Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Pan It! - 2019 Challenge!

*12/15/19 - The 2020 thread is now live: Pan It! - 2020 Challenge!

👋🏾👋🏾👋🏾 Hi All!

Can y'all believe 2019 is literally knocking on the door??  Given its proximity it's high time we get the 2019 Panning Challenge Rolling.

The "Rules"

To accommodate a variety of interests, you all are encouraged to pick items to pan that are most suitable to your collections.  For some, this might mean focusing on a particular type of product (like lipstick) and for others this may include a larger variety spanning your entire makeup or skincare routine.

Getting Started (please share the following)

• Which item(s) you would like to work on
  • How long you will work on said item
  • Goal: explore a new item, revisit an old item, decide whether to keep pass or trash, and/or completely finish item, etc.
  • Starting photo of item

Please Use This Thread To...

• share what item(s) you are working on,
  • provide comparative progress photos of your item(s) monthly (at the beginning of the month when possible),
  • ask questions,
  • encourage others,
  • motivate others with the looks you create with your item(s)

Tips and Tricks to Panning/Getting Some Use Out of Your Stash:

Spoiler
  • Take photos!!  When you think you aren’t making a dent in anything look back at those photos, I’m certain you’ll see some changes 😃
  • If you goal is to hit pan or use something up entirely, try concentrating your brush/applicator in the same area each time you use it
  • Multitask your products: eyeshadows as highlighter, lipstick as blush, eyeshadow as brow powder, etc. 
  • Layer eyeshadow to create different colors (this is especially helpful to get use out of shades you’re not fond of).
  • Have shadows with a ton of fall out?  Use water
  • Watching the progress of others’ can be fun but try not compare your progress to theirs.  We all use our makeup differently and have different goals.
  • Don’t restrict yourself to only using the item(s) you are working on.  It’s more than OK to incorporate other items or take a break!
  • Makeup should be fun….if you begin to dread doing your makeup because you made a commitment to use a product that you now hate, TOSS IT!  Do not force yourself to use up something you don’t like.  Move on to something else!  (This includes excluding particular shades from your goals if focusing on palettes, etc.)

Ideas to Help You Pan Those Items:

Spoiler
  • Roll the dice: number your items and use a random number generator to pick what you will use each (day/week/month/etc.) 
  • Layer/Mask: items you are less fond of under things you like
  • Pan a Look: at the beginning of the week pick a look that you can wear everyday
  • Recreate: a look worn by a fellow BICer, celebrity, etc.
  • Spice up an "everyday" look by adding subtle pops of color (in the crease or on the lower lash line, mix lip products to make shades wearable, etc.)

Past Panning Challenges:

Spoiler

May pan be ever in your favor!

Re: Pan It! - 2019 Challenge!

I see some very promising dips in the Tarte already @SpaceLlama !  With frequent use you should hit pan in no time!

Thank you, @ElleElleG! It's ways hard to tell how much product you've used until you hit pan, so I'm hoping pictures will help 🙂

Ok I reassessed everything I have this past weekend, and have decided what I’ll be focusing on for this year! It’s kind of all over the place 🙈 but ultimately my goal is to finish what I have, and figure out what are my  “must have” items, so I can stop accumulating random things i only use twice. Pics to follow!

Spoiler
Hair - finish all hair masks, texture sprays and products. This doesn’t include Moroccan oil treatment or dry shampoo because I know I pan those regularly and it wouldn’t be a challenge!

skincare - usually pretry good with this, but I’d like to pan most of my minis. I have separated a “travel mini” set of 2 cleansers, 2 toners and 2 moisturizers and that should be enough. Unfortunately I don’t travel often enough to need all these TSA friendly sizes 😂 and id like to work my way through the wash off face masks I have. I’ve decided I prefer sheet masks, so I’d like to finish up what I have left.

body - I used to always buy those value sized moisturizers on sale and now they’re taking up valuable real estate under my sink, so I’d like to make my way through those.

Makeup - one blush, one mini setting powder, one mini highlighter (very ambitious, I know), 3 primers (one full sized and two mini), and some lip products. I have over 50 at this point, and would like to work through the items that are less than half full. Off the top of my head I believe that would be 2 glosses and 3 lipsticks.

bonus - Not necessarily pan, but I’d like to try to use one palette a month. I also want to try to incorporate my unconventional highlighters into my routine somehow.  

@cianni I think focusing on one palette a month is a great way to make progress without getting bored of the item and see a lot of people focusing on a specific palette for X amount of time 😉 

YAY, so glad you're in @cianni !

Using the same items so often will ABSOLUTELY help you identify your must haves!!

I'd love to get some opinions. I feel like I'm good at "panning" skin care since I go through entire bottles and then move on to the next. But I'm considering trying to pan a blush.

Blush collection:

Spoiler
20181108_222823.jpg
Tarte blush bazaar from 2017
Tarte paaarty blush from the birthday gift
Bare Minerals blush called Secret

Now my question is, is it possible to pan any of these? I believe I've used paaarty over 100 times (I track my uses and I'm guessing since I don't have the paper in front of me) and don't think I'm anywhere close. I am not sure I want to only use one blush shade all year in order to pan it.

Do I approach this another way? Two of the pans in the palette are highlighters so do I instead focus on one blush color a month for the 10 months in 2019 that will be part of my no buy?

Let me know if you've panned a blush or tried to and what you recommend. Thanks!

I think I'd like to do a rotating pan project for blush. Pick one shade a month to focus on. I doubt I will pan any but at least I will use all of them. I'd love some feedback to help me choose what blush shade to start using in January.

20181108_222823.jpg

A little detail about the shades I have:

Spoiler

Tarte holiday blush bazaar top circle (at 12 o'clock) then rotating clockwise:

-Highlight - Whimsical - X Not Included X

-Angelic (peachy pink)

-Fortunate (pink melon)

-Skillful (pink berry)

-Exhilarating (fuschia)

Second circle (at 1 o'clock) then rotating clockwise:

-Endless (pink raspberry)

-Dainty (melon)

-Extraordinary (shimmering coral)

-Highlight - Worthy - X Not Included X

-Authentic (plummy rose)

-Tarte blush - Paaarty (nude)

-Bare Minerals Secret (mauve)

Please help me pick - Which one do you think for January?

@ShortErica Authentic is my pick! 

For some strange reason, I pan blush frequently. I've hit pan on Nars, Benefit and UD within the past month. Maybe I wear too much 😃

Thanks @GG84!

That's crazy that you've hit so much pan. I've used the paarty one over 100 times and feel I'm nowhere close. I doubt you wear to much. 🙂 What type of brush do you use?

Hmm I don't wear blush so I can't help you but so much @ShortErica . What if you pick one or two to focus on for a month and then switch?  It may take longer to hit pan but you'll definitely get some good dips going!

@ShortErica

I have panned 2 blushes in my life (so far) the powder one was Tarte's celebrated and I had to use it pretty much daily for many months to use it up. Luckily it was a color that went with many different makeup looks but there were times where I did switch up the blush color just because it did become tedious and boring for me. If you pick a color that can be used as a nice all over lid shade, that is a nice way to use it as well.

@virgo87 thanks for your input. I think these posts have confirmed I want to go a use/try every blush route vs. just use and pan one.

@ShortErica I was able to hit pan on Paaarty earlier this year after 4-5 months of weekday use. I also used a bit as a transition shade for shadow, so that helped it along a little. I think it will also depend on the brush you use, but this isn't an unreasonable goal as long as you're not rotating it with a lot of other things.

I also hit pan in a mini Nars blush after maybe 5 months. Same pattern; weekday blush and a bit of transition shade.

Thanks for the detailed timeline @fieldsofclover! I'm thinking that since I want to try to use a little of all the blush that panning may not be feasible. I should probably consider my sample size lip products for the 2019 challenge vs. the blush.

I have panned a few blushes, @ShortErica, but only after daily use. I used only one color at a time, which made it easy. I blend more colors now, and would be very surprised to pan any of them next year. Panning more than one blush seems like a pretty lofty goal, but who knows🤷🏻‍♀️

I wasn't sure if even panning one is too ambitious since I would like to rotate blush @eshoe. I'm feeling guilty that there are some shades I haven't even touched yet in the palette.

Oooh I gotta get in on this. I have a few palettes, blushes, and setting powders I can definitely pan, and I constantly use up mascaras and eyeliners. Might even have a couple lippies I can try to use up... but I have so many that’s really not as realistic haha.  

Yes, come over to the dark side @alexasteph . Pick whichever 1 or 2 lippies you're close to finishing and start there!

RE: Pan It! - 2019 Challenge!

2019: a year of hair, lips, and body! Hair: right now I think I have roughly a dozen various shampoos, conditioners, and styling products hanging around. I would like to have them ALL gone by next christmas and only have a) my mainstay shampoo, conditioner and a deep conditioner, and b) only one (max two) Play samples at a time to work on instead of like six or seven. Lips: after various destashes and use-ups throughout 2018 I’ve gone from 30+ to 13 lip products! I’d like to knock out at least six or seven through the year, but I’ll be happy if I finish a full size (working on UD Vice in 1993 right now) and like four deluxe sizes. Body: so many bar soaps in the cupboard that don’t need to be here! Like seriously twelve of them. They will all be GONEEEEE and I promise to keep only one body cream/lotion in stock at a time (I’ve been really good with this so far). 2019 I will also try to get through samples and such in a timely manner, and keep paring down my “necessary” products to what I reach for regularly that works, and is cruelty free. WHEW that was a lot!

Re: RE: Pan It! - 2019 Challenge!

*snaps* you are FO-CUSED @KeriCherryDee love it!  It's so hard to not hoard hair products!  I may need to join you on that journey.

RE: Re: RE: Pan It! - 2019 Challenge!

Thank you @ElleElleG !! My goal is to eventually be able to fit all my products in a single small-to-medium bag so I can travel easily!
10 Replies
testing