Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Love At First Sample!!! ๐Ÿฅฐ

I know youโ€™ve tried a sample (or ten) of something and it was so magical it made you stop everything and buy a product cause it was love at first sample!  What was it and did the full sized version live up to your initial heart-melted impression? Or is it still on your shopping list to pick up at your earliest convenience?  

The first time I can recall this happening to me was when Sephora still carried Dermadoctor.  I had a sample of their KP Duty Body Scrub.  I used it just to push it through my stash and was absolutely blown away by how immediately soft and exfoliated my skin was!  Instant purchase!   Itโ€™s been six years and I have yet to find any body scrub that compares -and Iโ€™ve tried!

A more recent love-at-first-sample is the Dior Backstage Face and Body Primer!  Itโ€™s a slightly peach tinted,creamy gel consistency and is mega hydrating while blurring subtle imperfections on its own but making foundation apply so smoothly!!!  Plus it has a beautiful floral fragrance which may not be everyoneโ€™s cup of tea but itโ€™s very pleasing to me. ๐Ÿ™‚  

Dior BACKSTAGE Face & Body Primer 1.6 oz/ 50 mL 

DD1045C5-8116-4168-8E3F-956F889C7256.gif

โ€ƒ

3A43182D-7CF8-4635-A0A3-6C4D9C155F6A.jpeg

โ€ƒ

Re: Love At First Sample!!! ๐Ÿฅฐ

@Cissy63, I just got back into coloring / highlighting my hair and your feedback of this helping to "hold the color" in your hair sounds fabulous! 

P.S. This is absolutely a true sample! Samples come in all shapes and sizes - foils, deluxe, mini. 

Hi @itsfi . I found my roots did not show as soon as they did prior to using it 

That's fantastic @Cissy63๐Ÿ˜ I'm gonna sort through my hair samples to see if I have this one.

@Cissy63  Do you apply a leave in conditioner first before โ€˜sealingโ€™ the cuticle? 

Hi @heartsmyface !  No I donโ€™t apply a leave in conditioner prior to using the product.   I use it on its own prior to shampoo use.   I saturate my hair with it, in particular the roots, and spread it out to the rest of my hair. I leave it on for 1-3 minutes.  Then jump in the shower and rinse it out.  The shampoo and conditioner as usual.

@Cissy63  Ooooo I can remember loving this one from a foil too!!

Hi @ather !  I am glad you enjoyed it too.  Iโ€™m still using it!!

@Cissy63 it totally counts as a sample. You liked it? Hair color is expensive, it's great if it made your color last longer ๐Ÿฅฐ๐Ÿ’—

@CynthieLu  Yes. I believe my color stayed longer before fading.  But I have a lot of hair so I wish the tube was larger.

@Cissy63  I think that counts as a sample!  And ouhhhh nice!!!  Itโ€™s such a challenge keeping color fresh so awesome product to know about!  
I rode the sample train with Sunday Riley Good Genes for months before caving and buying it๐Ÿ˜„.  I still have residual excitement when I see samples of it! 

Oh @heartsmyface I too broke down and bought that one.  Itโ€™s a great product! 

Well, I used the sample of Gucci Lโ€™obscur mascara right up (stalling at the thought of spending $50 on a mascara and finally had to cave and get a full sized tube.  itโ€™s super black and more thickening than lengthening.  Hereโ€™s hoping I love the full sized as much as the mini!  Gucci L'Obscur Lengthening Mascara 1 Eve Black 

D009A711-0D6A-4BED-9508-2474B3E39253.jpeg

โ€ƒ

@heartsmyface  Ooooooo canโ€™t wait to hear your thoughts!!

@ather   The Gucci is sooo nice!!! Itโ€™s super black yet natural looking on and doesnโ€™t harden the lashes.  

@heartsmyface I hope the full version lives up to your expectations ๐Ÿ˜„

@CynthieLu   It has been.  I noticed no difference between the sample and the full sized.  -well, except the stress Iโ€™m going to run out soon has been alleviated๐Ÿ˜†

I kept thinking about this and I came up with some fragrances that I definitely picked up right away after trying them. My go-to staple CLEAN RESERVE Reserve - Skin , just the perfect everyday scent. Carolina Herrera Good Girl Eau de Parfum perfect for a date night and something about it just captivated me the first time I smelled it. Most recently Gentle Fluidity by Maison Francis Kurkdjian. I haven't picked it up in a bigger size because of the price but once the sample runs out, I might pick up a travel size. When I was younger and living in another country, I stalked the Duty Free for Gucci Flora by Gucci Eau de Parfum after smelling it in a magazine. It was my go to scent in high school and college. Probably the only perfume I've ever used up and repurchased.

@makeitup305  Oh gosh I remember when magazines were the only real way I ever tested perfumes out.  Ha, i used to be confused when Iโ€™d purchase the perfumes cause I was in love with the perfume/glossy paper mixture and not just the perfume๐Ÿ˜… 

@heartsmyface I lived out of the US growing up and US magazines were "fancy", so it was special when somebody had one and you got to smell the perfume. I remember lots of Estee Lauder and Lancome perfumes back then.

@makeitup305  oh really?  Whereโ€™d you grow up?  Yes!!!  Lancรดme, Tommy Hilfiger, Dior!  My grandma taught me to cut the perfume samples out and put them in my dresser โ€˜to make the under things smell niceโ€™. ๐Ÿฅฒ. 

@heartsmyface I'm from Costa Rica, so we had a lot of Latinamerican magazines similar to Cosmopolitan but not always the American versions. It's funny how small memories like that endure. I remember my aunts rubbing the perfume flaps on their wrists to try out the scents. 

Conversation Stats
Photos22
  • 3A43182D-7CF8-4635-A0A3-6C4D9C155F6A.jpeg
  • DD1045C5-8116-4168-8E3F-956F889C7256.gif
  • Sample 2 Full Size - Lancoฬ‚me.jpeg
  • Photo from US Lookfantastic site
  • D009A711-0D6A-4BED-9508-2474B3E39253.jpeg
  • Benefit Concealer.jpg
  • Screenshot_20220826-133617_Chrome.jpg
  • Saint Jane SPF.jpg
  • 560dce3d-8ba7-5b69-8453-7a5e70aced25.jpeg.jpg
  • Nest Orange oil.JPG