Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Pan It! - 2022 Challenge

Welcome to the Pan It Challenge, 2022 Edition!!

I'm claiming a 2022 that's greater than our wildest imaginations, also for my longtimers this will be our FIFTH YEAR doing this challenge. Thanks to all who've stuck around and everyone who's tested themselves and jumped into the madness. You all are amazing 😘

ElleElleG_0-1641013614552.jpeg

The "Rules"

To accommodate a variety of interests, you all are encouraged to pick items to pan that are most suitable to your collections.  For some, this might mean focusing on a particular type of product (like lipstick) and for others this may include a larger variety spanning your entire makeup or skincare routine.

Getting Started (please share the following)

• Which item(s) you would like to work on
  • How long you will work on said item
  • Goal: explore a new item, revisit an old item, decide whether to keep pass or trash, and/or completely finish item, etc.
  • Starting photo of item

Please Use This Thread To...

• share what item(s) you are working on,
  • provide comparative progress photos of your item(s) monthly (at the beginning of the month when possible),
  • ask questions,
  • encourage others,
  • motivate others with the looks you create with your item(s)

Tips and Tricks to Panning/Getting Some Use Out of Your Stash:

Spoiler
  • Take photos!!  When you think you aren’t making a dent in anything look back at those photos, I’m certain you’ll see some changes 😃
  • If you goal is to hit pan or use something up entirely, try concentrating your brush/applicator in the same area each time you use it
  • Multitask your products: eyeshadows as highlighter, lipstick as blush, eyeshadow as brow powder, etc. 
  • Layer eyeshadow to create different colors (this is especially helpful to get use out of shades you’re not fond of).
  • Have shadows with a ton of fall out?  Use water
  • Watching the progress of others’ can be fun but try not compare your progress to theirs.  We all use our makeup differently and have different goals.
  • Don’t restrict yourself to only using the item(s) you are working on.  It’s more than OK to incorporate other items or take a break!
  • Makeup should be fun….if you begin to dread doing your makeup because you made a commitment to use a product that you now hate, TOSS IT!  Do not force yourself to use up something you don’t like.  Move on to something else!  (This includes excluding particular shades from your goals if focusing on palettes, etc.)

Ideas to Help You Pan Those Items:

Spoiler
  • Roll the dice: number your items and use a random number generator to pick what you will use each (day/week/month/etc.) 
  • Layer/Mask: items you are less fond of under things you like
  • Pan a Look: at the beginning of the week pick a look that you can wear everyday
  • Recreate: a look worn by a fellow BICer, celebrity, etc.
  • Spice up an "everyday" look by adding subtle pops of color (in the crease or on the lower lash line, mix lip products to make shades wearable, etc.)

Past Panning Challenges:

Spoiler

Re: Pan It! - 2022 Challenge

@ElleElleG Thank you 🙂

@QueenMarceline Can't wait to see what you select!

@Samtian I'm almost done with my selections 🙂 should be up by tonight or tomorrow.

@QueenMarceline yay!!!

@QueenMarceline -- looking forward to seeing your pan picks!

@heavyhedon Thank you 🙂

These are what I need to work on during 2022 😘

5BBCC978-46B6-4E51-BFE3-1AB3167B4D9D.jpeg
I love these scents so they should be easy to work on. I feel liked a young girl whenever I’m wearing these 😂🤣. I need to keep my total perfume less than 100 bottles 🤣😂

0C4E01AF-00D3-4063-9C1D-32F5ACD9D70F.jpeg
The CT filter needs to go. I have it for a while. Chop chop

9E866CA5-796D-4519-8EEE-9304450290B5.jpeg
I failed miserably panning eyeshadow in 21. Hopefully I will do a better job in 22

EF3E9AB6-3D8A-4577-A546-947FF56B2E7F.jpeg
These face products need to be done too. I have them a while also. Lip product project will be posted soon 😘

@blackkitty2014 We are hear to cheer you on! Those are beautiful I can't wait to watch!

Thx you @Samtian @haleyvvvv 🌹

Great panning items, @blackkitty2014!! You got this on the eyeshadow!! 

@blackkitty2014 Gorgeous group of products to work on! I love the CT flawless filter!

Thx you @BluePaisley . I have many products similar to CT filter. All of them are neglected so I need to work on at least 1 this year 😍

@blackkitty2014 cheers to fragrances that make you feel young!  lol Looks like a great assortment of loved products!

Thx you @missjeanie 🌹❤️

@blackkitty2014 What a great idea to have a couple products in each category, so you don't get bored easily. I'm loving all the Tom Ford products that will get more attention in 2022, that foundation looks almost done too! 

Thx @AznAngelLiz . Let’s pan some more in 2022 🤣😂

@blackkitty2014 -- pretty pretty stuff, I see you have your work cut out for you, or you've cut your work out for you, haha. This is the year to make it disappear!

Thx you @heavyhedon . I need a push ❤️🌹

Thanks for the tag. @ElleElleG! I am going to go through my collection and pull my best pan possibilities! Definitely will be working on my UD Basics that I got a good start on panning.... 2020! Haha

Building on what I learned through last year’s challenge, I’m doing a Rolling Pan with several tiers.

First, a handful of items I’ll be working on throughout, knowing I won’t finish most of them, but maybe a couple:

Mini Urban Decay Eyeshadow primer Potion in Original-- This one stays in till it’s done! There’s about half left.

Mini Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector in Opal— Again, I am intending to use this one up. A bit less than half left now.

ELF Hydrating Water Essence— has been open for more than a year; planning to use as much as possible this year, then toss.  The baseline on this is just a tad under the brand name on the bottle.

Pixi by Petra Brow Powder Palette—Use till the end of year, then toss & likely re-purchase. Love this old thing, it’s already showing lots of pan from years of use, but wouldn’t pan in all the shades be great?

ELF Tone Correcting Powder in Cool—Intend to triple the pan, minimum.  Had this for ages & fully killed off the Warm version a few years back. It’s just not the best powder for my skin these days (aging!), but I think it can work for my under eyes, and I may even grind it up to use loose for a better consistency. Once I’ve tripled the tiny spot of pan, I’ll know if this is worth using AMAP, or a waste of otherwise good makeup days.

Too Faced Sweet Peach Eyeshadow Palette in shade Bellini (shown with a swatch of paper on)— one of my oldest non-vintage palettes. Going to try for pan in Bellini, randomly chosen by rolling a D20; then cycle in a different palette for the same process. I have a few palettes in mind, and Sweet Peach may cycle back in for a second shade choice, if/when I have such success.  But I’m not interested in panning a full palette this year.

Spoiler
yearlong, base minis, CoC, paletteyearlong, base minis, CoC, paletteThe chosen onesThe chosen onespan it 22 014.JPG

Secondly, I have two bags full of makeup samples to deal with, one of Face samplers, one of Lip samplers. I’m counting each brand’s sample as one, whether there’s five shades or 1. The plan is to try a minimum of one sample per week from each bag, face & lip. Letting myself use a sample once and then toss is hard for me, so this will help quash that problem. I may of course use several shades from any given sample, but not going to force myself to use every shade or every drop. The point is to try some new colors/formulas and move on.  There’s about 20 lip samplers and 32 face samplers, so if I finish in good time, I may roll in skincare or scent samples afterwards. I don’t expect to receive many new samples this year, but any applicable to this project will be added as they arrive. 

Spoiler
Call me a hoarder!Call me a hoarder!lots-o-liplots-o-lip

Third Tier is also sampling, sort of, in the form of minis. I have 7 or more foundation minis, all tried, but not sure how I feel about 5 of them:

LOCK Color Lock it Good Foundation in 1 Fair Beige

Wander Beauty Nude Illusion Liquid Foundation in Fair Light

Smashbox Studio Skin 24 hour Wear Hydrating Foundation in 1.05

PUR 4-in-1 love Your Selfie Longwear Foundation & Concealer in LN2

Tarte Maracuja Tinted Hydrator in 10N Fair Neutral

Spoiler
do i love them or not?do i love them or not?

My plan is to cycle through them all using each 5 times minimum to decide whether they stay in my stash or go. Would like to finish them all up, but if a base isn’t working, I’m not gonna stress over tossing- -this one is about learning my preferences in regards to various formulas & shades.

Fourth & most fun tier:  My seasonal pans keep me going and allow for some whimsy, so I’m doing them all year, including meta seasons. These will comprise a mix of usage based goals & use-up goals to help me tour and enjoy many parts of my collection, while still getting some serious panning done.

To start the year we have 🎄The Colors of Christmas🎍, running from now through Feb. 2nd. My choice of said colors is pretty simple; Red, Green, Gold, Silver, Snowy, and any Jewel tones may apply.  

Our starting line-up:

L’oreal Voluminous Original Mascara in Deep Green and Burgundy- finishing these off, I hope.

Mini Ciate London Glitter Flip Liquid Lipstick in Infamous (red)—I think I can finish this in a few weeks.

Mini Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Liner for Eyes in Space Dust (gold)--  3x minimum use.

Mini Sally Beauty Liner for Eyes in Silver—3x minimum use.  

Spoiler
pan it 22 006.JPG

As goals are met, I’ll roll in another item, except with the foundation minis; that tier will end when I have used up or tossed them all. I’ve invested in a notepad for keeping track of roll-ins & uses. I’ve got ideas for products to roll in, and for the next couple of seasonal pans when CoC is over. I’m set to focus on panning items during Monday-PanDay or Tuesday-PanDay every week. I’m brimming with excitement and so, so much makeup.

Good luck on our panning, my friends, let’s do this thing!  

*please note, the cute printed January page calendar in all pics is by Document Treasures on Etsy.  

@heavyhedon Ooh I love Bellini! I am always impressed by your rolling projects. 

17 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos343
  • ElleElleG_0-1641013614552.jpeg
  • A15495AA-E953-4061-8926-557AE53A9B64.jpeg
  • E3930FCF-77AC-42DD-B512-0B1531126F01.jpeg
  • EFD870EE-BD61-47EF-B867-BEA9B67D32DD.jpeg
  • BTE + UTNG
  • Dec Perfume Pan.jpg
  • Ulta Eyeliner Pan Project.jpg
  • B2E72D87-03E7-4091-ACB8-EE6B85CC58F9.jpeg
  • yearlong, base minis, CoC, palette