cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

What's on your plate?

Hello there, ladies and gents!

Keeping in line with all the fun and interactive threads asking about your most recent halls, items you have your eyes on, what you're currently wearing, what's your hair routine, and more, I've decide to branch out and ask:

"What's on your plate?"

The beauty world doesn't just stop at skin care and cosmetics, it also goes hand in hand with your overall health and well-being, so with that, I'm curious to see what we're all chowing down and snacking on be it for breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, or inbetween!

For those with apps that help count calories or to those who just want to keep a log, here's a place to share, possibly find and share some recipes, and even tips on maintaining a balanced diet.

Don't just share food items, but even drinks! I'm a huge fan of tea and at least have a cup of green tea a day (anti-oxidants) and drink plenty of water.

For lunch today, I had:

-Brown rice

-Steamed egg

-Steamed red snapper with green onion, sesame oil, and black pepper

-Gai lan (it's a type of Chinese vegetable/greens)

Now, tell me, Beauty Talk world, what do you have? 😄

Re: What's on your plate?

I need to make all the things!

All the recipes that I have tried from other users posting here have all been delicious!

I agree!  I love seeing what everyone is eating in this thread and I wish I could make everything!  I've been working on my cooking so hopefully one day I'll be able to make everything.

I need to make these cupcakes....

Make sure to send me one 😛

I've been on a kick of brewing up some English breakfast tea and adding a scoop of vanilla ice cream to serve as my milk/sugar combo. I don't go too heavy on the ice cream so it's not super sweet, but I don't tend to drink super sweet tea anyways.

That sounds really good.  Interesting idea, never would have thought of that myself.

I've been doing it for my coffee and espresso too!

Ahh I'm going to have to try that!

Ugh, I got over being sick not long ago (guy at work brought in a gnarly cough/cold with him after Thanksgiving and got myself and four other coworkers sick and it carried into Christmas, albeit improving considerably by then), but now it seems some congestion is coming back.

I just had some leftover ramen from last night's dinner and will probably have some mac n' cheese with broccoli later!

I am not a baker but today it was very rainy so I felt like making cookies.  I made Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chunk Cookies.

IMG_2133.JPG

Exactly!

My dad is at it again.  

Hot and Sour Soup

IMG_2110.JPG

Shrimp Fried Rice

IMG_2111.JPG

We bought these shrimp whole - with the heads and tails still on.  Since I don't cook I volunteered to clean them.  Hadn't done it before and man, is it messy!  But it was kinda fun too 🙂

Wow that looks delicious! 

It totally was!

I love peeling and prepping shrimp! You should tempura fry some next! ^_^

I'm intimidated by preparing shrimp for cooking (the peeling and prepping). Does that sound weird?

Any advice on techniques, etc. would be appreciated...

It's not weird.  My mom wasn't willing to do it (in this case though I think it was because they still had their heads).  

Since these had heads I twisted the head off first.  When you do that you can see the digestive tract.  So I start pulling that out (whatever I can get out at that point).  Then get a pairing knife and split the shell along the length of the shrimp.  Then it easily pulls away.  The hardest part is removing all of the digestive tract.  I just pulled it out with my hands.  Trying to do with the knife would have ruined the shrimp.

I actually saw how to do this on an episode of Hell's Kitchen (Season 6 Episode 2)

Like, Guzelkiz mentioned, twisting off the heads (twist away from you to avoid getting splashed with any shrimp juice/water after they're defrosted or rinsed) is a good starting point. From there, I tend to pry from its underside (where all the legs are) of its belly to then peel off the shell encasing its body (like you would peeling a crawfish) and eventually the tail. If you wish to keep the tail on, just short stop of that last segment when peeling. 

A pairing knife along the spine allows the back to open up to where you can take out the digestive track (keep a dish of water handy to get it rinsed from your fingers as trying to just fling it free can get tricky since its wet).

TY Guzelkiz. You make it sound (almost) easy. 😉

You're welcome.  Haha it isn't too hard.  Just that digestive tract gets annoying.  

2 Replies
testing