cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Pan It! - 2020 Challenge!

2021 Challenge located here: Pan It! - 2021 Challenge 🏆

It's time for a new decade, and a new Project Pan!

Before we dive into the details, I want to thank each and every one of you for joining me in another year of panning.  I cannot believe that this thread marks the 4th year of this challenge and how much it has grown over the years.  It's been a joy to witness so many of you participate and encourage others along the way.  For those of you thinking, "there's no way I can do that," think again!  We've all said that at one time or another, and some of the biggest skeptics have grown to take panning by storm.  Thank you all for your never ending inspiration 😘. Cheers to a new decade 🥂-Elle

Image result for hello 2020

The "Rules"

To accommodate a variety of interests, you all are encouraged to pick items to pan that are most suitable to your collections.  For some, this might mean focusing on a particular type of product (like lipstick) and for others this may include a larger variety spanning your entire makeup or skincare routine.

Getting Started (please share the following)

• Which item(s) you would like to work on
  • How long you will work on said item
  • Goal: explore a new item, revisit an old item, decide whether to keep pass or trash, and/or completely finish item, etc.
  • Starting photo of item

Please Use This Thread To...

• share what item(s) you are working on,
  • provide comparative progress photos of your item(s) monthly (at the beginning of the month when possible),
  • ask questions,
  • encourage others,
  • motivate others with the looks you create with your item(s)

Tips and Tricks to Panning/Getting Some Use Out of Your Stash:

Spoiler
  • Take photos!!  When you think you aren’t making a dent in anything look back at those photos, I’m certain you’ll see some changes 😃
  • If you goal is to hit pan or use something up entirely, try concentrating your brush/applicator in the same area each time you use it
  • Multitask your products: eyeshadows as highlighter, lipstick as blush, eyeshadow as brow powder, etc. 
  • Layer eyeshadow to create different colors (this is especially helpful to get use out of shades you’re not fond of).
  • Have shadows with a ton of fall out?  Use water
  • Watching the progress of others’ can be fun but try not compare your progress to theirs.  We all use our makeup differently and have different goals.
  • Don’t restrict yourself to only using the item(s) you are working on.  It’s more than OK to incorporate other items or take a break!
  • Makeup should be fun….if you begin to dread doing your makeup because you made a commitment to use a product that you now hate, TOSS IT!  Do not force yourself to use up something you don’t like.  Move on to something else!  (This includes excluding particular shades from your goals if focusing on palettes, etc.)

Ideas to Help You Pan Those Items:

Spoiler
  • Roll the dice: number your items and use a random number generator to pick what you will use each (day/week/month/etc.) 
  • Layer/Mask: items you are less fond of under things you like
  • Pan a Look: at the beginning of the week pick a look that you can wear everyday
  • Recreate: a look worn by a fellow BICer, celebrity, etc.
  • Spice up an "everyday" look by adding subtle pops of color (in the crease or on the lower lash line, mix lip products to make shades wearable, etc.)

Past Panning Challenges:

Spoiler

Re: Pan It! - 2020 Challenge!

@itsfi It smells amazing!

28D4A978-DD8A-46D1-B10E-D696CF55264E.jpeg
I finish these technically last month but too lazy to post. They are well loved. I need to trash them and move onto 100+ lip items before they all go bad 😂🤣 Goodbye PMG lipglosses and TF lipsticks. You served me well 😘

@blackkitty2014 how do you finish all these lippies? How long does it take you to go through one?

@sprocketta  I went through the mini PMG pretty quickly (couple months). The TF lipsticks are Lips and Boys size which is 2/3 of a full-size lipstick and double the size of the deluxe sample. I love Marissa (pink nude) so I finish that within a year but I have Eric (metallic brown red) for a while probably 3 yrs or so. I don’t use them every day but pretty often. I need to show everyone my next project (panning couple more lipsticks) 😘

@blackkitty2014 that's still impressive! I've only panned a couple lippies myself. Nothing expensive either. Goals!

Wow NICE it's so hard to finish FS lip products!!!

Wow @blackkitty2014! 🙌🏼 You did great! 😃 And those are some fabulous project pan products! 😍😍😍

Thx you @itsfi Heart

I love this thread! I organized my eye shadow palettes and I've realized I've got a problem LOL. I really do not need another palette probably for the rest of my life. I'm hoping this thread will help me use what I have. Now's the time for me to reduce my spending and focus on what I have. Thank you @ElleElleG for starting this thread.

You're more than welcome @AMK721 ! I'm always curious to see what people own and which formula(s) they end up preferring over others.  Excited to see your journey!

Here's my progress for April! Finished my DS Tatcha Plum Blossom Lipstick and my FS Tatcha Cherry Blossom Lip Liner, also made some progress on my Akar lip balm. Love the formula for the lipstick and lipliner but was getting a reaction to the lip liner sadly. 

The lipstick is not a color I normally lean towards but it really grew on me with use.

Everything else in my 2020 project pan I took a break from in April. I was able to work on a few smaller things like finishing up foil samples not in this project; happy to say I’ve been able to finish almost all my shampoo/conditioner foils and about half of those never-ending fragrance samples.

image0 (1).jpeg

Wow! 👍🏼 Great job @xcicee! I didn’t even know Tatcha made a lip liner. 🤷🏻‍♀️ That’s impressive that you’ve gone through so many of your shampoo / conditioner foils and those fragrance samples!!! 😃 Never ending is right! Have you discovered any shampoo / conditioner or fragrances that you’ll pick up in a full size?

@itsfi  Thank you!! I got the liner in their cherry blossom lip set a few years ago, not sure if they made it permanent or not. It was super creamy and nice, I could wear it as lipstick. 

Yes I've placed a few more orders and more fragrance samples have rolled in as I've been rolling them out haha, including cleaning around and finding a few more smh. I actually have the full size alterna caviar moisture repair that I really like! Of the samples I tried, Oribe gold lust was my next favorite. I used the Verb Ghost set for a a year but I think it stripped my hair - I suddenly found a ton of split ends last fall, not sure if it was just that but I think my hair feels better after starting Alterna. 

Hi lovelies! 👋🏼 I hope everyone is doing well and keeping safe. 
April 2020 Updates: Overall a good month. 🙌🏼 Here’s what things look like as we start May!Making some traction on these beauties ... Slowly but surely...Making some traction on these beauties ... Slowly but surely...

Spoiler
The cuticle oil has really come in handy; I want to work on being more consistent with using it still - right now, it's hit or miss. One week will be great - once every day; but then the next two, I'm lucky if I remember to apply it once the entire week. Sigh. I'll hopefully get to a happy medium. 

This Kerastase hair treatment remains something I use once per week. I'd like to get it to twice per week, so that'll be my plan for May. Gotta get into the habit of reaching for this one more frequently.

Speaking of habits, I've been using the Origins mask about once every 7-10 days on my forehead, nose, around my mouth, chin, jawline and neck and it seems to be doing a good job (along with the DDG Spectralite Faceware Pro) of keeping the breakouts and clogged pores at bay. If I lose track of time, it causes a bit of tightness on my cheeks so I haven't been applying it to that area lately. 

Reached for the ND palette everyday in April. The Tarte blush remains a work in progress, but saw more play time last month and hoping to keep to that trend this month.Reached for the ND palette everyday in April. The Tarte blush remains a work in progress, but saw more play time last month and hoping to keep to that trend this month.

Spoiler
I hit pan!!! *squee!!! I was super excited when I hit pan on the Tusk shadow from the Natasha Denona Biba Palette! It happened April 4 and I let out an audible squeal of delight when I realized what I had done. I plan to continue using Tusk - it's an everyday shade for me, but I'll also turn some attention to a few other shades in the palette, including Monroe and Shine which have been early favorites. 

I've been using Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-Hour Blush Paaarty once or twice per week this entire month. Hardly enough to make any noticeable change in the pan, but I'm pleased that the blush getting some attention because I do like the color. I'm hoping I've created a habit of sorts with using it a couple of times per week. *fingers crossed* I can keep it up in May.

Looking forward to hearing and seeing how everyone's project pan is going! 🙂

Oh this palette is number 1 on my wish list. It's gorgeous. 

@AMK721, the shadows in this palette are spectacular 😍 - they apply and blend easily, are nicely pigmented, and have good staying power for me. The metallic shades are great and I like that there’s a pretty good mix of neutrals (cool, warm and neutral toned) in the palettes. It’s worth the splurge but definitely keep an eye out for sales at ND direct, or the sales or $100 rouge rewards on Sephora. 😃 

Wow congrats on the ND Pans those are so deep!! Must have felt so satisfying after working on it for months 🙂 

I didn't realize we are both trying to finish cuticle oil too, and we're at about the same amount left! I'm having the same problem as you - forgetting to apply half the time 😄 I've barely used it all month but your post reminded me to use it just now. I like the effects but not sure I will repurchase another one - I keep wondering if it's not the same effect as just using a hand lotion, which would also be multipurpose? What do you think? 

@xcicee, hand lotion is a good idea and I like that it does double duty. 😃 I was also thinking of using a body oil as well. I tried Bio-oil after the shower and in applying it all over myself, it gets on my hands and I remember that I went in for a manicure (clearly a while ago) and the technicians commented that my nails looked healthy. The only thing I’d done differently was the body oil, so I *may* try that again. Though I’m going with your idea first. 

Congratulations on hitting pan @itsfi !!! You’re doing a great job!

Thank you so much @ElleElleG. Wouldn’t have even been possible without this thread.  It’s really given me a new love for this palette. 🥰 Thank you! 🤗 

Aww 😊 happy to ensure we have this space @itsfi !

Hope you've been well!!

359 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos189
  • December 2019
  • I am going to join for 2020 these are my products. I also have a lot of perfume samples I want to use up.
  • Snapseed.jpg
  • 80962039_490329748286306_3239451337519267840_n.jpg
  • 20200102_233040.jpg
testing