Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

Habit Stacking Thread ๐Ÿ“š

Hello BIC! Habit stacking is something I have been doing mindfully for the past few years now and thought it would be fun to discuss and share here. It has helped me save time, be more efficient and have more time for what is important to me (spend time with family/friends, scroll on BIC, read).

What is habit stacking?

Habit stacking is essentially exactly what it sounds like: taking a new habit and adding it to something you already do habitually. Habit stacking works by identifying a habit or a behavior you want to start doing and tacking it onto something you already do regularly.

Example (I do all of these at the same time):

First Habit - Prepping and making a meal in the Instant Pot

Second - Put a load of laundry on while the food is cooking

Third - Putting hair oil on my scalp or put a hair mask in

Forth - Work out (while I am working out, dinner is cooking, laundry is washing and my hair is getting a treatment)

I thought maybe this could be a space where we discuss our habit stacking, share ideas, support, learn and motivate eachother. 

What habit stacking did you do today? 

images (3).jpeg

images (5).jpeg

โ€ƒ

โ€ƒ

Spoiler
I am open for suggestions for this thread. Maybe we can do challenges weekly or monthly?

Re: Habit Stacking Thread ๐Ÿ“š

I think I'm 2 weeks into doing this: stretching and LED mask.

I need to stretch, badly... But can't get myself to do it nor do I have the 15 minutes to dedicate like I used to.  I realize I won't typically miss using my DDG mask, so I put those two together.  Collectively I'm getting 21 minutes off stretching now ๐Ÿ™Œ๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿง˜๐Ÿฝโ€โ™€๏ธ

@danielledanielle Awesome habit stacking! When do you normally fit this habit stack in during your day?

At night @Mellmars1185   Once in awhile, I'll do the LED mask in the afternoon, but honestly, it's better at night - more relaxing that way.

Habit Stacking Check-In #2 - I've fallen off most of my habit stacking practices and am in need of a reset or possibly, a change to what or how I'm going about the various habits.  

HABIT STACK #1 - Reading for leisure
  • Habits-To-Be-Stacked-In-A-Nutshell - Get in some reading time (with books or audio books) while waiting for dinner to finish cooking; 2-3 times per week
  • How's It Going?  Both habits - reading for leisure and cooking dinner - are still taking place, just not at the same time. Lol. Right now, I'm combining or stacking other habits when it comes what else I'm stacking each habit with. For instance, this habit pairing has been combined with either (a) breaking for lunch instead of working through it and reading for leisure during my lunch; and (b) getting ready for the next day (e.g., reviewing my calendar and to do list for the next day) while waiting for dinner to finish cooking).
  • Next Step(s), if any - I feel like the changes to how this habit stack was originally intended to look like is fine. It's now morphed into two different habit stacking practices and both (a) and (b) involve good habits to be practicing

HABIT STACK #2 - Scalp Care 
  • Habits-To-Be-Stacked-In-A-Nutshell - scalp care followed by workout followed by skin and body care, followed by mapping out weekly wardrobe and meal prep for the week, once per week
  • How's It Going? It was going fairly well until I hit a roadblock with each habit; lol. I've tried a couple different pre-wash hair oils and they don't seem to be compatible with my hair so it's no longer part of my hair / scalp care routine
  • Next Step(s), if any -  None for scalp care - I have other scalp care routines, but won't be including a habit stack with it. Instead, there will be a new Habit Stack #2 (see below)

HABIT STACK #3 - Digital Detox & Self Care (to unwind, destress, and sleep better)
  • Habits-To-Be-Stacked-In-A-Nutshell - 2-3 nights per week, move phone away from nightstand; and add restorative yoga by candlelight, followed by laying out clothes for the next day, and doing foot, hand and cuticle care before bedtime
  • How's It Going? The various habits are taking place just not stacked with each other. My phone is away from my nightstand and usually outside my bedroom every day now, so that's been a successful outcome. I need to be better about being more consistent with the restorative yoga.
  • Next Step(s), if any - Setting the nights on which this habit stack takes place and aiming to stick to it - Tuesday and Thursday evenings is the new schedule for the following habit stack - an hour before my target bedtime, go dark on electronics (no texting, emailing, being on the internet, etc.), 20-30 minutes restorative yoga by candlelight followed by having a Sourse dream chocolate, followed by oral hygiene care, then 10-20+ minutes of quiet time / journaling time, and then bedtime.

(NEW) HABIT STACK #2 - Water intake & skincare routine
  • Current habit - skincare routine morning and evening
  • New habit - drinking 8 oz water in some form while going through skincare routine
    • AM: wash face and sip through 8 oz water during skincare and makeup routine
    • PM: Sip through 8oz of water during skincare routine
  • Goal - Every day, 2x per day. My water intake hasn't been as good as it was so this'll get in 16 oz., with 8 of them being a kickstart to the day.

We shall see how these habit stacks shape up. I'll aim to check back in after about a month. @Mellmars1185 

@itsfi Great feedback! I have been falling off track lately with my stacking too. I really love the idea of getting water in while doing skincare. It is such a great way to start the day. I want to try this too! Thank you for sharing ๐Ÿฅฐ. 

Yes, yes, give it a try @Mellmars1185. ๐Ÿ˜Š I started today and sipped on a glass of water with a slice of lemon while doing my makeup this morning. I should get to taking my makeup off soon and will sip on water while I do that as well. That will put me at 66 oz of water today. I better go do that now before I forget. ๐Ÿ˜† 

@itsfi Yes I can definitely swap put my morning coffee with makeup for water...or can I? Maybe I will just drink it faster so I can have both ! Do you notice a difference in how you feel/your skin yet?

Okay @Mellmars1185, my first thought was "why does the coffee have to go away?" ๐Ÿ˜ฒ๐Ÿ˜… Keep 'em both in the morning routine!! A sip of coffee, a sip of water. Another sip of coffee ... because it's coffee!! 

I know from past experience that the better my water intake, the better I feel, and it shows on my skin too. Today started really well - yay! Got up early, without feeling groggy or dragging (and when I was ready to get up not just because I couldn't sleep and ended up just getting up and out of bed). Off to do my skincare routine (and sip on water) - I'm going to try drinking my coffee while getting dressed for work this morning (and then go back and put on my lipstick). Let's see if that's a way to get in a glass of water and coffee without having to rush either. ๐Ÿคž

@itsfi That sounds like a great start for sure! I say, take all the wins we can ๐Ÿ˜Š. Smart idea with drinking your coffee first and then applying Lipstick. I do that too. I also brush my teeth after coffee and before Lipstick. Getting up earlier is such a game changer if you have had enough sleep. I prefer to get things done in the morning (if I can) and relax after work. One thing I really want to work on is waking up earlier to get my workouts in on the days I work from home (instead of sleeping later).

Today during my morning routine, I included a couple of habit stacks:

• Ice rolled my face while drinking my morning coffee. This also woke me up. My SO even tried it after he saw me doing it!
  • Listened to an inspiration Podcast while getting ready for work this morning. It set the tone for a good day.

@Mellmars1185  great job, I love both of these ideas! I have never tried ice rolling before, but it sounds like it would really wake you up! Right now I am trying to build & stick to a more consistent and positive morning and evening routine. I think this thread will be very helpful for that!

@caitbird Thank you! I am excited for the changes in your routine you are making and the positive impact it has for you. I feel like just a small change in a routine can make such an impact. I am looking forward to hearing about it! For myself, writing things down helps. I like to write everything down that I want to accomplish in the day.

@Mellmars1185  oh same! I make a to-do list every day, it's the only way I can keep track of everything (and I still sometimes forget things ๐Ÿ˜…). Part of the appeal of habit stacking for me is that if I can get in the habit of doing something regularly in my routine, it will be easier for me to remember and not let it slip my mind.

Habit Stacking Check In - It's been about 4 weeks since I started practicing habit stacking and I thought it'd be a good time as any to check-in with how I've been doing and what, if any, adjustments I've made to my habit stacking routines. @Mellmars1185 

HABIT STACK #1 - Reading for leisure
  • Current Habit - Cooking dinner
  • New Habit - Read for leisure while waiting for dinner to finish cooking
  • Goal: 2-3 times per week 

• How's it going? - Started off really well, but the last week-and-a-half hasn't been great as far as reading for leisure, and I didn't do much cooking (other than reheating leftovers) during that time either. I did get back to cooking dinner last night so that is a plus. 
  • Changes made / to be made - I've been contemplating audiobooks (not entirely as I love seeing the written words and holding a physical book). I think I will give audiobooks a try with this habit stack, starting next week or the week after, maybe? I'll continue to read my other book, but and will look to carve out some time for that. 

HABIT STACK #2 - Scalp Care (Pre-wash oil)
  • Current Habit - Workout followed by shower
  • New Habit - Regular hair scalp, skin & body care in and post-shower, followed by mapping out weekly wardrobe and meal prep for the week
  • Goal: 1-2 times per week 

HABIT STACK #3 - Digital Detox & Self Care (to unwind, destress, and sleep better)

• How's it going? -  This habit stack was one I just recently started, but so far, so good (for the most part). 
  • Changes made / to be made - Will try to add some time to read (physical book) before bed 

@itsfi  great job! These are all really positive habits to add into your routine (also, restorative yoga by candlelight sounds sooo nice!), I love it. As always, you continue to inspire me!

@caitbird, thank you. ๐Ÿ˜Š Multi-tasking is something I have done for almost my whole life so grouping activities together is something with which I have some familiarity. Making certain activities a habit sounded great and with the habit-stacking concept, I decided to try it and center it around self care, wellness. Itโ€™s been trial and error, with tweaks here and there because sometimes I get ahead of myself. It's been great to put it to a trial and make adjustments based on what is more doable, practical. Weโ€™ll find what works. The restorative yoga offers some nice quiet time for me; always good. 

@itsfi Thank you for the update. Do you find that the habit stacking is saving you time when you are able to do it? I like your new idea to read before bed. That way you are getting your digital detox at the same time. I find reading before bed helps me fall asleep quickly ๐Ÿ˜ด

@Mellmars1185, I tend to multi-task when I do a lot of things, so in that sense, habit stacking as a technique  wasn't so hard to wrap my head around. Making something a 'habit', ohwever, presents a little more of a challenge for me, particularly since I wanted to put a self-care focus on what the new habit would be. It's been nice to weave that component into the other "action items" or "to do's" on my list, and especially to find ways to do it that feels less like checking something off my list and more an activity that is more natural (or a habit). Not sure that makes sense. 

I'm really looking forward to reading after restorative yoga and before bed - that will be fabulous for unwinding and self-care if I can get both of those activities to become habits. I know I need to make sure to set a limit on how long I read - I can easily get engrossed in a book and be up until the middle of the night, which would defeat the purpose of aiming for better (and possibly, more) sleep. I can either set a timer on my cell phone (sure, it's not a pure digital detox then but I'd be fine with it) or I can use a mechanical egg timer for it. 

I had to call my cell phone service provider today. Instead of getting frustrated with how long I was on hold for, I decided to put my phone on speaker phone and make dinner at the same time. Dinner โœ”๏ธ, cell phone issue fixed โœ”๏ธ.

@Mellmars1185 now I want your Instant pot recipes lol!

My habit stacking is:

putting a load of laundry in the wash

clean up the house and/or pay bills while the washer is going

put the load in the dryer when it's finished

take a shower

and then start the dishwasher before

starting my makeup/skincare that day

It helps get a lot done especially on the weekend when you want to maximize your time.

3 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 88 replies
  • 289 Hearts Given
  • 11 Contributors
Photos3
  • images (3).jpeg
  • images (5).jpeg
  • Build Good Habits.jpg
testing