Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

The Gratis Thread ๐Ÿ›๐ŸŽ‰

A place to say thank you, provide reviews and first impressions, or follow up on gratis received after more use!

Many of us have been very lucky to receive gratis (thanks Sephora!), and Iโ€™ve been finding that while itโ€™s easy to initially post about receiving it and initial reviews, itโ€™s not as easy to follow up! 

I thought maybe we could have a dedicated thread to follow-ups and reviews with products weโ€™ve received after weโ€™ve been using them for a while, especially because itโ€™s sometimes hard to find the original thank you and first impressions threads.

Re: Gratis Check-Ins๐Ÿ›๐ŸŽ‰

I'd love to hear more about how the Glamglow toner goes, @ShortErica. To answer your question regarding the color/purpose though, there are different uses to toner, but it's kind of an older perception that toner should be removing the last bits of makeup/dirt. That's why double cleansing is such a big thing now- ideally, your face should be free of random particles by the time you get to toner. And those toners can be for exfoliating (like this one), simply for hydrating, for prepping your face for other ingredients, etc.

ETA for grammar- I promise I do know the difference between your and you're LOL. 

@quspork this was very informative. I assumed this was more for exfoliating than cleaning and evening but toner is new to me. I am interested to try it again and will let you know. I am searching for a good 1st step for double cleansing. Currently I use some type of makeup remover (testing balms and oils) but always have to follow with a micellar water because I haven't found one that works 100% and then 2nd step of a gentle cleanser. Do you a toner and if so what one?

It's definitely trial and error to find the right makeup remover, @ShortErica! There are some people who use micellar water as their first step instead of an oil-based cleanser because it works better for them. Personally I love Shiseido's Perfect Oil. It's a little pricey, but I see it pretty often at TJMaxx and stock up when I make a point redemption purchase at Ulta. 

I go back and forth with different types of toners. My favorite light exfoliating one is Pixi's Glow Tonic. For hydrating ones, Benton (k-beauty brand) makes my favorite two - the Snail Bee High Content Skin and the Aloe BHA, which doesn't actually have much BHA nor the right pH to really exfoliate. This is why they're all so confusing, haha! I'm actually using Fresh's rose deep hydration toner right now, but am just "meh" on it so far. 

Micellar water is good at getting it off but it takes a few rounds, especially with tinted sunscreen, so I worry about how much I'm rubbing/tugging my face. Thanks for the recommendation @quspork. Like I need another reason to go to Marshall's! ๐Ÿ˜‰

I remember people discussing snail on the masking thread. What differences have you seen using it? Interesting about the rose one, I recall some people loving it. But everyone's skin is different.

Image result for snail skincare gif

Yes to all the snails, @ShortErica! I love snail mucin. For me, honestly, it's probably been the one big game changing ingredient for my skin over the last few years. As you said, of course, everyone's skin is different, but it's helped brighten and even out my complexion, especially with regards to redness and acne scarring discolorations. Plus it's very hydrating! 

I think I've used masks with it but no other products. I try to look for niacinamide to help with redness but this may be another ingredient I should hunt down @quspork. I'll look forward to more lessons in the future. ๐Ÿ™‚

@ShortErica ohh itโ€™s a shame you donโ€™t love the KAJA color. I got one in 04 Be Mine, which for the record looks nothing like the online photos. Iโ€™ll post a swatch/me actually wearing it when I get home. If they go on sale Iโ€™d recommend picking another one up! I wear mine relatively often because itโ€™s easy to grab and go, plus it keeps my lips hydrated, and stays glossy longer than I would have expected. Plus the packaging means I donโ€™t have to worry that the cap will pop off and Iโ€™ll end up with lipstick graffiti all on the inside of my bag (a very real concern for me๐Ÿ˜‚)

I know it was completely random with the shades so luck just wasn't on my side @cianni. I'm just not a sparkly girl. I do agree that the product and formula have me intrigued about other shades. I'm trying to pan some lip minis this year so maybe I'll need something new when I succeed. ๐Ÿ™‚

This is very convenient and an amazing idea @cianni! I think you deserve some bonus gratis for getting this started! ๐Ÿ™‚

LOL @ShortErica I actually have a couple things on the way in the near future that I canโ€™t wait to share!! I think I know what one is but no idea about the other. Iโ€™m the worst person for surprises, Iโ€™m so impatient!! But also so so grateful that brands and Sephora allow us to test some great new products! Itโ€™s definitely turned me on to a few things that I probably never would have even thought twice about

@cianni were you the one trying Benefit Cosmetics They're Real! Lengthening Mascara Black? I had been liking it a lot and then it was flaking on me a bit. The reason this comes to mind is a mascara is supposedly being sent my way. As mascara is probably my number one makeup product, I'm super pumped! I always admire your lashes so I think Sephora would be smart sending mascara your way as well. Just my two cents. ๐Ÿ™‚

@ShortErica Yeah! Iโ€™m just finishing up my trial of NARS Climax Mascara Explicit Black

now. Which is just in time for the mascara gratis which Iโ€™m guessing is whatโ€™s gonna arrive tomorrow based on package weight. Iโ€™ll hold off with the benefit because Iโ€™m really interested in trying the newness, Iโ€™m very curious to see if itโ€™ll dethrone my beloved TOO FACED - Better Than Sex Mascara. Plus itโ€™s probably a FS in the gratis, and I normally only buy minis to avoid half a tube drying out, so Iโ€™ll also have a tracker to see how many uses till it dried out/stopped performing as well. FYI - the climax is just ok. I like the brush but find to get really full and dark lashes, you need a bunch of coats and willingness/time to clean up everything on the lid. Iโ€™ll use it but wonโ€™t repurchase it. Itโ€™s also one of the only mascaras Iโ€™ve tried recently that even with all my cleansing oils and removers and skincare, I STILL wake up with mascara induced raccoon eyes!

I tried the Better Than Sex in a lashstash. I was honestly not expecting much because it seems to have love or hate reviews. It was actually the lowest rated in the kit. It flaked on me occasionally but generally was pretty good. I wouldn't say it's my favorite but I would use it if I had it. Thanks for the heads up about the NARS @cianni. It just doesn't sound worth the trouble.

@cianni  Thanks for making this thread! I keep forgetting to update my own gratis thread, though I think there are just 2 products I havenโ€™t reviewed there yet. But I also have earlier gratis items I can provide updates on. Iโ€™ll do that sometime this week. ๐Ÿ™‚ 

Looking forward to seeing everyoneโ€™s gratis review updates! 

Canโ€™t wait! I love your in-depth reviews, they really help me make decisions @WinglessOne ๐Ÿค— that being said....... I have been avoiding my MAC counter like the plague because Iโ€™m scared of falling in love with the liptensitys now that I know theyโ€™re potentially discontinued, but Iโ€™m thinking Iโ€™m going to cave and pick up Toast and Butter and Ginger Rose ๐Ÿคฆ๐Ÿฝโ€โ™€๏ธ 

Thanks @cianni! โ˜บ๏ธ Iโ€™m gonna go full enabler and say YES, definitely buy those 2 shades before theyโ€™re gone! ๐Ÿ™‚ 

Great idea, @cianni!  I know that I really appreciate seeing follow-up reviews from the gratis that other people receive and having a dedicated thread will make it so convenient to view everything at once.

Thanks for creating this post @cianni ! It makes it so much more convenient to view all the reviews in one place! I do have one coming up but won't get to it until I return

Great idea @cianni! Love it!

Thank you! @eshoe ๐Ÿค— i Can never remember who reviewed what and when, so much easier to have everything in one place 

This is a great thread idea. ๐Ÿ˜Š I got a couple offers of gratis this month so Iโ€™ll have to remember to come back here after they arrive.

3 Replies
testing