Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Pan It! - 2019 Challenge!

*12/15/19 - The 2020 thread is now live: Pan It! - 2020 Challenge!

๐Ÿ‘‹๐Ÿพ๐Ÿ‘‹๐Ÿพ๐Ÿ‘‹๐Ÿพ Hi All!

Can y'all believe 2019 is literally knocking on the door??  Given its proximity it's high time we get the 2019 Panning Challenge Rolling.

The "Rules"

To accommodate a variety of interests, you all are encouraged to pick items to pan that are most suitable to your collections.  For some, this might mean focusing on a particular type of product (like lipstick) and for others this may include a larger variety spanning your entire makeup or skincare routine.

Getting Started (please share the following)

• Which item(s) you would like to work on
  • How long you will work on said item
  • Goal: explore a new item, revisit an old item, decide whether to keep pass or trash, and/or completely finish item, etc.
  • Starting photo of item

Please Use This Thread To...

• share what item(s) you are working on,
  • provide comparative progress photos of your item(s) monthly (at the beginning of the month when possible),
  • ask questions,
  • encourage others,
  • motivate others with the looks you create with your item(s)

Tips and Tricks to Panning/Getting Some Use Out of Your Stash:

Spoiler
  • Take photos!!  When you think you arenโ€™t making a dent in anything look back at those photos, Iโ€™m certain youโ€™ll see some changes ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
  • If you goal is to hit pan or use something up entirely, try concentrating your brush/applicator in the same area each time you use it
  • Multitask your products: eyeshadows as highlighter, lipstick as blush, eyeshadow as brow powder, etc. 
  • Layer eyeshadow to create different colors (this is especially helpful to get use out of shades youโ€™re not fond of).
  • Have shadows with a ton of fall out?  Use water
  • Watching the progress of othersโ€™ can be fun but try not compare your progress to theirs.  We all use our makeup differently and have different goals.
  • Donโ€™t restrict yourself to only using the item(s) you are working on.  Itโ€™s more than OK to incorporate other items or take a break!
  • Makeup should be funโ€ฆ.if you begin to dread doing your makeup because you made a commitment to use a product that you now hate, TOSS IT!  Do not force yourself to use up something you donโ€™t like.  Move on to something else!  (This includes excluding particular shades from your goals if focusing on palettes, etc.)

Ideas to Help You Pan Those Items:

Spoiler
  • Roll the dice: number your items and use a random number generator to pick what you will use each (day/week/month/etc.) 
  • Layer/Mask: items you are less fond of under things you like
  • Pan a Look: at the beginning of the week pick a look that you can wear everyday
  • Recreate: a look worn by a fellow BICer, celebrity, etc.
  • Spice up an "everyday" look by adding subtle pops of color (in the crease or on the lower lash line, mix lip products to make shades wearable, etc.)

Past Panning Challenges:

Spoiler

May pan be ever in your favor!

Re: Pan It! - 2019 Challenge!

Thx you @missjeanie 

Once the pink Is gone I would toss it.  No sense in making yourself miserable fighting with patchy eyeshadow and especially if theyโ€™re not colors youโ€™d normally wear.  Youโ€™ve done a great job!  I envy peopleโ€™s dedication to panning for months on end @missjeanie 

It's been a bit of an eye opening experience for sure trying to use these things up month after month @heartsmyface .  This is the first real panning challenge I've done.  I can use the light purple, and I do have a dent in it that you can't really see, so I might try to finish that one up.  I keep reminding myself that I have a full year to do it.  I don't need to finish everything right away... but man... I'm so tempted to just ditch it lol !  I can't imagine some of the full size palettes people are working on!

@missjeanie  If youโ€™ve given yourself a year to use it up perhaps take a month off to use something else and come back to it so it wonโ€™t feel as if youโ€™ve been stuck on the same thing forever:).  I couldnโ€™t even get through a duo without taking breaks, so I am astonished by the larger palettes.  I donโ€™t really pack shadows on my lids though.  I like washes of color most days which doesnโ€™t help with the panning life. 

@heartsmyface I actually ended up taking most of the month of March off from this one!   I just had to... could't keep doing it over and over again... I figured for a first go at a panning project a year was good.  If I get everything done in some way shape or form I'll be super happy!  Maybe I can do a patchy halloween eye look that'll use up the rest of the other shades lol!

@missjeanie if youโ€™re not loving the other shades in the palette, rotate it out or declutter!! My big hurdle for this challenge has been trying to push myself to use things that I donโ€™t enjoy, and I dont think thatโ€™s the purpose! Iโ€™m much happier rotating in things that I used to love, forgotten items that get shoved back in the drawer, or just things Iโ€™ve held onto for *almost* too long. Thereโ€™s no shame in the declutter game if youโ€™ve used up what you enjoyed (like the pink and light purple)! Makeup shouldnโ€™t be like forcing yourself to each a vegetable you donโ€™t like just for the sake of getting through it ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Thatโ€™s what Iโ€™ve been doing as well. Iโ€™m using this challenge to make room both by panning and by decluttering unloved items.  If Iโ€™ve be finding something taxing to use for more than a couple weeks then itโ€™s been getting ousted.  

๐Ÿ˜‚ i like your vegetable analogy.  Ha, as long as you take a few bites just to know for sure you donโ€™t like it and wonโ€™t develop a taste for it, then itโ€™s okay to leave it.  @cianni 

@heartsmyface itโ€™s actually helped with my buying decisions lately too, because now I know realistically what I use and how long it  takes to use something up! 

Youre so right @cianni !  The truth is I have a lot of eyeshadows that I really love.  I've grown over the last 5-10 years to find that I don't get sucked in by hype on shadow palettes anymore and am able to find that I have a few colour schemes that I use regularly and there's just no point in buying shades I won't wear.  I have enough shadow that I love to last me a lifetime.  I shouldn't be forcing myself to use stuff I don't like.  I'll use up the pale pink for sure, and I'll keep at the pale purple for a bit, but this might end up getting the boot before the year is out.

Oh my gosh, youโ€™re way ahead of me but Iโ€™d like to get there where I donโ€™t want to try every darn palette that comes out.  I donโ€™t think itโ€™s a good idea for me to put palettes in this challenge as I have to use a different one each day to make sure theyโ€™re all getting love.  Lol, and itโ€™s always a pink or nude eye lately or very soft and diffused looks with the high pigment palettes๐Ÿคฆโ€โ™€๏ธ Yep.  Rational me does not need more.  Iโ€™m trying. @missjeanie 

haha @heartsmyface your eyeshadows are my lipsticks/stains.  I just keep trying more and more, even though they're all the same ish colours lately!

@missjeanie life is too short for makeup you donโ€™t love!! Thatโ€™s so nice that youโ€™ve been able to figure out what you like and what works for you. Iโ€™m still kinda in that process, and this challenge is certainly helping me at least try a bunch of things so I can better learn what I love and what I donโ€™t โ˜บ๏ธ Iโ€™m hoping at the ene of the year Iโ€™ll be able to kinda summarize my thoughts in paragraph or two and thatโ€™ll help guide my low or no buys going forward 

It took quite a few years and poor shadow choices to finally find what I love.  I'll always enjoy my mac shadows, but MUFE makes some amazing mattes that have been my jam now for a few years.  Viseart is also a top contender.  I tend to use mostly mattes and just add in some satins/shimmers on the lid from time to time. You'll get there girl, just take your time and you'll find what's best for you! @cianni 

Great job @missjeanie!

This month I think I did pretty well! I made it through 4 skincare/fragrance items this month, and made a pretty good dent in some makeup products.

Finished!Finished!

In March, I focused on the Bite crayon in glacรฉ, the too faced milk chocolate bronzer, Tarte blush in paaarty, Becca hydra-mist setting powder, benefit porefessional primer, ABH dipbrow And Laura Mercier caviar stick in amethyst.ProgressProgress

ProgressProgress

For April, Iโ€™m going to finish the bite crayon because Iโ€™m so close, and rotate in the buxom lip polish in rose julep and the maybelline lipstick in rosy glow. Iโ€™m going to switch out the Tarte blush for the bentint liquid blush and rotate in the milk highlighter, which was untouched in March haha. Iโ€™m going to rotate out the Laura Mercier because Iโ€™m tired of it for now, and focus on the buxom gold eyeliner to mix up my eye looks. If I finish the Becca powder Iโ€™ll be focusing on my cover fx mattifying setting powder. Iโ€™ll keep using the benefit primer and too faced milk chocolate bronzer.Rotating in for this monthRotating in for this month

An unrelated challenge to myself is to use my morphe 35F fall into frost palette, which I think I used for a week after I bought it and itโ€™s been sitting in my drawer in its box ever since.Why donโ€™t I use this, itโ€™s so beautiful!!Why donโ€™t I use this, itโ€™s so beautiful!!

Amazing progress @cianni !  And that palette looks to have a lot of great colours in it that you'll get so much use out of!

@missjeanie I feel a little silly reaching for this in the spring and summer when it so clearly is a fall palette, but the golds and bronzes are stunning, so Iโ€™m sure ill be able to go for those often!

I see some purples and mauves that will be great in this transition time of year as well @cianni ! And a bronze eye during the summer is always a go to look!

@cianni I agree that palette is beautiful! I am sure it'll be fun getting through that ๐Ÿ™‚

Best,

Rebecca

How long did it take you to hit pan on paaarty @cianni? I'm curious because part of me would like to hit pan but part of me thinks I just won't be able to do it.

@ShortErica itโ€™s just the 1.5g birthday gift size, but I would say I used it 4-5 days a week since mid December/ early January. The funny thing is that for a while it was the only blush I owned because I always thought I looked silly with it, but since starting this challenge I realize that I love blush ๐Ÿ˜‚ and now im upset to have hit pan LOL. I picked up an ABH trio though at winners hehe ($16.99 CAD.... how could I resist). So I feel like I wonโ€™t actually finish it this year, because  I want to move more into peachy corals for the warmer months.

801 Replies
Photos463
  • Lorac Mega Pro 3
  • ABH Master Palette by Mario
  • ABH Modern Renaissance
  • Urban Decay Naked
  • Urban Decay Naked
  • Too Faced Chocolate Bar
  • Too Faced Chocolate Bar
  • Tarte Tartelette
  • Tarte Tartelette
  • 20181108_222823.jpg