it) to the marinade to make sure it's evenly glazed (I'll post what polish I'm wearing in Mani Friday post later, haha!). Keep any left over marinade to reglaze later.

Step Five - Prepare to bake

Lay chicken pieces on baking pan and sprinkle sesame seeds on top, pop into oven for 20 minutes

Step Six - Reglaze

Midway through baking, pull out chicken and drizzle on some left over marinade. use a spoon as a brush will just remove/move sesame seeds, close oven, let it finish out for the remainder of the bake time.

Step Seven - TA DA! (Check out my sweet oven mitt :P)

Pull out, let cool, plate and serve! TA DA!!!!!! Enjoy!

*As mentioned, this can also be cooked on the stove in a pan, the key is to cook on medium/high heat and ensure the chicken doesn't stick, I like using sesame oil as the recipe itself calls for it.

As for dinner last night, I made soba (buckwheat) noodles in broth with chicken, dumplings (bought at Costco), fish balls, baby bok choy, mung bean sprouts, and garnished with some green onion! Here my bf displays his bowl proudly before we pig out!

sbandls.jpg

Oh my goodness. It's a million degrees outside but I'm totally going to brave the heat so I can go pick up some miso paste to make this!

I came up with the recipe on a complete whim a while back too! I had originally bought the miso paste for soup making (I also like to use it in broths when I make noodles), and thought, "Man, I have a whole bag of miso, don't want to waste it....what to do...what to do???" And the idea of mixing it with honey popped into my head! I've made it for friends before (made on the stove) but also I use that marinade over salmon too!

I wish I was your bf in that picture eating yummy goodness! I will print this one out as well! I think I have  like a  "lil lylysa cookbook" going on now with all the printouts over the past couple of months! HAHA

He's a goof! ❤️ him! I gave him his bowl and was all , "WAIIIIT! I need to take a photo to show the girls!!!" And he just holds it up smiling, he doesn't mind be posted on BT since he's already on my avi pic with me and I've posted some of our other pics before.

That is great!!!!  My poor parents have to wait for their food so I can take pictures  and post to my instagram. 🙂

Hahah, "Hold it mom and dad! *click click* Okay, you're good to eat now!" 😛

Oh its worse than that - wait you can't have your plate until I take 7-10 pictures.  Gotta make sure I get a good picture. 🙂

I prefer the simpler things in life...

IMG_2019.JPG

YES!!!!

Oh I love me some pickles!!!!!  I tried a recipe for quick refrigerator pickles not that long ago.  They were amazing.

Anonymous Insider

Recipe for the pickles please.:)

Here are the 2 recipes I use.  I had always used the Martha Stewart recipie & got the Micheal Symon one from seeing it on "The Chew". mmmmmmmm

I also make a sweet & sour salad with cucmbers, red/yellow/orange/green peppers, onions.

Michael Symon Spicy Quick Pickle
2 cups White Vinegar
1 teaspoon Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Red Chili Flakes
1 teaspoon Fennel Seeds
1 teaspoon Coriander
2 Fresno Chilies (thinly sliced)
2 Kirby Cucumbers (thinly sliced)
Combine vinegar, sugar, chili flake, fennel and coriander in a small pot and bring to a boil. Pour over prepared vegetables. Allow to sit until liquid is room temperature. Strain and serve.

Martha Stewart Quick Pickles
3 cups white vinegar
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons coarse salt
1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
2 to 4 small red chiles (optional)
1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 1/2 cups fresh dill fronds (about 1 bunch)
Cucumbers, prepared
To prepare cucumbers - Line a rimmed baking sheet with paper towels and lightly sprinkle with coarse salt. Arrange 4 small cucumbers, sliced 1/8 inch thick, on sheet in a single layer and sprinkle with salt. Cover with a second layer of paper towels. Let stand 15 minutes, then pat dry.
In a medium saucepan, combine white vinegar, sugar, salt, mustard seed, celery seed, red chiles (optional), and ground turmeric. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Arrange cucumbers and dill fronds in one or more jars. Pour hot brine into jar to completely cover vegetables and seal jar. Refrigerate until cool, about 2 hours (or up to 1 week).

I'm not a pan of pickles (just not a fan of anything pickled to begin with, I mentioned this is the kim chi posts a few pages back), but my cousins and bf LOVE them, every time we go to a deli or place with a pickle spear they always nab it off my plate! I say it's a good thing so at least food doesn't get wasted!

2 Replies
testing