Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Pan It! - 2024 Challenge

Welcome to Year 7 of our Pan It! Challenge ElleElleG_0-1704168084184.gif

ElleElleG_9-1704168647118.jpeg

The "Rules"

To accommodate a variety of interests, you all are encouraged to pick items to pan that are most suitable to your collections.  For some, this might mean focusing on a particular type of product (like lipstick) and for others this may include a larger variety spanning your entire makeup or skincare routine.

Getting Started (please share the following)

• Which item(s) you would like to work on
  • How long you will work on said item
  • Goal: explore a new item, revisit an old item, decide whether to keep pass or trash, and/or completely finish item, etc.
  • Starting photo of item

Please Use This Thread To...

• share what item(s) you are working on,
  • provide comparative progress photos of your item(s) monthly (at the beginning of the month when possible),
  • ask questions,
  • encourage others,
  • motivate others with the looks you create with your item(s)

Tips and Tricks to Panning/Getting Some Use Out of Your Stash:

Spoiler
  • Take photos!!  When you think you aren’t making a dent in anything look back at those photos, I’m certain you’ll see some changes 😃 *this is the number one recommendation for everyone, regardless of how long you’ve been panning! Those photos add up and can help you realize progress you might otherwise overlook.
  • If you goal is to hit pan or use something up entirely, try concentrating your brush/applicator in the same area each time you use it
  • Multitask your products: eyeshadows as highlighter, lipstick as blush, eyeshadow as brow powder, etc. 
  • Layer eyeshadow to create different colors (this is especially helpful to get use out of shades you’re not fond of).
  • Have shadows with a ton of fall out?  Use water
  • Watching the progress of others’ can be fun but try not compare your progress to theirs.  We all use our makeup differently and have different goals.
  • Don’t restrict yourself to only using the item(s) you are working on.  It’s more than OK to incorporate other items or take a break!
  • Makeup should be fun….if you begin to dread doing your makeup because you made a commitment to use a product that you now hate, TOSS IT!  Do not force yourself to use up something you don’t like.  Move on to something else!  (This includes excluding particular shades from your goals if focusing on palettes, etc.)

Ideas to Help You Pan Those Items:

Spoiler
  • Roll the dice: number your items and use a random number generator to pick what you will use each (day/week/month/etc.) 
  • Layer/Mask: items you are less fond of under things you like
  • Pan a Look: at the beginning of the week pick a look that you can wear everyday
  • Recreate: a look worn by a fellow BICer, celebrity, etc.
  • Spice up an "everyday" look by adding subtle pops of color (in the crease or on the lower lash line, mix lip products to make shades wearable, etc.)

Past Panning Challenges:

Pan It! - 2023 Challenge

Pan It! - 2022 Challenge

Re: Pan It! - 2024 Challenge

"The thing is, there is always something new I want to try so I have quite the collection of products that I need to get through." I feel like this would resonate with a so many of us on BIC @Mellmars1185! What would you say are the top 2 or 3 product categories that are the hardest for you to resist purchasing?

@itsfi Ooohh good question. I would say I am always looking for a good texturizing spray, dry shampoo and heat protector.

Edit - and leave in conditioner!

Ahhh, great beauty categories @Mellmars1185; I've been seeing more and more of those goodies being released. What are current "go to"s for those?

For leave-in, have you tried Ceremonia Guava Hydrating Leave-In Conditioner 6.7 oz / 200 mL? My hair has really liked the products in their guava line that I've tried so far. At some point, I want to try their guava hair mask. But first, I have to make a bigger dent in the hair masks currently in my rotation. 😅

@itsfi I have not tried the Ceremonia yet...was that in the Sephoria swag bag? Right now my 'Go to' are the following (but they may change)

Texturizing Spray - Bumble and bumble Thickening Dryspun Texture Spray Light 

Dry Shampoo - amika Perk Up Dry Shampoo 

Leave In Conditioner - Moroccanoil All in One Leave-In Conditioner 5.4 oz/ 160 mL 

Heat Protector - I use the Redken one but lately I have been loving Bumble and bumble Hairdresser’s Invisible Oil Heat Protectant Leave In Conditioner Primer 8.5 oz/ 250 mL 

They are what I have open right now. The Amika is a repurchase. For my next texturizing spray I am going to use the Oribe (which is new to me).

What about you?

@Mellmars1185, no, the Ceremonia product from the SEPHORiA swag bag is the Ceremonia Guava Rescue Hair Heat Protectant Spray 6.7 oz / 200 mL which I like, but I don't know yet if it's necessarily a love. I feel like I need to try other heat protectant products before making that determination. 

Texturizing Spray - Oribe Dry Texturizing Spray 8.5 oz/ 300mL - for me, it's the 🐐. I have repurchased this time and time again and I feel like it makes it onto a monthly favorites list every year. Would love to hear how it performs for you - good or bad. 

Dry Shampoo - yes, yes & yes to amika Perk Up Dry Shampoo, another 🐐. I tried the Perk Plus but felt that the original performed better. 

Leave In Conditioner - Except for the last few months, it has been ages since I've used a leave-in conditioner. Back then, I liked Nexxus Humectress and the original version of the It's a 10 Leave In. These days, I've been using and enjoying the Ceremonia Guava Hydrating Leave-In Conditioner 6.7 oz / 200 mL💗

As for heat protectant, I'm still a newbie when it comes to what's currently on the market. I have the Ceremonia Rescue Hair from Sephoria and I have waiting in the wings, hair protectant products from Kerastase, Pureology & R+Co Bleu. I should probably set them all out and then set aside a few weeks to just try them. Thanks for the inspiration; will make a note to give that a shot sooner rather than later.

@itsfi Do you blow dry or style with heat often?

@Mellmars1185, I rarely blow dry my hair, unless I'm testing a product that requires me to blow dry my hair. This morning was the first time this year and that's only because I was on the phone and lost track of time when I was getting ready this morning and had somewhere I needed to be. Before that? Probably when we were in NYC for Sephoria - yeah, it's been a while. 🤣 

I've been using a curling iron more frequently though - fall/winter 2023, I curled my hair about 4-5x per week. This year, less so, maybe on average 2-3x per week. 

Oh I am late in posting this years challenge 

I did the photos on 1/17/24 .  
This year I am still working on some of the makeup products from last year.  
I can’t decide this year which colors from my Born To Run palette that I want to use.   Right now I just want to get some use out of it 

And I added some skincare and hair care this year 

IMG_3303.jpeg

I hit pan on Makeup by Mario bronzer but I want to try and use it up by years end.  And same goes for the SAIE skin tint.   The others I just want to keep getting more use out of them and keep the little divits getting bigger 

IMG_3301.jpeg

 I just hope to use up the Caudalie moisturizer by June as I have a Tatcha one that I like for summer. The Tatcha skin mask is so nice and I hope to have it done by June too. The Farmacy products I hope to use one up by June too.  And the eye creams will continue until the end of the year. 

IMG_3302.jpeg

The eye creams I actually weigh on my digital scale 

The Avene was 1.9 ounces.  The Strivectin was 1.2 ounces.  

IMG_3299.jpeg

 And I am hoping by the end of February that these foils are done 

IMG_3306.jpeg

 I love Tresor scent for winter so I hope to keep using it for 2 months more.  And the hair serum from JVN  leave in hair milk is wonderful for my hair 

Thats what I’m using for now!

OMG @Cissy63 , the Born to Run ... I wanted that palette so bad and only used it a handful of times before it was shoved in a box somewhere 🤦🏾‍♀️. Looking forward to your updates!

@ElleElleG   I know how you feel 😃.  When I first bought it, I used it so often and loved it so much 🩷.  I wanted bring it back and see how I can incorporate the shades with my newer palettes 🩷

@Cissy63 Weighing them is such a great idea. Good luck!

@abstraktgirl  thank you 😊.  I hope I see some changes on the scale ⬇️⬇️

@Cissy63 Just think how good it will feel to post them!

Yesssss! You hit pan @Cissy63! 🙌🏼 Must feel so good! You have some fantastic products here. 😍 I love the Tatcha and JVN too. 💜

@itsfi  Thank you!  I was surprised when it happened but very glad 😃 

Wow @Cissy63 ! Love your tracking method! I have the MAKEUP BY MARIO SoftSculpt® Bronzer that I hit pan on LAST YEAR and I use it almost every other day AND YET, I JUST CANT SEEM TO FINISH IT! what is this sorcery?!?!

@jaaayp  Thank you 😊.  I’m going to see if I can finish it by year’s end 🤞🤞

@Cissy63 wow you have done s great job using your stash

@CorgiMommy  Thank you!  

Great items to use! I love that tatcha mask @Cissy63 

@lmaster  Thanks!  Oh yes😊. My skin really does like Tatcha products 🩷

2 Replies
Conversation Stats