Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Formula Changes

This thread is for use to keep each other updated on product formula changes.  All too often, a favorite product can get changed without our knowledge.  Then, we're left scrambling to figure out if we like it or not.  Many formula changes don't seem to be for the better, and then it's a challenge to find an "original" formulation for sale.  

Please post what product formula changes you've noticed recently.  It can help alert others and avoid some heartache.

post.jpg

Re: Formula Changes

Another one bites the dust...

1000003296.png

I knew when I saw the discount on Sulawhasoo's cleansers, something was up!

Sulwhasoo Gentle Cleansing Oil Makeup Remover 6.76 fl oz / 200 mland another product looks like they hhave been reformulated (showing up as new), and the price went up 2 USD 😑.  I use their foaming cleanser which is OOS and will probably reappear as a "new" product.

@danielledanielle I appreciate you posting.   I'm sorry that this has happened to you, tho.  So disheartening. 

Thanks.  @greeneyedgirl107 , I came looking for this thread because I'm so over all these reformulations thus far

First my Dior Backstage Face & Body Foundation , then belif The True Cream Aqua Bomb Hydrating Moisturizer With Squalane & belif The True Cream Aqua Bomb Hydrating Moisturizer With Squalane and now this 🙄

Sometimes you can grab the old versions at Walmart or Amazon, but that only lasts so long.

@danielledanielle oh noooooo!  That's way too many!  I feel your pain.  Truly.  💕 

Wow, @danielledanielle , you've been hard hit!  I feel your pain and frustration!  At least there are lots of new products coming out right now and over the next few months. 🙂

innisfree Volcanic AHA Pore Clearing Clay Mask 3.38 oz/ 100 mL seems like it's changed.  I'm very tired and suffering from eye fatigue, so please correct me if I'm wrong.  This is such a HG for me, and I'm finally getting my pores on track after being negligent this fall/winter.  

Here are the "old" ingredients:

Water / Aqua / Eau, Titanium Dioxide (Ci 77891),Butylene Glycol, Silica, Glycerin, Trehalose, Volcanic Ash, Polyvinyl Alcohol, Bentonite, Kaolin, Caprylic/Caprictriglyceride, Glyceryl Stearate, Stearic Acid, Cetearylalcohol, Pvp, 1,2-Hexanediol, Peg-100 Stearate, Polysorbate60, Iron Oxides (Ci 77499), Hydrogenated Vegetableoil, Xanthan Gum, Juglans Regia (Walnut) Shell Powder,Sorbitan Stearate, Zea Mays (Corn) Starch, Polyacrylate-13, Polysorbate 20, Iron Oxides (Ci 77492), Mannitol, Microcrystalline Cellulose, Lactic Acid/Glycolic Acidcopolymer, Lactic Acid, Polyisobutene, Iron Oxides (Ci 77491), Menthoxypropanediol, Tetrasodium Pyrophosphate, Disodium Edta, Ethylhexylglycerin, Sorbitan Isostearate, Aluminum Hydroxide, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Tocopherol.

Here are the "new" ingredients:

WATER / AQUA / EAU, TITANIUM DIOXIDE (CI 77891), BUTYLENE GLYCOL, VOLCANIC ASH, GLYCERIN, SILICA, TREHALOSE, CAPRYLIC/CAPRIC TRIGLYCERIDE, KAOLIN, BENTONITE, POLYVINYL ALCOHOL, GLYCERYL STEARATE, STEARIC ACID, CETEARYL ALCOHOL, 1,2-HEXANEDIOL, PVP, PEG-100 STEARATE, POLYSORBATE 60, IRON OXIDES (CI 77499), HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OIL, XANTHAN GUM, JUGLANS REGIA (WALNUT) SHELL POWDER, LACTIC ACID/GLYCOLIC ACID COPOLYMER, SORBITAN STEARATE, ZEA MAYS (CORN) STARCH, POLYACRYLATE-13, POLYSORBATE 20, MANNITOL, DEXTRIN, THEOBROMA CACAO (COCOA) EXTRACT, MICROCRYSTALLINE CELLULOSE, LACTIC ACID, POLYISOBUTENE, MENTHOXYPROPANEDIOL, TETRASODIUM PYROPHOSPHATE, DISODIUM EDTA, ETHYLHEXYLGLYCERIN, SORBITAN ISOSTEARATE, ALUMINUM HYDROXIDE, TRIETHOXYCAPRYLYLSILANE, TOCOPHEROL

Of course, the disclaimer from the direct website says, For informational purposes only. While we endeavor to keep this ingredient list accurate, please be advised that our ingredient list may change. We recommend you refer to the ingredient list on the individual product package for the most up to date ingredient list.

20230524_185139.jpg

  my newest innisfree Volcanic AHA Pore Clearing Clay Mask 3.38 oz/ 100 mL via Sephora.  Ingredients seem to differ from my old, and from the "new" on Sephora's site.

@Titian06 @itsfi I hate all the discrepancies. 

Oh, no, @greeneyedgirl107 !  Maybe try it on a small area of your face or even on the inside of your arm first to see how it goes.  I hope it works out. 🤞

@Titian06 thanks for the support.   This time of year my pores get a little larger and more noticeably clogged, so I'm not looking forward to experimenting.  I do have 1/3 of my "old" jar left, but I want to be proactive in seeing if I need to search online for the "old" version or not.  I wish the timing were better.  I'm trying to calm myself, but this is such an important product for me.

@greeneyedgirl107 - It doesn't look like any significant changes were made formula wise.  Some ingredients switched places, moving up or down the list one or two places.  Both iron oxides were removed.  Iron oxides are used as coloring agents.  Theobroma cacao (cocoa butter) was added.  This is an emollient.  How these "minor" changes affect your skin could be significant since everyone's skin reacts differently to percentages of ingredients in skincare products.  Maybe you can get a sample before you need to repurchase.

@greeneyedgirl107, the ingredients list are similar but not identical. Some ingredients are listed in a different order and that may be what presents itself to you as a major change. Certainly there are changes, but I don't know how significant they are or how they impact the performance or results of the mask; that will likely depend on the person.

As for ingredients present in one formulation and not the other - 

• The  "old" formulation includes Iron Oxides (Ci 77492) and Iron Oxides (Ci 77491); the new formulation does not.
  • The new formulation includes Dextrin and Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Extract; the older version does not. 

The different ingredients in each appear in the middle to latter half of the ingredients list, suggesting that if the ingredients are listed by volume, with those in higher concentration at the top, then it seems as if an argument could be made that the modifications may be minimal. That said, different skin types will response differently to a product. 

@itsfi @Titian06 thanks for weighing in...and for calming me down.   I get so upset when a HG has a formula change.  I'll likely buy one of the new ones soon and try it for a while.  Then, I'll see if I need to hunt down an old one online. 

Ulta has been marketing philosophy's Microdelivery Exfoliating Facial Wash as being "new" which I take to mean that it has been reformulated yet AGAIN!  I can't keep track of how many times it's been changed -- and never for the better.  I'm seeing way too many irritants!

Aqua/Water/Eau, Solum Diatomeae/Diatomaceous Earth/Terre De Diatomees, Acrylates Copolymer, Sodium Cocoyl Apple Amino Acids, Glycerin, Decyl Glucoside, Disodium Cocoamphodiacetate, Lauryl Glucoside, Hydroxyacetophenone, Sodium Hydroxide, Polysorbate 20, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Hexylene Glycol, 1,2-Hexanediol, Caprylyl Glycol, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Peel Extract, Limonene, Panthenol, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Juice, Tetrasodium Glutamate Diacetate, Trisodium Ethylenediamine Disuccinate, Disodium Phosphate, Polysorbate 60, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Sodium Phosphate, Tocopherol, Tocotrienols, Borago Officinalis Seed Oil, Triolein, Trilinolein.

2603446cm_alt01.jpe

Note the pump style top.

In March 2021 I posted about First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair® Hydrating Serum being changed.  Well, it looks like this version/name doesn't really exist anymore, and has been replaced by First Aid Beauty Hydrating Serum with Hyaluronic Acid 1.7 oz / 50 mL .  And what a surprise - the ingredients have changed again!  

The new ingredients are:

Spoiler
Aqua (Water, Eau), Glycerin, Glycereth-26, Squalane, Sodium Hyaluronate, Soluble Collagen, Colloidal Oatmeal, Panthenol, Chrysanthemum Parthenium (Feverfew) Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, Allantoin, Ethylhexylglycerin, Sorbitan Oleate, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Sodium PCA, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Hydroxide, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, Tetrasodium EDTA.

The former ingredients were:

Spoiler

Aqua/Water/Eau, Glycerin, Soluble Collagen, Methyl Gluceth-20, Phenoxyethanol, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Colloidal Oatmeal, Maltodextrin, Sodium Hydroxide, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Panthenol, Hyaluronic Acid, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Sodium PCA, Chrysanthemum Parthenium (Feverfew) Extract, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, Allantoin, Disodium Phosphate, Polysorbate 60, Sodium Phosphate, Tetrasodium EDTA.

The ingredients BEFORE that were:

Spoiler
Water, Glycerin, Soluble Collagen, Methyl Gluceth-20, Colloidal Oatmeal, Palmitoyl Tripeptide-5, Chrysanthemum Parthenium (Feverfew) Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Caprylyl Glycol, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Allantoin, Panthenol, Hyaluronic Acid, Sodium PCA, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Leuconostoc/Radish Root Ferment Filtrate, Maltodextrin, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Hydroxide, Sodium Nitrate, Disodium Phosphate, Polysorbate 60, Sodium Phosphate, EDTA, Glyoxal. 

Has anyone noticed a difference in the Youth To The People Superberry Hydrate + Glow Dream Night Cream + Mask with Vitamin C 2 oz / 59 ml ? The last 2 jars I’ve opened doesn’t smell like it used to. I loved the berry scent and now I can’t smell it at all.

No please don’t tell me that it isn’t so @faeriegirl . I am still working my way through my jar. All of the good masks seem to be reformulated. 

I hope not @Loretta55 . It still feels the same, just the scent is different. 

Sorry the scent is important to me also @faeriegirl

Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum has been reformulated. Here is the "old" ingredient list:

Cyclotetrasiloxane, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethiconol, Cyclotrisiloxane, Parfum (Fragrance), Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool, Benzyl Salicylate, Limonene, Geraniol, Amyl Cinnamal, Citronellol.

Here is the "new" ingredient list:

Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethiconol, Dimethicone, Isododecane, Propoxytetramethyl Piperidinyl Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Parfum (Fragrance), Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool, Benzyl Salicylate, Limonene, Geraniol, Amyl Cinnamal, Citronellol.

I stocked up on this a long while ago, and thought it was my error that I didn't catch the reformulation.  However, Ulta still lists the "old" ingredients on their site, which makes me think this is a more recent change.  I saw John Paul on television once, and he seemed like such a great person.  I know this is a popular product, so I encourage others to contact the company as I did.  You never know what could happen.

Oh - and I don't like the new formulation at all.  It is thicker, and more difficult to spread.  Plus, the results pale in comparison.  I actually think this product may have been changed at least one other time in the >10 years since I've been using it -- but I never noticed a difference before.

51gN4MeZL6L._SL1500_.jpg

74 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 74 replies
  • 343 Hearts Given
  • 15 Contributors
Photos7
  • post.jpg
  • 714zJTTHJpL._SY355_.jpg
  • download.jpe
  • 51gN4MeZL6L._SL1500_.jpg
  • 2603446cm_alt01.jpe