Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Pan It! - 2022 Challenge

Welcome to the Pan It Challenge, 2022 Edition!!

I'm claiming a 2022 that's greater than our wildest imaginations, also for my longtimers this will be our FIFTH YEAR doing this challenge. Thanks to all who've stuck around and everyone who's tested themselves and jumped into the madness. You all are amazing 😘

ElleElleG_0-1641013614552.jpeg

The "Rules"

To accommodate a variety of interests, you all are encouraged to pick items to pan that are most suitable to your collections.  For some, this might mean focusing on a particular type of product (like lipstick) and for others this may include a larger variety spanning your entire makeup or skincare routine.

Getting Started (please share the following)

• Which item(s) you would like to work on
  • How long you will work on said item
  • Goal: explore a new item, revisit an old item, decide whether to keep pass or trash, and/or completely finish item, etc.
  • Starting photo of item

Please Use This Thread To...

• share what item(s) you are working on,
  • provide comparative progress photos of your item(s) monthly (at the beginning of the month when possible),
  • ask questions,
  • encourage others,
  • motivate others with the looks you create with your item(s)

Tips and Tricks to Panning/Getting Some Use Out of Your Stash:

Spoiler
  • Take photos!!  When you think you aren’t making a dent in anything look back at those photos, I’m certain you’ll see some changes 😃
  • If you goal is to hit pan or use something up entirely, try concentrating your brush/applicator in the same area each time you use it
  • Multitask your products: eyeshadows as highlighter, lipstick as blush, eyeshadow as brow powder, etc. 
  • Layer eyeshadow to create different colors (this is especially helpful to get use out of shades you’re not fond of).
  • Have shadows with a ton of fall out?  Use water
  • Watching the progress of others’ can be fun but try not compare your progress to theirs.  We all use our makeup differently and have different goals.
  • Don’t restrict yourself to only using the item(s) you are working on.  It’s more than OK to incorporate other items or take a break!
  • Makeup should be fun….if you begin to dread doing your makeup because you made a commitment to use a product that you now hate, TOSS IT!  Do not force yourself to use up something you don’t like.  Move on to something else!  (This includes excluding particular shades from your goals if focusing on palettes, etc.)

Ideas to Help You Pan Those Items:

Spoiler
  • Roll the dice: number your items and use a random number generator to pick what you will use each (day/week/month/etc.) 
  • Layer/Mask: items you are less fond of under things you like
  • Pan a Look: at the beginning of the week pick a look that you can wear everyday
  • Recreate: a look worn by a fellow BICer, celebrity, etc.
  • Spice up an "everyday" look by adding subtle pops of color (in the crease or on the lower lash line, mix lip products to make shades wearable, etc.)

Past Panning Challenges:

Spoiler

Re: Pan It! - 2022 Challenge

2022 Project Pan Finale*

*It seems a bit generous to call it a finale when I didn't really post all year except for the beginning 😅

Where it started: 

GridArt_20230102_014029383.jpg

-Fully use these two liquid shadows.

-Hit pan in both shades of the Kosas blush duo.

-Hit "pan" (aka purple planet) in the Hourglass Highlighter.

-Finish these 4 lippies, 2 foundations and 1 loose powder. 

-Rolling blush pan of my cream blushes.

Where it ended: 

Screenshot_20230102-102831.png

Spoiler
PXL_20230102_064200817~2.jpg

The Wander Beauty dried up, but I used most of it; and the Stila poof fell off, but I'd used most of it. I'm happy with where these ended up.

-Fully use these two liquid shadows.

Success, with caveats above in the spoiler. Glad I showed the Stila some more love. I didn't love the Wander Beauty product, it definitely didn't stay on my eyes. 

-Hit pan in both shades of the Kosas blush duo.

Clear unambiguous win. I love the blush topper shade in this especially.

-Hit "pan" (aka purple planet) in the Hourglass Highlighter.

I just had so many pretty highlighters that I didn't reach for this as much; I started using it as a base in the back quarter of the year to get more use. Putting it in the pan for next year.

-Finish these 4 lippies, 2 foundations and 1 loose powder.

Lippies

I'm going to count this as two wins even though one isn't quite done.

I'm moving on from the Buxom pink lippie crayon pencil, I got a fair amount of use of it but I haven't been reaching for pinks and this formula was a little crayon-y last year. The beige one is almost done and I'm going to finish it in the new year. I wouldn't wear this on its own, but to fill in my lips.

Huzzah to finishing the the MUFE (I mean there's still some in the component that I might depot, since I love this formula). I love this color and discontinued formula. I reached for this a lot, but it still took a while to finish. Glad I did while it was still good.

I made okay progress in the RMS lippie. I made it a bit over halfway, I think. It was a color I wasnt reaching for as much, and it started out with a weird smell (they all do) , but then the texture got hard and it was becoming a bit of a pain. I'm decluttering this, happy with the use I got out of it.

Foundations

Finished these both; I think, in as much as use can be ascertained in the cushion. I just powered through the L'Oreal (gifted from TopBox) since I didn't love it and wanted to use other foundations. I was savoring the YSL a little bit and almost didn't finish, but I used it exclusively towards the end of the year. I'm going to clean the compact out and use it store something else cause it's just too pretty.

Powder

Finished this and a Laura Mercier mini I thought I also had in my pan but isn't in any pictures. I'm not a powder girl. Or at least a shimmer finishing powder girl. I'm starting to like a translucent setting powder under my eyes and a non sparkly finishing powder, but these ones mostly sat in my pores and were a struggle to get through. Glad they're done!

-Rolling blush pan of my cream blushes.

I kinda did this? I stopped tracking after the first bit but I go through my cream blushes pretty regularly and often later two shades.

-The bronzer that never ends.

I STILL haven't finished this mini bronzer pan. While I did reach for cream bronzers a lot this year, I used this Lise Watier a ton. I repressed it twice. The lid is separated (but still clips on, just had broken off). There is still powder left. I will finish it.

PXL_20230102_062929327~3.jpg

So that's 7.5 successes, 3.5 losses and 1 never ending product. I'm happy with the progress.

What I learned:

I will never keep track throughout the whole year of a rolling pan, no matter how much I want to. In a classic ADHD move, I fixated, did it for a bit and then stopped. This year has been tough and I definitely didn't have extra energy to keep up with it. I know I love most of my cream blushes so my intention is just to keep using them and focusing on any that are getting older.

I hit a road block with the lippies; for the RMS one, the color didn't work all of the time and I just didn't want to use it so I just wasn't. And that's okay, but it kept me from making progress on the MUFE one, since I didn't want to show it too much love. I dunno.  I just also have SO many lippies (peep the 

❄️December 2022 Challenge - 12 Days of Makeup Inventory - Show Off and Catalog Your Collection!!❄️ for just how many) and I want to show them all some love more. 

I think I made good progress in the rest by just consistently using base products and having my eye ones visible made me incorporate them into my looks more often. 

I'm excited for the Pan It! - 2023 Challenge !! 

Omg @haleyvvvv @I’m so impressed. You did a super job 👍👌👏

You did great work this year @haleyvvvv 

It's sooooo hard to use up all the products and look at all the progress you made 👏 🥳 Good job and congratulations on your hard work on these! 

@haleyvvvv You did great work!! That YSL is way too pretty to toss, I don't blame you!

Wow, you did amazing work in 2022 with you panning @haleyvvvv! 😍 You are going to finish that bronzer this year! How rewarding. As for it being a finale, it most certainly is. If you have a beginning, which you did, there needs to be an end. And what a great ending you had with your pan challenge! 

Thank you, @itsfi!! 

Haha, that bronzer has been in my project pan for two years (pan in the first one and finish in the second); I am definitely going to finish it this year gosh darnit. 

Last 2022 pan it! Both the lipstick and hair serum have a tiny bit left but I will put them to bed 😘 All these are well loved. 
36C51CB4-B2A6-4EF3-8367-1A01B19C7F51.jpeg

Excellent work @blackkitty2014 😄 

Thx you @CynthieLu @Samtian @itsfi @haleyvvvv  🌹

@blackkitty2014 Woo great job!!!

Impressive @blackkitty2014! 😍 That TF lipstick is so pretty and I like that Kerastase serum. 

Fabulous finale, @blackkitty2014!! That lipstick looks so well loved!! Congratulations!! 

Happy New Year, y’all! I’m going to try to post the new thread shortly 🤞🏾 but if it doesn’t post it’ll be up tomorrow night 

@ElleElleG WOOO!

Ohhhh yeeaaaahhh! Thank you @ElleElleG! Looking forward to another year of panning! Happy New Year to you and yours! 🎉 

Last day of 2022, panners! 
 12.31.2022 Update12.31.2022 Update
12.31.2022 Pan - ND.jpg
MONTHLY SUMMARY
* Two more products used up! Yessss! We are bidding adieu to the Tom Ford Foundation and the Sephora Collection hair scrub. Neither will be repurchased - the TF has been discontinued (RIP) and I have plenty of hair scrubs I need to make my way through before even thinking about picking up another one. 
* Progress continues on the Natasha Denona Biba Eyeshadow Palette but at a much slower pace. I'll get back on track with reaching for it with more regularity next year. 

YEAR-END WRAP UP
Lesson(s) Learned: I can repurpose my powder products into nail polish or loose powder; and my cream products into a tinted lip balm. Those two things will come in handy.
Proudest Pan Moment: 11.22.2022 - I finished the Tusk shadow from the Natasha Denona Biba Eyeshadow Palette. That was 2 years, 10 months and 22 days in the making! 
Looking back: I was a bit too ambitious with my plan to pan 22 products in 2022. That being said, it was still a good year for panning.

* 2022 Final Pan Count: Out of 22 products, I was able to meet my goals for 16 of them! (Details in spoiler)
Spoiler
1.  Natasha Denona Biba Palette - full pan Tusk - DONE  11/22/2022

2.  Natasha Denona Biba Palette - full pan Monroe

3.  Natasha Denona Biba Palette - full pan Shine

4.  Natasha Denona Biba Palette - pan Seed - DONE 10/2022 

5.  belif eye cream - DONE 10/2022 

6.  Touch in Sol No Poreblem makeup primer - DONE 6/2022   

7.  Tom Ford Soleil Foundation - DONE 12/2022  

8.  Guerlain lip balm - DONE 10/2022 

9.  Doll Hospytal lipstick - SWAPPED OUT - Westman Atelier Lip Suedes Les Nudes 

10. Innisfree lip sleeping mask - DONE 9/2022  

11. Farmacy Very Cherry Bright vitamin C serum - DONE 7/2022  

12. Kiehl's Creme de Corps lotion - DONE 10/2022 

13. Essie cuticle oil * - DONE 10/2022 

14. amika Triple Rx Hair Mask * - DONE 11/2022 

15. Hourglass highlighter - DONE 10/2022 

16. Chanel lip liner 

17. Trader Joe's grapefruit scrub * - DONE 11/2022 

18. Sephora Collection hair scrub - DONE 12/2022 

19. tarte Paarty blush 

20. Kosas Cloud Set Baked Setting Powder - hit pan 

21. Sephora Collection Cream blush - 1 blush - hit pan - DONE 10/2022 

22. Floral Street Sunflower Pop Eau de Parfum roller ball* - DONE 6/2022  

Next Move(s): Finalize plans for next year's project pan. I don't really have much time left, do I? 😅  All good. I think I'm pretty much settled on my goals and targets for the Pan It! 2023 Challenge. Will take one last look later today and then take a photo of my 2023 project pan products. 

Congratulations on all you hard work @itsfi wow you are so dedicated and it shows ‌💗‌ great work this year! I really enjoyed reading your finale and lessons and tips, thank you!

Thank you @CynthieLu! Working on panning products has been rewarding and eye opening. 

@itsfi Watching your progress of that palette and having mental races in my head of which shades are hitting pan first, is always a highlight to my year. I cannot wait to watch what you do next year! And you've done a lot this year! I also need to now know the tinted lip balm trick... 😄

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
Photos343
  • ElleElleG_0-1641013614552.jpeg
  • A15495AA-E953-4061-8926-557AE53A9B64.jpeg
  • E3930FCF-77AC-42DD-B512-0B1531126F01.jpeg
  • EFD870EE-BD61-47EF-B867-BEA9B67D32DD.jpeg
  • BTE + UTNG
  • Dec Perfume Pan.jpg
  • Ulta Eyeliner Pan Project.jpg
  • B2E72D87-03E7-4091-ACB8-EE6B85CC58F9.jpeg
  • yearlong, base minis, CoC, palette