Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Ordering from Ulta online? Good, bad, experiences?

I just joined ebates and I'm thinking of starting to order from Ulta online. Is their shipping pretty reliable? How's their customer service for online orders? I've only orders from Sephora online.

TIA!

Re: Ordering from Ulta online? Good, bad, experiences?

Omg please avoid Ulta at all costs!! You have been warned. I ordered from Ulta and entered my correct address at check out so then Ulta somehow ships to a 4 year old address they got from my address book! I finally see after waiting forever that Ulta delivered my order but I keep checking and nothing. I chat with Ulta and they say sorry we shipped to this other address and just end the chat. I try to chat again not possible for me anymore! I was not rude in case someone is thinking that’s why I got cut off. I send them an email. They can’t resend or refund they  say because they successfully delivered! How do they know if anyone lives there? They don’t they’re asking me! I keep emailing them ok can I get a replacement it’s not my fault they shipped to an old address but could not be helped in any way I called spoke to a supervisor she said it’s not they’re problem. Don’t do Ulta they’re cs is the worst!

I have had the worst experiences with Ulta shipping complete packages, there is always something missing. Their customer service is horrible, I will never buy from Ulta due to their Customer Service. 

Shipping from ULTA is always very fast for me, I get my packages a day or so after I place the order, always. Their GWP's are fabulous, easy to get right from your checkout page, there is a reminder there if you forget when you add to cart. They have forgotten my samples a couple of times, but I have actually gotten full size items a couple of times in their grab-bag sample selection!  The big GWP with $150 purchase always has a lot of nice items, some full size, most DS, not just a bunch of crummy foils, plus a nice makeup bag or tote. Love, love, love the points for cash program that just recently became available to customers in my state, and I really like that I only have to spend $350 to get Platinum status and points don't expire. I've never had to contact CS because my orders have always been complete and unbroken (except for missing samples, which I didn't fuss about).

Shipping is a little slow, but I have been spoiled by Amazon Prime. Other than that I have been very happy with Online orders from Ulta. The samples I have gotten have been nice. I got my birthday gift right after signing up for the rewards program, and double points on my orders that month. They also have  the $3.50 off $10 coupon and I have liked the Ulta only sets I have gotten. (tarte, Bare Minerals). 

Shipping is slow, I've had things arrive broken, my samples are often missing, platinum members don't get free shipping (but their spend is closer to VIB than Rouge).  

BUT

CS has always apologetically replaced broken or missing items (including refunding an order and letting me keep the items once when things couldn't be replaced, and there was plenty in the order in fine shape).  The GWPs are much nicer. There are more discounts. And I LOVE that the points are worth money to the store. I've grabbed some awesome stuff free!

I had an issue once when they credited me less points than they should have (i think it was 10x points, and something went wrong). Customer service credited me the points within a few days after I sent an email.

I just returned a couple of items from an online order. As per their instructions, I printed my email and brought it along. The cashier told me only her manager could process the return. She was thanking me profusely for bringing the email print out. I also brought the GWP I received with the order. She gave me back the GWP. The manager thanked me for my business. THAT IS GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE!

My experience with Ulta is a mixed bag - I've never received an order from Ulta with all of my items in it, even when I only ordered one item once (I legit got an empty box.) However, their customer service about it has always been fairly reasonable - they re-ship the missing item if still available and refund if not. I wouldn't buy LE items from them and expect shipping to be slow and incomplete.

However, they've never lead me in circles about their products or promos, either. I order from Nordstrom and Beauty dot Com when I can and Ulta is my back-up these days. (Just think, Sephora, I used to order thousands a year from you - and now Nordstrom sees that money from me (plus more since they carry MAC, Jane Iredale, Jo Malone, Tom Ford, and Charlotte Tilbury) and I get way more out of it and better customer service than you could imagine!) 

I live in the Midwest and I think that's where their shipping center is located since all my packages come from IL, so I have never had an issue with the shipping taking too long etc. I once had an incident where a product had leaked out, and I called customer service, while they were not able to replace the product which was part of a LE set, they refunded me for the product. Other than that I have never had to contact them regarding online ordering or shipping issues. 

Years ago I ordered an LE nail polish and threw some other polishes into the order. After a week, I had to call them and find out where on earth my package was. They hadn't shipped it yet. The gal said she'd have them send it out soon. I received the package minus that LE polish, which was completely sold out by the time they finally shipped my order. The woman I spoke to didn't think to mention that to me or she didn't even check what the problem with the order was. I would have cancelled the order to save them the hassle of sending the box out. I would NOT order anything LE from Ulta based on that one experience. You roll the dice when ordering something limited edition from any retailer, but I've never had another big company not send out an order.

I live on the east coast, and my shipping times have improved so far this year. For instance, I placed an order on Friday, and it'll be here today. That was unthinkable for Ulta last year, when it would take a minimum of 10 days to get to me. They're improving, and their loyalty program beats Sephora's by leaps and bounds. Too bad they don't have the same brand range. 😕

Their "Love your Hair Event is starting 5/10 and running through 5/30  with specials running each day of the event.

Time to stock up!

Ooh thanks for the heads up!

Looks like I should stock up on deva curl condition (I forgot to add that when I got the shampoo during the 20% off sale). Has anyone tried the new reform no frizz line? I might try that too.

Shipping is  very slow and sometimes I have trouble adding gwps to my order, even when I've met their minimum purchase qualifications.  They've also forgotten to include my samples on occasion, but have actually sent them to me in a plain envelope after the fact when I've let them know.

Overall, they have really stepped up the game with their gwps, sample bags and extra point promos over the last year.  I've been quite impressed with the value.

The Ulta in store experience is still lacking IMO, although my Ulta recently had an event with Poppy from Lipstick Queen and I was bummed to miss that one.  

The in store shopping experience is the WORST!!  The SAs always argue with me, tell me they don't carry it when I know they do, the whole store is all picked over like I can never find an unopened package, etc.  I refuse to set foot in that store.  It's always a disaster zone.

I've never had an issue with online orders from Ulta.  They have always come well packaged.  Things that are liquids are packed inside a sealed plastic bag.  Shipping can be slow, but the last 5 - 6 months, shipping times have improved greatly.  I now usually get my orders in 5 days or so compared to 10 - 14 in previous years. 

I can't speak for the CS for online orders since I have never had an issue that required contacting them.  When I've contacted them about missing points or some other inquiry, I've always gotten a response and resolution within 24 hours.    As others have stated, their rewards system is AWESOME!!

I've never had any problems ordering online from Ulta.  Yes the shipping is sooo slow and they don't package things very well (I've seen quite a number of people post pictures of the Best of Becca set with the shimmering skin perfector all smashed) but I love the ease of their online ordering.  I love how I can redeem rewards points to deduct $ from my purchase.  I LOVE their gwps.  Once I ordered a Becca ssp (the champagne gold before Sephora got it because I couldn't wait) and a jumbo size Porefessional.  I got 2 gwps from Benefit (a travel bag which was awesome; and a small Porefessional) and I got a deluxe sample of the Becca liquid ssp in opal.  Plus I applied my points (which I had a bunch at that time) to basically get 15% off my order. 

Honestly, if Ulta had all the high end brands I like, I would just shop there.

Agree with most- shipping is slow but the benefits (aka perks) outweigh that. For me, I have 2 Ulta's and 3 Sephora's within 5 miles from my house as well as 2 targets- if I need something bad, I'll just go to the store and get it. I like to order deals I want but don't need online so I'm fine with the delay.

44 Replies
Conversation Stats