cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

What's on your plate?

Hello there, ladies and gents!

Keeping in line with all the fun and interactive threads asking about your most recent halls, items you have your eyes on, what you're currently wearing, what's your hair routine, and more, I've decide to branch out and ask:

"What's on your plate?"

The beauty world doesn't just stop at skin care and cosmetics, it also goes hand in hand with your overall health and well-being, so with that, I'm curious to see what we're all chowing down and snacking on be it for breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, or inbetween!

For those with apps that help count calories or to those who just want to keep a log, here's a place to share, possibly find and share some recipes, and even tips on maintaining a balanced diet.

Don't just share food items, but even drinks! I'm a huge fan of tea and at least have a cup of green tea a day (anti-oxidants) and drink plenty of water.

For lunch today, I had:

-Brown rice

-Steamed egg

-Steamed red snapper with green onion, sesame oil, and black pepper

-Gai lan (it's a type of Chinese vegetable/greens)

Now, tell me, Beauty Talk world, what do you have? 😄

Re: What's on your plate?

Baked chicken is super easy, if you have panko or breadcrumbs at your disposal, if not, a quick trip to the super market works.

Butterfly chicken breast and cut into pieces or strips (your choice), lightly dust with corn starch or a bit of flour, dip in a beaten egg, I like to add some extra spices and seasoning like chili powder, onion powder, fresh minced garlic, fresh ground pepper, and whatnot to the pieces before dipping them in bread crumbs/panko. I've never seen seasoned panko flakes, but bread crumbs come with seasoned varieties so give some flavor.

Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes (depending on the size and amount of chicken you're baking), and TAH DAH!

My bf actually did foil packet baked chicken that came out extra juicy. Same thing, oven at 350, bake for about 30 mins, but you just add seasoning/spices direct to chicken breast pieces then wrap in a foil packet and place in the oven, you can put the foil packets on a baking sheet if you're afraid the foil will tear or won't hold. We put about 2 pieces/strips in each pack.

Good ol' chicken strips!  That's something my kids can't complain about.  I have both panko and breadcrumbs in my pantry so that may very well end up being dinner!

If you're not against frying, you can always do tempura chicken!

1 egg, 1 cup of flour (or corn starch), 1 cup of cold water, pat dry chicken pieces and lightly dip in flour (or shrimp, veggies, whatever you want to fry), then dip in mixture of the flour, water, and egg, then fry! 🙂

If you do shrimp and go traditional, peel and de-vein them (leave the tails on) and then cut down their bellies lightly and make a few light cuts across and bend them straight, the incisions should help "break" their shape so they fry out straight.

tpshmp.jpg

This kind of explains the cuts, no need to go crazy deep, but just light incisions do. 🙂

Thanks for the insight, but I'm trying to steer clear from fried foods even lightly battered with panko sprinkled on. Part of the reason why I think he's so picky is that he was grown up on fast foods with high sodium and fried chicken. Hey, I like me some fried chicken, but not once a week. It's a very limited diet. hehe

Same here, I don't do fried foods often, I bake way more than I fry, the few times I do get shrimp, it'll be an appetizer that I'll make the tempura for. Once I had so much extra batter I ended up frying broccoli! 😛 The tempura frying is something I've found that gives a much lighter fried shell, it's not heavily coated in flour and dry ingredients to where the batter is thick and extra crispy.

That sounds yummy! My bf is a very VERY picky eater. Over the past years I've been getting him to try new things and let me tell ya it isn't easy! I'm one for more worldy foods, I'll try anything atleast once even the nasty stuff on Andrew Zimmerman's show! It took about 4 months of trying different recipes involving chicken and it boiled down to only one...which was grilled baja style chicken (basically chicken that tastes like tacos). After that, I've tried making regular ole ground beef crunchy tacos with no toppings. SCORE! He like it. Any suggestions on getting someone ease into trying new ingredients? It's a touchy subject with him, since he shys away from talking about his picky palette. 

I believe it's really about finding a flavor he likes. Often times it's the FLAVOR that folks are scared of. If you know he likes things more mild, go for the standard garlic or onion, if you use fresh versions, cook them down in a skillet before adding in your meat so they're not as potent, add some oil in the pan so the oil itself gets flavor then remove the garlic/onion pieces.

If he likes light/aromatic things, try flavoring fish or chicken with a light dill sauce or even a touch of rosemary. Making reductions or thin/liquidy sauces to go over meats and dishes is a way to have him adjust how much flavor he wants. Same with balsamic vinegars or oils for salads or over pasta. Have him try some pesto or drizzle some flavored oil on toasted French bread. I've found doing a yogurt/cilantro sauce is excellent over fish or baja chicken tacos! It's light, refreshing, and good for Summer!

If he wants things a bit more bold, spice things with coarse salts (sea salt), fresh ground pepper, cumin, chili flake, and paprika.

What are some foods he likes and don't like? This has become like a fun "See what I can throw out for Spyski's bf" food challenge! 😛

Oh nice! Funny you've mentioned the yogurt/cilantro dressing, I tried it on the fresh mahi I caught awhile back. That was AHHMAZING! (atleast to me) He didn't want any though. I think it's more of a texture thing with him. However, I recently got him to try a Ruth's Chris steakhouse steak and he even ordered it medium rare! WOW! I'm proud. He liked it, but couldn't finish more than a couple bites because it was so new to him.

He's more of a pizza man. Plain with only cheese. 

Spaghetti is a good alternative I throw in about every week. 

Make pita pizzas!!! ^_^ It's a fun, interactive date-night activity and you can use things like fresh tomato paste (or even sliced tomatoes or lightly mashed baby tomatoes/cooked down tomatoes), fresh goat cheese or slivers/slices of fresh mozzarella, toss in some basil (chop it up real fine and cook it with the tomatoes), spinach leaves (I swear they cook down in the oven and don't taste super leafy. You can also cook up tiny mushroom slices or cubes in the tomato sauce ahead of time (sneak that stuff in, same thing with spinach). Have him try different cheeses, maybe go to your supermarket and the fresh cheese area and pick some out together.

Since he doesn't have an issue with ground meat, cook some up with onion pieces and garlic, along with mushroom (again, hide hide hide once and all with the sauce), then add sauce over it so it's a rich and meaty sauce. You can also cube tomatoes (they soften and cook down) too.

I would also say, try switching up to ground turkey too! Again, the suace hides everrrrything! 😛

He sounds like my buddy who's super picky too!

How is he with bacon? 😛

Haha, when I make spaghetti I have to put the Ragu in a blender because He "sees" the little onion bits and it throws him off on a wing. Like I said this is a very tricky situation. AND I can't hide things in certain recipes because if he finds out it would be the death of me I think. Atleast that's what his mother does, and he absolutely hates when she hides things in the food. lol

He likes turkey bacon on plain white bread. I forgot about that one!

Bake potato wedges and top them off with crumbled turkey bacon! I also posted a recipe for a cheeseburger bacon casserole not long ago...lemme find it...*disappears*

I'm back! Here you go! It combines all his "safe foods" like cheese, pasta, uses tomato soup (so no picking out pieces), and can incorporate turkey bacon! Though the recipe calls for finely chopped onion, I assure you, you can't see or taste it once it's all cooked. I'm not big on onions either which is crazy, the texture is a no for me (can't stand it on burgers), but I love the flavor (cooking down mushrooms, onion, and beef tips, yum!) and I cannot tell I'm eating onion at all!

Made bacon hamburger casserole last night since my bf and I bought bacon in bulk! Haha!

Recipe:

-1 lb lean ground beef

-1 small onion (of about 1/4 or 1/3 of a larger onion), diced up

-Half a bag of egg noodles (egg-free egg noodles can also be used, or other types of pasta)

-8 or 9 strips of bacon (or turkey bacon if you don't eat pork)

-Salt

-Pepper

-Chili powder/flake (optional, but adds a touch more flavor)

-Cheddar cheese (sharp is best since mild versions just get lost with the flavors)

-1 10 ounce can of condensed tomato soup

1. Cook pasta, strain, set aside

2. Cook bacon (oven, stove, griddle, microwave), crumble, set aside

3. Cook up ground beef with onion, season with salt and pepper, strain out any released fat, set aside

I like doing all three steps above all together so you save time, if prep/cook time won't allow for your bacon to cool down enough before you have to add it to the mix, use kitchen/cooking shears to snip them into chunks/pieces. I also like cooking up 1/3 of the diced onions up first in the pan so they're flavor is released a bit more before adding the beef. Don't be afraid to be generous with the salt and pepper since there's not a lot of spices in this recipe, you're going to want to be sure the beef isn't bland.

4. Take bacon and add it to the beef/onion mix, add in the can of soup and let it simmer for about 5 minutes, stir to distribute the soup well into the meat

5. Add in noodles and mix, letting simmer for another 5 minutes

6. Turn off heat and sprinkle cheddar cheese over dish and let sit so cheese melts down

7. Let it cool slightly, then serve up and enjoy!

YESSSSSSSS! That sounds perfect. Printing it out as I write this! I'm going to try this sometime this week for sure. Thank you for such a BIG help on this little issue of mine 😄

No prob! You can even toss in whole grain pasta for the egg noodles too...oooo make him eat whole grains!!!! 😛

Go to the grocery store and pick up a bottle of Lawry's marinade. I like the teriyaki one the best! Add about 1/3 of the bottle to the chicken breast, let it sit in the fridge for about an hour then wrap up pineapple rings in foil with cinnamon/sugar sprinkled on top. Heat up the grill (indoor or outdoor), place the marinated chicken on there then place a pineapple ring on top of each breast. Cook until tender! You can place the whole ensemble on top a bed of sticky white rice. VOILA! 

Grilled pineapple with cinnamon and sugar?  Oh my gosh that sounds good!

After reading a bit all I can think is 'YUM' and now I'm hungry!!! To be honest though, my diet in general is HORRIBLE... I dream of the day when I'll have the time to take better care of myself 🙂 This is probably why I need (and religiously follow) such a great skincare routine hehehe 🙂  

Feel free to even share the not so healthy stuff, we're not here to judge and besides, sometimes the junk food stuff is what makes us drool and have our mouths watering the most! Haha!

We post recipes and whatnot here too, and don't be afraid to ask for one if someone posts up a yummy meal and you want more info! 😄

When I bought potato chips at the store yesterday (major stress food for me), I got back a coupon for "Wholesome Goodness Granola Bar".  LOL I think someone's trying to tell me something......

LOL! I think it's funny when grocery stores give coupons like that after receipt print outs, you can buy all the junk food in the world and then out pops a soy milk or protein bar coupon!

Had a huge craving for alfredo last night, it's been ages since I've had actual pasta (outside of the egg noodles used in skillet casseroles or the shirataki noodles used in stir-fry, which are yam based).

My b/f and I have been on a work out kick so we've been avoiding pasta just for the sake of pasta but last night was so super sweet and went out to get alfredo sauce so I could add it to linguine with mushrooms and broccoli. Baked some salmon up too!

I have a confession, partially to keep myself honest.

Tonight's appetizer? One of those mini Haagen-Daas ice creams- the 3oz ones that you can find for around $1.25 at the local store.

I have major medical problems with the heat and needed to get my core temperature to start getting back to normal.... I've been drinking water by the liter.  Desperate times...

2 Replies
testing